Tapping noise on right side.

macsnjets

Reaction score
So…cruising along my 4.6 with just over 80k it decided to eject #3 spark plug. I had a reputable speed shop install a timesert and now that it’s up and running I have what sounds like valve tap on the right side. Noise is louder once warmed up and comes and goes. I’ve pulled the right valve cover and began to inspect the rocker arms and lash adjusters but one thing I noticed which keeps making me think, when the tapping noise is there it’s really audible by the right front tire making me think it’s an exhaust manifold leak. It’s not down low like rod knock. I can only think when the plug blew out maybe the raw fuel caused the manifold to crack or gasket to blow out. My question is would there be any easy way to rule out a crack or leak or do I need to drop the k-member to drop the exhaust manifold or will I be able to take it out with taking out the H pipe and starter? What’s it gonna take?

thanks in advance.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Before getting too wrapped up in it make sure the rest of the spark plugs are torqued to spec. Did the mechanic who fixed the head remove the head? Could be something is loose.

OP
OP
M

macsnjets

Reaction score
I already checked the other spark plugs. They’re all good. No, the head wasn’t pulled to install the time sert.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Uh oh....if it's like a traditional helicoil, I hope they didn't use the punch tool to knock the tang right down into the cylinder. That would be a dick move if they did that. That's hardened steel.

You'd think it would just get ejected with the exhaust gas, but you never know.

OP
OP
M

macsnjets

Reaction score
No. A time sert is not a helicoil. It’s an threaded insert. Like it’s Cal Van counterpart Much better than a helicoil for spark plug repair.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Oh I see now, it's flanged. Think they could've chosen one that had too much thread depth, past the ground strap, and the piston is slamming into it?

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’d suggest taking a mechanics stethoscope to the head and try to pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from. It could be the piston stated above for sure. But in my experience usually when you do something to the car and it starts causing issues, usually it’s the last thing that was done that caused the issue.

Reaction score
I had a catalytic converter start coming apart on a 5.4 2 valve f250 I had it sounded like engine noise but ended up being a catalytic converter getting loose inside. I second a stethoscope harbor freight has them dirt cheap they are very helpful for pinpointing noises.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
yep, the stethoscope should be in everybody's tool assortment. first thing to use when you are trying to pinpoint noises.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online