Thinking about going back to regular towels for drying

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
No way I would use a water blade on a car personally. Any contaniments left from washing will be slid across the paint = extra work in the polishing process. I use a leaf blower because its very fast and finish it off with a WW micro fiber towel, they are designed to trap left over stuff in the ww pockets and keep it away from the clear coat . The small regular ones suck for drying! The shamwow and absorber works well too!! The autozone microfiber stuff doesn't do justice to boutique products for sure!

I think you guys are to extreme in this sense. Make sure you scrub the car thoroughly and Cali-blade it off. The way I see it is that your going to introduce light swirls into the paint in some fashion unless you blow dry it off to the point where there is no water which can be a pita! I've used the blade fora few years and it saves my waffle weave towel from getting soaked. As long as the surface is free from debris it will not scratch.

I use cotton towels for my drying, have been for years but it does create some drying induced marring on the paint. Waffle Weave is the best way to go, the water blades do damage and ive never had any luck with a chamois lasting long

Like I said never seen anything out the ordinary that a microfiber can't do such as putting super light scratches as anything else. The car is going to get marred no matter what just depends what the severity of it.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Only NooBs that dont understand how easily paint scratches uses a water blade.

I would never touch my car with a water blade.... even for $1000

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
i use a deerskin shammy, it was my dads, proly about 15-20 years old and still works amazingly

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I think you guys are to extreme in this sense. Make sure you scrub the car thoroughly and Cali-blade it off. The way I see it is that your going to introduce light swirls into the paint in some fashion unless you blow dry it off to the point where there is no water which can be a pita! I've used the blade fora few years and it saves my waffle weave towel from getting soaked. As long as the surface is free from debris it will not scratch.

I do not think we are "extreme" for wanting to take the best possible car of our paint, to do anything less is just careless. You shouldn't have to scrub your paint if you are properly maintaining it. And I FULLY agree with Handz in saying that only uneducated noobs use a water blade to dry their car. Why purposely damage your paint when there are better solutions available? A shamey, a waffle weave towel, or forced air are so much better. Washing the car then throwing a coat of wax on is not the proper or best way to take care of your paint.

Anyways, don't use a water blade. Go read on some of the big detailing forums or talk to Greg.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my paint is toast anyways, once it's repainted, I probably won't be using the water blade anymore. Of course it's going to be red, so scratches shine through like nobodys business.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I wash my car I go to a place around the corner that is a DIY car was with the seperate bays, the long foamy brush, ect. I take my own bucket/soap/sponge and get it good and clean there. Normally costs $2-3 and a few mins to go through it all. After that they have a blow-dryer that gets the majority of it off and after that I go over it with some MF cloths with some spray-detailer to finish drying it and find all the spots the blower missed.

I would have to agree that no matter what you put on the car to dry it, it will leave some kind of mark/spot. A water blade though I too would never consider for any car I owned. I try to touch it as little as possible and spend as little time on it as I can.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Only NooBs that dont understand how easily paint scratches uses a water blade.

I would never touch my car with a water blade.... even for $1000

Trust me I'm not a noob and certainly understand how to detail. If the surface of paint is smooth as glass from regular maintenance your not going to scratch it with a water blade. There isn't going to be magic debris that's going to swirl your car up, the material that blade is made up is very soft. And no matter how you dry its going to introduce light swirls. Only way to get around it is blow drying which most people don't do.

JRad405

Reaction score
Most people said it but I use a waffle weave from CG, one of those big ones too. Works like a charm. Better than the chamois that used to use. I feel like the chamois would really take away from the wax I used. Maybe that's just me though. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online