Time for a new clutch, any suggestions?

pmot

Reaction score
My clutch is starting to go so I guess I will have to upgrade clutch flywheel and a short throw all at the same time. I am looking forward to this upgrade because I currently have stock clutch, flywheel and shifter but I really miss the short throw in my old cobra. This one feels sluggish and extremely unresponsive with the heavy clutch and flywheel, the mushy shifter and I absolutely hate how a stock clutch feels. So what I want is quick revving light weight clutch and flywheel, a clutch that I don't have to push a mile in to get it to fully disengage and a good short throw shifter. I hear some good things about the 03 cobra flywheel with a steel ring pressed on but I want your opinion.
Thanks for any suggestions and input you can give.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
What year car do you have? GT or Cobra?? Also if you have a GT you can't just go adding a 8 bolt flywheel to a 6 bolt crank.

King Cobra or the LMR knock off SVE mongoose will hold up to around 300rwhp some people have even run them in higher horsepower cars.

Take it from me don't buy a Alum flywheel unless you want to be smelling clutch all the time. If i were to use my CF DF clutch again i can only imagine how much beating my trans would be taking.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no matter what clutch you get.... get these goodies... It makes ALL the difference.

ClutchGoodiesSmall.jpg

NXcoupe

Reaction score
I would go with a pro 5.0 or steeda for the shifter, with a spec stage 2 for the clutch with an aluminum flywheel for it, they come with the steel inserts as well. Also as Handz mentioned, get a good firewall adjuster and quadrant for your car as well, the factory stuff is probably messing with your adjustment too if it hasn't already been swapped out. Also get a steeda adjustable cable to complete it.

theory29zane

Reaction score
clutch options are all in what you want to do with the car spec and centerforce make greta clutches in differnt stages for your needs. also love my steeda tri ax shifter would recommend it to anyone.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
do the firewall adjuster and quadrant really make that much difference? what do they change?

The firewall adjuster just allows more adjustment of the clutch cable. I have a Steeda Quadrant and firewall adjuster and i love it.

NXcoupe said:
I would go with a pro 5.0 or steeda for the shifter, with a spec stage 2 for the clutch with an aluminum flywheel for it, they come with the steel inserts as well. Also as Handz mentioned, get a good firewall adjuster and quadrant for your car as well, the factory stuff is probably messing with your adjustment too if it hasn't already been swapped out. Also get a steeda adjustable cable to complete it.

I don't think an aluminum Flywheel is a good idea for a DD. The reason i say this is b/c i have one.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
do the firewall adjuster and quadrant really make that much difference? what do they change?

BEST mod I ever did with the Adjuster,Quadrant, and LCD Freeplay Mod.

It always the clutch to be adjusted perfectly.... and the Freeplay Mod makes the whole thing feel OEM.

Just go with the Fiore stuff... Its hands down the best. Micro-click adjuster FTMFW.

wytstang

Reaction score
I have the Fiore quadrant w/MM fwa and it works better then oem stuff. It took me a bit to get the MM adjuster dialed in but now I am happy with it. Although I will probably swap it out for the Fiore fwa when I start working again, I think it's a better design.

OP
OP
P

pmot

Reaction score
I don't think an aluminum Flywheel is a good idea for a DD. The reason i say this is b/c i have one.
[/quote]

What don't you like about it?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
pmot said:

What don't you like about it?
[/quote]

i find that i have to feather out the clutch more to get moving and not cause a clunking or " gear dropping " as people would say when your learning to use a stick. That 13 pds less of rotational mass does make a difference. I enjoy the Alum Flywheel and Alum Driveshaft on the highway it is very smooth.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
theory29zane said:
clutch options are all in what you want to do with the car centerforce makes great clutches in different stages for your needs. also love my steeda tri ax shifter would recommend it to anyone.
I highly recommend the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with their matching flywheel.
I've had mine now for 13K miles and I have never had one problem with it.
Definitley look into getting a aftermarket quadrant,firewall adjuster,and OEM Ford clutch cable.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yep, only reason I said aluminum is because you were going on about how you wanted it lightweight. The fiore stuff is no better than UPR's stuff, they have the same clicking firewall adjuster, it's just who you buy it from and how much you wanna pay. My 9 sec race car has UPR stuff on it with their quick release quadrant, if fiore was any better, it would be in there instead. It's not, I had fiore in my other race car, and it worked equally as well, but UPR was less money so went with them. jmho.
As for why a quadrant and adjuster? Well the main reason is the factory stuff is two plastic pieces just above your gas pedal. They are like a ratchet mechanism with two springs on them. The way you adjust it is by lifting up on the clutch pedal until it snaps, then it has adjusted itself. Now, when you are smacking the clutch pedal stabbing for the next gear, the clutch pedal snaps back up and guess what happens? The clutch may adjust or become off a tooth, then you stomp down on the pedal, the teeth may or may not lock and the clutch cable may or may not be pulled to release the clutch. So it leaves a lot to chance and they could strip out the teeth and leave you sitting by the road dumbfounded. These are the best reasons I can give you, coupled with you being the adjuster instead of a dumb spring and ratchet that doesn't know any better.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
OnyxCobra said:

BEST mod I ever did with the Adjuster,Quadrant, and LCD Freeplay Mod.

It always the clutch to be adjusted perfectly.... and the Freeplay Mod makes the whole thing feel OEM.

Just go with the Fiore stuff... Its hands down the best. Micro-click adjuster FTMFW.
I agree with Mr. Handz the Fiore qaudrant and firewall adjuster is top notch parts and
it would be my first choice even though Fiore and UPR both have the Micro-click technology.Also I would only use the stock OEM Ford clutch cable since they are stronger than aftermarket clutch cables.The aftermarket clutch cables are well known for snapping and stretching on us Mustang enthusiasts.

wytstang

Reaction score
NXcoupe said:
Yep, only reason I said aluminum is because you were going on about how you wanted it lightweight. The fiore stuff is no better than UPR's stuff, they have the same clicking firewall adjuster, it's just who you buy it from and how much you wanna pay. My 9 sec race car has UPR stuff on it with their quick release quadrant, if fiore was any better, it would be in there instead. It's not, I had fiore in my other race car, and it worked equally as well, but UPR was less money so went with them. jmho.
As for why a quadrant and adjuster? Well the main reason is the factory stuff is two plastic pieces just above your gas pedal. They are like a ratchet mechanism with two springs on them. The way you adjust it is by lifting up on the clutch pedal until it snaps, then it has adjusted itself. Now, when you are smacking the clutch pedal stabbing for the next gear, the clutch pedal snaps back up and guess what happens? The clutch may adjust or become off a tooth, then you stomp down on the pedal, the teeth may or may not lock and the clutch cable may or may not be pulled to release the clutch. So it leaves a lot to chance and they could strip out the teeth and leave you sitting by the road dumbfounded. These are the best reasons I can give you, coupled with you being the adjuster instead of a dumb spring and ratchet that doesn't know any better.
Of course UPR's is just as good, they in typical fashion copied some one else design and call it there own. I don't reward thieves but that's jmho.

ARdoller

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
when you put your foot on the clutch, is there any give before you actually put pressure on the pedal? A metal quadrant (as opposed to the stock plastic one which will warp especially when used with a heavier clutch) will eliminate the "slack" you feel in the pedal.

The firewall adjuster allows you to adjust at what height the pedal catches at. I have mine setup so it catches up high, so when it catches, the force of the clutch engaging almost sucks the pedal in taking most of the weight off the pedal.

If you put your foot on the pedal and tap your foot like you're keeping a beat, and the pedal bounces, then you'd definitely want to look into this upgrade. A double-hook quadrant and a firewall adjuster will be all you need. A lot of people have problems with adjustable cables breaking, and a triple-hook quadrant will work just the same as a double.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online