Time for new u-joints

joemomma

Reaction score
I think I'm due for new u-joints - getting a clunk when taking off most of the time. Are there two u-joints on our cars (one on each end of the driveshaft)? How difficult is the replacement?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Yes, one at the trans, one at the diff. If you have the stock steel driveshaft, it’s not hard to swap them. You just have to rent a ball joint press (heavy duty c-clamp style tool) and press them out. If the driveshaft is aluminum, I highly recommend taking it to a driveline shop and getting them done. It’s really easy to bend the ears on an aluminum shaft.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Make sure it's not an engine mount, or control arm bushing or something. Get under the car and check the u joints. You'll know if something is bad. You definitely don't want to lose a u joint going down the highway.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks lads, will investigate and report findings.

PinkieT

Reaction score
If you get real lucky like I did, you will have a crack in your differential. :eek:

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Hope not...I've got a laundry list of things that need to be done to the car, and repairing/replacing the diff isn't one of them.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Hope not...I've got a laundry list of things that need to be done to the car, and repairing/replacing the diff isn't one of them.
Mine exploded all over the Cobra behind me on the way to a car show :(. My buddy was not amused.
Definitely was not expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online