tranny shake-need opinions

theponyfactor

Reaction score
I have figured out that the shake which I originally thought was a U-joint is the torque converter. I guess that it can be fixed by changing the transmission fluid to the newer mercon v fluid. that shit is expensive...would cost me $100 in fluid! so i found this product made by lubegard, which is an additive to the mercon fluid that my transmission calls for, which makes the mercon fluid a mercon v type atf.

so, I really dont know if the previous owner of the car changed the atf fluid and i dont think they did. so should i change it and add the lubegard? or should i take it in and get it flushed?

O and i was doing some searching and i came accross a post about the same exact problem and this guy said..."So to fix your problem do this. If you haven't had your tranny serviced then I would completely drain it and put a new filter and all in. If it's been more than 50,000 miles since it's been serviced then don't change your fluid. This will cause your tranny to go out prematurely."

2nd post-
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...blem-aode.html

i obviously dont want that to happen, and i just passed 50,000.

so either way what im sayin is, i need this mercon v fluid, whether it be the fluid or with the additive, how should i go about doing it?

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
well what about what that guy said about not doing it if its over 50k?? should i be worried about that?

very good post btw, I'll be using that if i do this.

thanks.

95-stang

Reaction score
Well mine was on 51k, and the converter shudder was like going over a cattle grid, shifts are now better too.
You can also fit new solenoids, but mine has been fine with just new fluid and filter.

S

scarface

let me know what works for you please...My Windstar has the same problem, and its irritating.

9psi 98

Reaction score
You have to get that thing pumped out. Draining the pan only gets rid of some of the fluid that is in there, your torque converter and valve body remains full. My friends shop used to charge $100 to flush your system, but he'd pump in new fluid until it ran completely red out of the other end. If you want to change your tranny fluid, this is the only way. Follow it up with a new filter and you should be good to go. If you're getting that muck vibration, then it's definitely time for a flush.

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
takin it to ford on tuesday for new tranny fluid, i didnt want to do it and its only $70. the mercon V fluid alone was about $100. ill be sure to let ya know scarface if it changes it.

S

scarface

theponyfactor said:
takin it to ford on tuesday for new tranny fluid, i didnt want to do it and its only $70. the mercon V fluid alone was about $100. ill be sure to let ya know scarface if it changes it.
please do, I was quoted 200 bux :(

OP
OP
T

theponyfactor

Reaction score
just got home from picking it up and i couldnt get it to shake :dancing6:

besides the fact that the guy at ford didnt know A THING everything seems good. and scarface i dont know how many miles are on your windstar but even ford said something about flushing can cause the tranny to fail...but if you do it, they should put in mercon V flud.

S

scarface

theponyfactor said:
just got home from picking it up and i couldnt get it to shake :dancing6:

besides the fact that the guy at ford didnt know A THING everything seems good. and scarface i dont know how many miles are on your windstar but even ford said something about flushing can cause the tranny to fail...but if you do it, they should put in mercon V flud.
just a hair over 100k... failure is possible with any tranny fluid change, I think it is a disclaimer..lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.