Transmission trouble

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I was driving down the road today and all of the sudden I hear a funny noise from what sounds like the transmission. I pull over look around and dont see anything so I continue driving. About 1000 feet down the road I downshift into 2nd to slow down for the red light. Then I push the clutch in so I can brake. About two seconds after having the clutch in my car violently skids to a stop. It was almost like it went back into gear but I had the clutch in and it didnt stall.. Then when I tried to start off again in first it wouldnt start right. I turned it off and back on. Then I drove it home very gently and all the gears worked but it was making a funny knocking noise from the transmission. I had my mom in the car so I wasn't doing anything stupid just driving normally. Any thoughts? I am taking it down to a transmission shop where my dad knows the mechanics tomorrow morning as soon as they open. I just hope its not going to be too expensive of a problem.

edit: My dad, my brother and me both think it sounds like the throwout bearing..but we arent experts.

97vertstang

Reaction score
does the sound go away when u push on the clutch???if it does most likely throwout bearing.if the car is stock or mildly modified throw in a spec stage 1 or king cobra clutch and be done with it.

OP
OP
B

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Update: took it down to the shop this morning. Mechanic drove it and it didnt act up at all. He changed the fluid and serviced it. I drove it around for about 2 hours as well. It made a noise once. Then when I pulled into my driveway at home I heard the kinda racket going on from the tranny and it did go away when i pushed the clutch in. So it is most likely the throwout bearing but it is driving fine..so idk.

OP
OP
B

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The car runs fine...all the gears are there but its still making that noise. I figure I might as well replace the clutch because I am goin back to school in less than a month and I dont really want any problems while im out there. I know 97vert said king cobra or spec stage 1, the king cobra looks pretty affordable to me but I see a lot of people also like the centerforce dual friction clutches. I dont really know too much about the differences someone wanna help me out :help2: . The car is basically stock..but I am hoping to do cams/intake sometime...whenever the money shows up.

edit: how hard is it do replace the clutch? How much in labor would I be looking at if I werent able to do it myself

97vertstang

Reaction score
if u can afford it theres tons of better clutches out there that are better.the ones i mentioned are the cheaper alternatives and perform pretty good.the king cobra is like $165 i believe from summit and the spec is $200 from mustang tuning.all the other clutches are in the $300+ area.labor in the clucth depends on who u know.my friend paid $350 on his 94 cobra. me and my other friend installed a spec stage 1 on my friends 73 f100 that has a 92 5.0 drivetrain and it was pretty easy.so i wouldnt know how hard it would be to install it on a modular.i would guess pretty much the same except bellhousing bolts being different.so its up to u.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online