Unknown electrical issue,speedo,clock and radio not working.

Reaction score
Today as I was driving smoke started to seep from the center console area along with a burning smell.I immediatly shut the car off and it stopped smoking.Couple minutes later the car starts no problem,runs fine,no smoke but the speedo,trip meter,clock and radio do not work.Everything else is fine.

Any suggestions,seems smoke was coming from center console,maybe from near top of transmission?

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
It's a 97.I did some searching...people with same problem said fuse 6 and 8 under dash were blown.I'm thinking I have a short underneath the console from previous owner wiring up a toggle switch for the cobra fogs.
That doesn't explain the mechanical odometer though?Ill check it out after work tomorrow.

lutter94

Reaction score
Well the speedo/odometer both need the VSS signal from the transmission, that harness comes from the pass side firewall, a big 23 pin connector. You have an auto or manual? Either or, the VSS sensor is on the left side of the trans towards the back half, 2 pin connector, rectangular, square on one side, rounded on the other....Does it have a speedcal perhaps? Maybe someone wired it in previously?

lutter94

Reaction score
Is "Ign Switch 3 - 40A" blown?

1994-1998-Mustang-fuse-box-diagram-underhood.jpg

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
That fuse was okay Lutter94.I pulled the inside part of the armrest compartment out and found a stock 8 pin plug with melted and exposed wires.Sure enough it was spliced into for the fog switch.

Any idea what the eight pin plug is?It is a factory piece and directly underneath the armrest compartment near the e-brake.Thanks for the help guys :D

RichV

Reaction score
I would start at that toggle switch you mentioned.

^This.

And check all fuses and links. Follow the smell, but get to it asap. Never know what else can be affected.

OP
OP
tchmotorsports
Reaction score
Heres the damaged harness.The eight pin plug just led to the cigarette lighter.I just pulled it out and replaced two blown 30 amp fuses and everything works now.
by9uza4y.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
Glad you got it.

dont run full load of the fogs thru a switch. Definite no-no.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online