Unknown Wiring and Sensor - Help Needed

badz11

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this sensor is and where is supposed to go?
Currently, it is loose and sitting by the battery.

Also by the battery, I have these three cut wires that go no where. They come out of the factory loom and had a non-OEM crimp on them to protect them. However I cannot determine what is supposed to be wired to it.

All help is appreciated.
8698EBCC-9FDB-4C3C-BF04-DA57446B3D4F.jpeg5182AEE1-113D-4611-8CD6-ADA0D9B348FF.jpeg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The sensor is for the coolant reservoir level. If someone went to an aftermarket bling tank, there is no provision for the sensor. It can be left this way and nothing bad will happen (no cluster warning light) but then you'll never know if you're low on coolant while driving.

As for the three wires, can't be sure. I might be able to dig up an old wiring harness from the basement to check but that won't be until later. Is there an anti-lock brake test port on the front side of the fuse box in your car? It's a red rectangle port cover.

OP
OP
badz11

badz11

Reaction score
The sensor is for the coolant reservoir level. If someone went to an aftermarket bling tank, there is no provision for the sensor. It can be left this way and nothing bad will happen (no cluster warning light) but then you'll never know if you're low on coolant while driving.

As for the three wires, can't be sure. I might be able to dig up an old wiring harness from the basement to check but that won't be until later. Is there an anti-lock brake test port on the front side of the fuse box in your car? It's a red rectangle port cover.
Thank you! The response is much appreciated.
The coolant tank appears to be OE. I’ll look around and figure out how to plug it in.
There does not appear to be an ABS test port—image provided for reference:IMG_6576.jpeg.

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
No problemo.

It might be that someone replaced the original coolant tank with one that doesn't have the provision for the sensor, or somehow they plugged it up. But I'd be wary of that because those tanks have to stand up to 16psi. There are later versions of the same balloon plastic coolant tanks that don't have a sensor port - it's on the bottom driver side of it. That's probably the case as eventually the plastic gives out. If you're looking to retain the sensor function, the restoration websites have the original style tanks.

As for the three wires, that might be where they go to: the ABS test port. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow to check out the wire colors and know for sure.

OP
OP
badz11

badz11

Reaction score
No problemo.

It might be that someone replaced the original coolant tank with one that doesn't have the provision for the sensor, or somehow they plugged it up. But I'd be wary of that because those tanks have to stand up to 16psi. There are later versions of the same balloon plastic coolant tanks that don't have a sensor port - it's on the bottom driver side of it. That's probably the case as eventually the plastic gives out. If you're looking to retain the sensor function, the restoration websites have the original style tanks.

As for the three wires, that might be where they go to: the ABS test port. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow to check out the wire colors and know for sure.
Thank you for your continued assistance.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yea, those three bare wires you have are definitely for the antilock test port (see attached).

Attachments

• 20231205_112808.jpg
    20231205_112808.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231205_112736.jpg
    20231205_112736.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
badz11

badz11

Reaction score
@cobrajeff96
Thank you for all the time spent in answering my question—your assistance is much appreciated. I now have peace of mind and will be adding the purchase of this ABS test port to the project list. I hope it will be an easy find. BTW…nice fuse box cover.

OP
OP
badz11

badz11

Reaction score
@ttocs
I am also baffled why anyone would remove this.
Is it possible the plastic of the test port unit gets brittle and starts falling apart?
Or that it can be easily damaged when replacing the battery?
I spent some time going over listings on AutoTempest and found (based on under hood pictures) that many 96-98s are missing this ABS test port module.

While common that the module is missing from several examples, its proving difficult to find a replacement online.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I think your only way to get one is to buy a complete harness from a junked car, like from MPS Auto Salvage or something like that. Some prior owner either deliberately dismantled your port or the port was accidentally sheared off from someone who doesn't belong inside the engine bay of a car.

All actuality though, it's unlikely it's ever going to be used. I seriously doubt any Ford mechanic will be using that port (does the tool even exist in their inventory anymore?). I would think there's nothing they can do from that port that they can't do from the OBD-II port inside the car. If I were you, I'd just individually heat shrink each exposed wire to seal them off, and then hank tape all three wires back onto the outer harness covering and be done with it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you can cycle the abs pump from that spot but not sure. I would just insulate the wires and leave it alone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.