used cams with grooves between the lobes

samsonhusky

Reaction score
I picked up a set of pi cams. I see that they have grooves worn in them between the lobes. lobes look fine is this something to be concerned about ?

OP
OP
samsonhusky

samsonhusky

Reaction score
ABB5C715-7EFB-4A33-B0DB-DAB76D753F44.jpeg

Attachments

• 6AA1E51F-B42E-4D03-8D20-6765C1E93287.jpeg
    6AA1E51F-B42E-4D03-8D20-6765C1E93287.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 9

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Am I seeing a step down in that first pic? Like it was machined.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Those grooves are fine and very typical.

You should see a stock cam journal when higher pound springs were used.

Back in the day when aftermarket 8620 modular cams were a commodity and stock regrinds were the only choice, enthusiasts would use higher pound springs for supercharged application and it would cause some serious grooves! Like cortiroy pant ripples!! But thats how things were and it ran fine for thousand of miles.

Anyhow, if those grooves scare you and you want to sell them, let me know.

AStangThang

Reaction score
I sent Garza some PI cams, and they should be there today. If your worried, PM Garza, and ask him to take pics of his PI's so he can show you to ease your mind. Nothing to worry about really, just properly lube the cam journals when assembling. Also, torque the cam girdle evenly. As long as there not gouged deep your fine.

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Those grooves are fine and very typical.

You should see a stock cam journal when higher pound springs were used.

Back in the day when aftermarket 8620 modular cams were a commodity and stock regrinds were the only choice, enthusiasts would use higher pound springs for supercharged application and it would cause some serious grooves! Like cortiroy pant ripples!! But thats how things were and it ran fine for thousand of miles.

Anyhow, if those grooves scare you and you want to sell them, let me know.

Ya I am an idiot. I have the same grooves on the pair I have at work lolol. Run em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ya I am an idiot. I have the same grooves on the pair I have at work lolol. Run em!

Hey now,...my post wasnt to call anyone out. Nor do i think anyone is an idiot.

Im not counter punching your info. Im just stating what i know and seen. I totally think your response was positive information and please by no means was i trying to imply or criticize it.

Rolltide1006

Reaction score
Hey now,...my post wasnt to call anyone out. Nor do i think anyone is an idiot.

Im not counter punching your info. Im just stating what i know and seen. I totally think your response was positive information and please by no means was i trying to imply or criticize it.

Ya I know, you are good. I didn’t take it that way at all. I saw his post and pics last night, made my comment. Then this morning I compared them to my used set of PI cams and they look the same. [emoji16]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online