Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
So I went to look at it.

All I could say is WOW.
Window sticker, maintenance records, with 18 folders(one for each year), Service manual, factory radio....
I asked him why? He said he just wanted the 5.0 to build to drag race, and now I know where a "local" strip is...

We drove it around, he talked about it, and his plans for a 408 build if he could find a 5.0, but it had to be an sn95, said nothing looked better.

He's offering an additional $500 if I say yes.

My only real reservation to owning the 96, is it is a 96, and don't those overheat?

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
He's some older guy late 40s or so.

Keeps going on and on about back when he was younger and the 5.0.

We drove the car for 100 miles round trip, only issue I can think of is it always ran on M even on the highway. And I wonder if that is just a 96 thing.
Other than that, it drove better than my 94 does....

Caboose302

Reaction score
Owning a 96 and a 95 at the current moment I can say that the 5.0 makes power easier and cheaper than the modulars. My 95 makes 260 rwhp with about 2 grand worth of work (heads cam, intake, full exhaust). My 96 makes 300 rwhp with over 5 grand in the engine($3200 heads, $2000 shortblock, full exhaust)with stock cams. It took me a little while to get used to the higher torque range in the 96 but because of that it gets better gas mileage. My 95 gets about 19 mpg on the highway with stock gears. My 96 gets about 25mpg even with 4.10 gears.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, my 97 was really good on gas.
Until I dropped the 5.4 in, it dropped to 23 on the highway.

I am tempted to take is as my goals are extremely mild.
I know modulars a little better.

But what concerns me.
Google 96 mustang GT cooling issue
or 96 cobra cooling issue.

Seems that if it is a 4.6 and a 96, you will run hot.
Now if there was a quick fix, and less than $1000
I'd probably jump on it.
It is a world apart in comparison to the 94. Interior is immaculate, exterior has a beautiful pearl-looking silver, and it's documented.
Besides either car has a $4000 restoration/repair budget.

And in march there is another $4000 modification budget.
All in all I'm doing a 11k build(including price of car), that should be nothing but maintenance after.

But the fact that we were running the heat, and it was less than 40, not to mention going 65-70, and it read a constant M, has me concerned.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Yeah, my 97 was really good on gas.
Until I dropped the 5.4 in, it dropped to 23 on the highway.

I am tempted to take is as my goals are extremely mild.
I know modulars a little better.

But what concerns me.
Google 96 mustang GT cooling issue
or 96 cobra cooling issue.

Seems that if it is a 4.6 and a 96, you will run hot.
Now if there was a quick fix, and less than $1000
I'd probably jump on it.
It is a world apart in comparison to the 94. Interior is immaculate, exterior has a beautiful pearl-looking silver, and it's documented.
Besides either car has a $4000 restoration/repair budget.

And in march there is another $4000 modification budget.
All in all I'm doing a 11k build(including price of car), that should be nothing but maintenance after.

But the fact that we were running the heat, and it was less than 40, not to mention going 65-70, and it read a constant M, has me concerned.
I've never had an issue with cooling, but I don't know what mine reads on the stock gauge since it's been disconnected. I usually run about 200-210 in the summer. But it does have a ported PI swap, and when I first joined someone said I would have issues with it until i told them i had different heads, so maybe that's it. Throw a PI swap on it in March and call it a day or throw on some Trick Flow Heads and you still have some money for cams and exhaust.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been reading all over since I test drove it.
That is honestly probably the only thing holding me back.

Some claim the true issue is the A/C condenser. Most threads are on actual overheating, you know leaking manifolds, gushing coolant.
It just runs warm. And while that may not be an issue to some, it is to me.
But there is so much conflicting opinions on the issue, I still haven't found a good fix.
Some say get a bigger radiator, and that's all you need.
Some say 180 stat
Some say a combo of both.
Some say tune for lower fan kick in.

Money isn't really the issue, it's buying things that aren't needed that is getting to me.
But I haven't read anything on a 96 with a PI swap and the heating issue.
Can't say I want to turn him down since he is offering some cash on top of it.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Never had a heating issue in my 96 even in Arizona summers

The D3V
That is another factor.
If it hovers that high in an Oregon winter...what will it do in an AZ summer?
I am planning on moving there in 3 years. I still want to use my GI bill and go to college.
I was thinking if I got it, I would do a 50 dollar A/C delete, that would free up the radiator. But when I move it would suck, but summer here was never too hot, windows down and life was fine.

It's hard to delve into the subject too much because I only drove it once, so I can't do troubleshooting.
IE check the high/low fans, ccrm, etc.

But I am hoping I can get a chime from someone who has had the issue and fixed it. If it is fixable I would jump all over it.
It's too cherry to live in a garage only seeing a few months a year.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
.....deleting your ac in Arizona is a mistake.....its not like her where when u go faster it cools down.... imagine opening an oven door or sitting behind a jet plane as it takes off Lol nix that idea now!!!

If you over heat in az you car has issues .... t stat sticking, head gasket, or bad radiator/ poor flow.

Ac delete will only lighten the load on the motor when the ac is turned on. Otherwise it spins free, the account delete if for weight savings....

The D3V

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Its much easier to trouble shoot when their is a specific issue. Like I said my 96 never had a cooling issue and I beat the **** out of it ......never trust a stock gauge but if it worries you slap a new t stat in there and make sure you aren't eating coolant.

The D3V

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
So this is nothing to worry about? Like I mentioned after driving it 100 miles, it didn't smell of coolant, nor was there any bubbling.

Perhaps I am just making a big deal out of nothing.
I was just comparing it to my 97, and even in El Paso heat with a 5.4, it would only get to M sitting dead still in traffic.

If it's fine, I may take him up on it.
Hard to find a single owned car with full documentation.
Even if it is an NPI, that can be fixed easily.

RichV

Reaction score
I wouldn't fret too much over it. I mean how different can a 97 be from a 96, if the 96 has issues and 97 does not. Also, the M in NORMAL is what? We don't know, do you? Put a real gauge on it and find out. The radiator also has almost 20 years of crap in it, assuming it's the original, so that would be replaced 1st regardless of anything else. Or someone put in a higher t'stat, who knows. If it's staying on the mark the cooling system is doing its job. If it's overheating, it is not. Being on the M rather than in the middle could be a little difference in the cluster, a temp sensor with the resistance a little off, tstat a little higher, water pump maybe showing it's age, etc.

Sounds like you're getting the better end of the deal and $500 in mod money!!

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Update, I did another look, drove it one more time, weather is warm (considering season) and nice out, took it on the highway and ripped it.
Drove it back to my place and handed him what he needed.

I will post pictures of the 96.
Yeah, made a big deal over nothing.
It is all stock, he showed me the receipt for the factory replacement stat. Radiator is stock though. He was going off of the service manual for timely replacement of wear and tear items.

The motor may be an initial downgrade, but the piece of mind on it's history more than makes up for that.

I figure I will just upgrade everything, it's old as you mentioned, and well he handed me $500. That's a 3 core radiator, and change to spare.
I will replace the entire cooling system just because of age, and then head to suspension and toy with the interior. I have to wonder if the 248a wiring harness is exactly the same as a normal GT, that would mean foglights would be an easy addition.

Now to decide on what to do with the motor...PI swap, PI engine, or 5.4.

I appreciate you guys getting me to calm down on an issue that didn't exist.
I suppose I just worry too much about little details.
My reader shows it doesn't get past 200 degrees while running on "M" so yeah...silly me.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
puby7a5y.jpg

Not the best picture I've ever taken.
But here she is.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Rush using Tapatalk

Caboose302

Reaction score
Not sure about the wheels but I love the spoiler less look. Lower it with some wheels and that's a bad ass car. Lucky find though and a great starting point!

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
He said he plasti dipped the stockers to help keep them in good shape.
No dents or scuffs, so I would assume they look fine underneath.

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Good choice, from a fellow '96 GT owner! My engine had about 200k when I got it, so I did a total swap for an '01 engine. What the miles on your's?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online