Vibration?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
So after I got my wheels mounted and balanced over a month ago I noticed a bad shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel at 55 mph.. Went to the tire place this morning, they said the rims and tires were fine and road force balanced them. The guy added more weights to my drivers side front wheel, a lot on there now.. Looked up reviews about the goodyear eagle gt all seasons and some have complained about a vibration after getting them. I'm looking to get new tires with graduation $$ but its weird. This morning i got on the highway and there was almost no vibration at all after leaving the tire shop. Went to pick up my sister from work and the vibration was back.. Pretty odd how it came back, any ideas?

TanTop94

Reaction score
How sure are you that it is your tires? Is it coming from any certain corner? You could try to rotate your wheels and see if that helps? Are your wheels directional, maybe they were mounted wrong or put on the car going in the wrong direction.
Just some ideas.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
How sure are you that it is your tires? Is it coming from any certain corner? You could try to rotate your wheels and see if that helps? Are your wheels directional, maybe they were mounted wrong or put on the car going in the wrong direction.
Just some ideas.
Not sure at all. They said the rims and tires were fine, no rims are bent. I figured check online to see if maybe the tires could be the problem but idk lol. The whole top of the steering wheel vibrates. I'm getting new rims from AM since mine are peeling already so idk if I'm definitely getting new tires or not yet. The tires I believe are directional, maybe I'll try and switch the left one to the right side and vice versa. Thanks dude

TanTop94

Reaction score
If they are directional cant you only switch front to back and back to front? I could just be thinking crazy. They are already peeling?? Huh. That sucks man hopefully the new wheels fix it, are you getting them static balanced?

GT Rob

Reaction score
Are your tires dierectional. And if so are they on right. Because I had different rim on my car and it had a vibration and it would wonder when I was driving. So one day I was going to look at my ball joints and I noticed the arrow on the tire. I put them on right and it help. Even thou my ball joints where bad

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If they are directional cant you only switch front to back and back to front? I could just be thinking crazy. They are already peeling?? Huh. That sucks man hopefully the new wheels fix it, are you getting them static balanced?
Not too sure lol, never rotates tires before I'll have my dad gimme a hand tomorrow morning. I had them mounted and balanced the first time, this morning he said he roadforce balanced them and idk if they were RF balanced the 1st time.
Are your tires dierectional. And if so are they on right. Because I had different rim on my car and it had a vibration and it would wonder when I was driving. So one day I was going to look at my ball joints and I noticed the arrow on the tire. I put them on right and it help. Even thou my ball joints where bad
I think they are, they have arrows that go left and right on the sidewall.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
you can have vibration from alot of other things.

Is it steering wheel vibration or just your seat vibrating?

Just the steering wheel. I mean inside the car vibrates from the dumps but its not that, this is strictly on the steering wheel

RichV

Reaction score
Maybe try another shop.

You could just grab your spare and swap it with one you suspect and see if the problem goes away. Steering wheel shake is likely a front wheel. And balance issues will typically go away when you go faster, meaning it will vibrate at 60, but 65+ it goes away.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe try another shop.

You could just grab your spare and swap it with one you suspect and see if the problem goes away. Steering wheel shake is likely a front wheel. And balance issues will typically go away when you go faster, meaning it will vibrate at 60, but 65+ it goes away.
I'll see who I can find. I might try putting the spare on maybe Sunday to see if that fixes it. I'm going to Seaside monday through wednesday so I'm checking everything on the car before I go. It's only at around 52-55mph can't exactly pin point the exact mph but its a little over 50 and just around 55, anything slower or quicker and its gone. My mechanic drove the car and immediately said its a balance. Can you believe the guy from the tire shop said maybe the rotors are on backwards or the wrong sides? I just looked at him... I said nothing to do with lugs being lose or anything, nope, kept asking me about the brakes. Makes me think he wanted to do some work on the car i guess lol.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, sounds weird. Maybe you have the front rotors on the back or something. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online