vortech or procharger

blk95gt

Reaction score
I have been reading through different forum posts about which is the better choice, most threads have said procharger is the way to go. But when i talked to the guy at DaSilva Racing he said vortech was the better choice in terms of reliability and customer support from the company. Right now I'm putting down 300whp/311wtq, he told me that with a vortech S trim at 10 psi that it will be getting around 450 hp to the wheels. Any opinions on which is the brand to go with?

blown98gt

Reaction score
Procharger, defiantly as far as easy of install and every other aspect it's a better blow IMO.
the prochargers are self contained (a few models are not) but there is no need to tap into your oil pan to run an oil line up to your s/c like vortech requires. It took me 1 day to install the procharger d1sc and 8 rib conversion. i'm pretty sure a P1sc (i'll assume you have a stock block) could easily hit your goals of hp. Procharger is a great company to deal with and i've never had any issues out of them. The techs there can suggest the correct pulleys to hit the hp that you'd like. I've installed a vortech s/c on my friends 95 gt and it took longer than my procharger did on mine.
I mean to each his own, i just prefer procharger over the vortech.
A vortech T-trim at 10 psi MIGHT make get you up to where you are wanting but it all depends on you. Honestly i'd go with procharger for easy of install, depending on the model P1sc, D1sc, F1a you can still put down some really insane numbers so really it's up to you but after putting on my procharger and dealing with procharger after i lost my install manual (which they graciously sent overnight to me for free) was a breeze and i'd recommend their product and services to anyone.

slopony

Reaction score
blown98gt said:
Procharger, defiantly as far as easy of install and every other aspect it's a better blow IMO.
the prochargers are self contained (a few models are not) but there is no need to tap into your oil pan to run an oil line up to your s/c like vortech requires. It took me 1 day to install the procharger d1sc and 8 rib conversion. i'm pretty sure a P1sc (i'll assume you have a stock block) could easily hit your goals of hp. Procharger is a great company to deal with and i've never had any issues out of them. The techs there can suggest the correct pulleys to hit the hp that you'd like. I've installed a vortech s/c on my friends 95 gt and it took longer than my procharger did on mine.
I mean to each his own, i just prefer procharger over the vortech.
A vortech T-trim at 10 psi MIGHT make get you up to where you are wanting but it all depends on you. Honestly i'd go with procharger for easy of install, depending on the model P1sc, D1sc, F1a you can still put down some really insane numbers so really it's up to you but after putting on my procharger and dealing with procharger after i lost my install manual (which they graciously sent overnight to me for free) was a breeze and i'd recommend their product and services to anyone.

+1 the procharger will give you better numbers especially since most kit are innercooled. they will handle more boost and no tapping the oil pan for oil. the procharger is a little more money but well worth it. just my .02

blown98gt

Reaction score
you can pick up a used kit still in great shape for about 2k 2,500 depends on p1sc, a d1sc will run you about 3k but you can't get an intercooled vortech kit for that

ProKiller

Reaction score
for starters, not all vortechs need to tap the oil pan. the new V-3s are self contained like prochargers

judging by your name, i'm assuming you have a 95GT so its a 5.0. The vortechs will not allow you to fit in an intercooler which can be a disadvantage compared to the prochargers. there are a plethora of success stories with the vortech, they are proven performers. You can get a used kit for a lot cheaper than most used procharger kits. they are both good companies and both will make great power. i can't speak for the procharger but the vortech isn't hard to install. and everybody worries so much about tapping into the oil pan, but come on its not hard.

and remember guys, boost is a measure of restriction, the pulley has nothing to do with it.

blown98gt

Reaction score
I am aware that the new vortech kits are self contained but they are like 5k for the intercooled kit... most peopled retrofit the procharger intercooler into the vortech kits, but all the Sq kits and S trim T trim are not self contained and I figured he was working on a budget since most people are... I know the vortech is not hard to install, I just like prochargers (i've not had both) but i have installed both and so it was just my opinion :)

how many psi are you running on your SQ?

ProKiller

Reaction score
i was seeing about 10#s with the stock 3.33 pulley. since switching to the 2.95 pulley i've seen like 13# but haven't really driven it much since the swap to really quantify that.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Ive been running an SQ trim, 3.12 pulley, MPH power pipe, vortech mini race, and paxton front mount intercooler setup for some time now. Absolute blast to drive. My cousin has a bullit with a p1sc and they are nice as well. But, coming from someone who personally owns a vortech, i have absolutely zero complaints. If I had to do it again, I would go the exact same route, but possibly with the T trim.

BALZY_GT

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, as far as being torn between vortech and procharger. After talking to a couple local tuners, I decided that vortech is the way to go. Easy to install, great tech support, & tried and true performance gains. The cons about procharger on the 94-95 cars is that unless you put a different front bumper on the car, the intercooler is in a really bad spot. Not much air passes through the little opening in the stock bumper cover. The tuners that I talked to say that the procharger cars are always more of a pain to tune due to the blow through MAF sensor needed. Plus the fact that you should really put a three core intercooler on from the get go, brings the kit price about $1,500-$2,000 more than vortech. In my opinion, unless your over 12 psi of boost, you really have no need for an intercooler anyway.

blown98gt

Reaction score
every tuner i've talked to has said that tunning blow thru is a lot easier and a lot easier to dial in. I've heard that draw thur setups are harder to dial the MAF on, plus you'll never get a blow off valve on a draw thru.. all draw thru setups have to be revented where as a blow thru doesn't you can vent it into the air. I've not see any issues in installing the intercoolers into a sn95 car, it was really easy actually. But seems like it's still more work to install a vortech plus you need a intercooler for anything over 10lbs of boost so procharger has just included the part for people who want more after a little taste of boost lol.

all in all cons of vortech are; tapping into the oil pan (you have to drain your oil then drill and tap and then refill your oil) no intercooler, so boost is limited (plus your engine is running hotter because regardless of air flow any to cool the air is better than none) and for a intercooled kit from Vortech you are going to pay the same as a procharger kit.

Cons of procharger are; ? none that i've come to find, the customer service and tech service are great, the base P1sc kit put up against the base vortech kit made more power on a stock block...

I think time wise you'll spend less on a procharger install, you get an intercooled setup, and the option to vent your bypass valve into a blow off valve. It might cost a little less for a Vortech unit but to there is no real room for expansion, I mean anything over 10 lbs and you really need an intercooler and the vortech bypass valve will never even close close to the Procharger race bypass, you need 2 votech bypass valves for 18 lbs of boost :O lol

all in all, to each his own, but i've installed both kits, and i've drove a car with the vortech and a s/c is a s/c but i just like the procharger a lot better and the sound of the kit is a lot better.. just me but if you plan on making any power at all, eventually you'll see the Vortech and get a s/c with intercooler

NERD

Reaction score
ProCharger S/C are good but the mounting brackets and hardware are crap. Forget about customer service, as well. The ProC costs more, more prone to turbulent maf signals because of the blow through.

Vortechs are under rated, cheaper, great quality complete kits. I don't have anything negative to say about Vortech except I wish I would have just started with the YSI, lol.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
yeah thats my feelings, i wish i would have started with a T trim haha

ProKiller

Reaction score
blown98gt said:
But seems like it's still more work to install a vortech plus you need a intercooler for anything over 10lbs of boost so procharger has just included the part for people who want more after a little taste of boost lol.

where are you getting this from? any solid numbers to back this statement up? I know tons of people who are running over 10#s without an intercooler for years.

NERD

Reaction score
ProKiller said:
blown98gt said:
But seems like it's still more work to install a vortech plus you need a intercooler for anything over 10lbs of boost so procharger has just included the part for people who want more after a little taste of boost lol.

where are you getting this from? any solid numbers to back this statement up? I know tons of people who are running over 10#s without an intercooler for years.

After 10# you need to cool the charge. You don't have to but it's smart if you do. For some reason I doubt highly that you know many people at all that run more than 10# AND make good numbers without an I/C.

blown98gt

Reaction score
http://www.procharger.com/h2hdt.html

P600b vs the Strim both require plumbing the oil... 14.3 boost on the S-trim made 439 and 14.5 boost on the P600b made 502... and they were also able to pull more timing on the intercooled kit vs the non-intercooled kit

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
As you can see, whoever has a vortech will recommend that and whoever a procharger that. Can't go wrong either way. There's your answer.

NERD

Reaction score
blown98gt said:
http://www.procharger.com/h2hdt.html

P600b vs the Strim both require plumbing the oil... 14.3 boost on the S-trim made 439 and 14.5 boost on the P600b made 502... and they were also able to pull more timing on the intercooled kit vs the non-intercooled kit

I made 440rw w/ 10lbs with an ebay FMIC and everything from tune to to the 60# injectors was as much as a Procharger setup would cost. S-trim or P it doesn't matter, i guess as long as you get one of them on there, lol.

blown98gt

Reaction score
i've heard the Ebay FMIC are crap lol read a few articles on MD and other places where they've caused more issues than help... but it's like blown said, obviously Vortech users are going to suggest it, and procharger users are going to suggest procharger..

in the end, both are going to make good numbers...

NERD

Reaction score
blown98gt said:
i've heard the Ebay FMIC are crap lol read a few articles on MD and other places where they've caused more issues than help... but it's like blown said, obviously Vortech users are going to suggest it, and procharger users are going to suggest procharger..

in the end, both are going to make good numbers...

Well I'm close to 600rw and have never had any problems. I only loose 1.5lbs of boost and my intake temp is 7* warmer than ambient while at the track and on the dyno. (31"x12"x4") I know 5 other mustang with ebay i/c and dont have a lick of troubles. I'm sure it's just people talking down about product because they're so much cheaper. I don't know that there has been cheap crap sold over the net before but not out of any of the I/C's myself or any of my friends have bought.

blown98gt

Reaction score
what about all the cheap turbo knock offs lol...

that is not too bad i couldn't say what i lost on boost with my procharger kit since it's always been intercooled, but with that and my snow kit i know that my temp dropped a hella lot... i need to get ahold of my tuner and find out exactly how much it dropped.. it was enough for them to pull a lot more timing... i have 2 tunes though, straight boost and then a meth tune

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willd492

Members online