vortech or procharger

NERD

Reaction score
SVTHAHA said:
blown98gt said:
every tuner i've talked to has said that tunning blow thru is a lot easier and a lot easier to dial in. I've heard that draw thur setups are harder to dial the MAF on, plus you'll never get a blow off valve on a draw thru.. all draw thru setups have to be revented where as a blow thru doesn't you can vent it into the air. I've not see any issues in installing the intercoolers into a sn95 car, it was really easy actually. But seems like it's still more work to install a vortech plus you need a intercooler for anything over 10lbs of boost so procharger has just included the part for people who want more after a little taste of boost lol.

I really don't see how you figure the Vortech is more work to install then a Procharger. It took me maybe 4 hours tops to install the entire Vortech kit. There are quite a few more steps to installing the Procharger kit, considering there is more to it. You are not required to have an intercooler to run over 10lbs either. Its funny how people think there is a certain set rule that a intercooler becomes necessary to continue. An intercooler can be beneficial at ANY boost level. Certain head units are more efficient than others and don't need intercooling to make similar power numbers. On just 8psi the Vortech in my car made 456rwhp.

all in all cons of vortech are; tapping into the oil pan (you have to drain your oil then drill and tap and then refill your oil) no intercooler, so boost is limited (plus your engine is running hotter because regardless of air flow any to cool the air is better than none) and for a intercooled kit from Vortech you are going to pay the same as a procharger kit.
First of all, I really hope you didn?t DRILL anything when tapping the oil pan for the return line. Tapping the oil pan with a center punch and tap is cake, took like 20 minutes. Having a non self-contained unit is not a disadvantage either. The unit itself tends to run much cooler due to using cycled engine oil versus a small amount of the same continuous internal oil. Your oil changes are much simpler as well. The blower oil gets changed the same time the engine oil gets changed, no need to remove the head unit to service it. There are no downsides to a non self-contained unit, just people who seem to fear the simple install.
Not having an intercooler is not a downside either. The fact of the matter is the competitors need intercoolers for their systems to produce similar numbers to Vortech who does it without them. Vortech?s superchargers are very efficient and can match the competitors without having to raise the costs of their kits. It is not uncommon for a Vortech unit to produce 12-16psi without the need for an intercooler. For those who want real cooling benefits, a simple water/meth kit will compliment a Vortech very well without the need or hassle of an intercooler install.

cons of procharger are; ? none that i've come to find, the customer service and tech service are great, the base P1sc kit put up against the base vortech kit made more power on a stock block...

How about poor air filter placement, issues with internal seals leaking oil, cheap mounting brackets, not so great of a intercooler, much more expensive, only a 1 year warranty versus a 3 year for the Vortech, more bulk in the engine bay, I can go on and on.

I think time wise you'll spend less on a procharger install, you get an intercooled setup, and the option to vent your bypass valve into a blow off valve. It might cost a little less for a Vortech unit but to there is no real room for expansion, I mean anything over 10 lbs and you really need an intercooler and the vortech bypass valve will never even close close to the Procharger race bypass, you need 2 votech bypass valves for 18 lbs of boost :O lol

The install on a Procharger is far more involved than a Vortech kit. There is more in their kit so obviously it is going to take more time to install it. There are no advantages of having a blow off valve Vs a bypass valve. They both serve the same purpose ones just louder than the other. There is PLENTY of room for expansion with the Vortech setup and you will have the money to do it because you are spending half the price for the kit. The S-trim is good for well over 600HP, much more then the stock block can handle. Upgradable bypass valves are easy and cheap to come by, I don?t know why anyone would run two stock bypass valves, that?s just silly.

all in all, to each his own, but i've installed both kits, and i've drove a car with the vortech and a s/c is a s/c but i just like the procharger a lot better and the sound of the kit is a lot better.. just me but if you plan on making any power at all, eventually you'll see the Vortech and get a s/c with intercooler
This is a very biased post so I thought I would give a biased approach from the other side of the ring. No matter which way you go, whether it be Vortech, Procharger, or Paxton, all will make good power. Some have obvious advantages/disadvantages but you?ll have that with everything in this hobby. Get what you can afford and be happy.

A lot of people run two bosch style bypass valves in order to save from buying the 260+ mondo or MRBV (or what ever type they want).

I went with a billet ebay special with a changeable spring. It only cost 65$ and held up nicely at 15lbs with no impeller brake.

IDK if there's a real benefit of one base entry blower over the other. both are limited in Hp so if the buyer is the type of person like I am, (that's never satisfied after they mod) then they should buy the blower that best suits the CFM flow for the max expected hp range. I wish I would have started with the T trim or the N2k.

Like ^ stated:
If installed and tuned correctly, there would be no benefit of a BPV over BOV or verse-visa.

SVTHAHA

Reaction score
There are many other cheaper options for bypass/bov's that would perform much better then using two plastic crap shots. A quick raid in any junk yard and you can get your hands on several styles of nice factory units for 10-20 bucks. If you want to be fancy and have a cool sounding BOV, then you got to spend the money for it.

Any part in the automotive world has its limits in power potential. People have to be more realistic in what they plan to achieve before they start the upgrade path. 90% of users will never see the full potential of a entry level S-trim blower or P1SC from Procharger. People don't realize what it takes to make that kind of power reliably and still be able to have a fun, easy to drive, street car.