Vortech Supercharger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Whats up guys. After doing some research, I think I am ready to do a supercharger to my car. First off, what do you guys think of this supercharger here http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com...OS&Product_Code=4FH218-018SQ&Category_Code=SS
Second, here is a list of my current mods, do you guys think s/c my car is even the right route to go, i have a 1997 GT, auto...
SLP Longtubes, slp o/r xpipe, slp loudmouth catback, frpp 4.10 gears, bbk cai, steeda udp, accufab 70mm t/b and plenum, transgo shift kit
Third, does the kit i posted include everything i will need to make the complete install? I just want to make sure i am making the right decision on the kind of s/c and to get everything done right on the first try...thanks guys, let me know what you think

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thats a good kit for sure one of the more popular ones, you will like it a lot. must be nice I cant wait till im ready to order me up some boost. I would deff swap out those gears though 4.10 is steep for a charged car.

281cammer

Reaction score
That is a good choice. I have the same kit on my last 98 GT. It does include everything, except tools needed. Only special tools I had to buy was the fuel line tools if you don't have them, and a a/c line bender. Any other questions you have let me know.
Steve Ricketts

STNG_96

Reaction score
That all sounds good, and I agree with matt, get rid of those gears, way to steep get some 3:73s or something, also, get rid of the underdrives, they will hurt you when you supercharge your car.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
97Stanger-
The vortech is a good charger to start with. It all bolts on, and your stock
drivetrain can take the increase in power without needing any additional modifications.
You'll probably put down around 330 RWHP

I'm gonna have to disagree with Matt on the gears.
With a mild centrifical like this, you will have very little power gain on the low
to mid RPM range. This is where you feel the benefit of the gears.
Mid to high where the power kicks in, you'll have more momentum to keep traction with
the increase in power the blower gives you. Assuming you have good tires.
If you were looking at a posative displacement, where you have full torque in the lower
ranges, then yes you would definately want a lower gear.

I have driven a 98 with a vortec and exahust, 355's, it felt good, but wasn't amazing,
I would definately try it with you're 410's, the torque multiplication will feel that much better.

The mod's you have will all fill they're shoes with the addition of a blower.
All combo's have they're restrictions, what will limit you is your stock heads and intake manifold.

You will also want to check with your tuner on calibrating the automatic. It shifts under torque, and
the addition of a centrifigual makes it want to shift when you start into the boost.

Lastly, make sure you find a very experienced tuner, it makes a huge difference!
Good luck,

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Does anybody have a a/f ratio and/or boost gauge that they really like and works well?? I'm going to go with the dual clock gauge cluster, and there are tons of a/f ratio and boost gauges to go with...any ideas?? thanks

S281 #39B

Reaction score
You'll love it but as they said, you've got to much gear. Once you hit 4k there goes the over priced tires. My husband is having a lot of trouble learning to drive it with the vortech on it but he loves it but now he won't let me drive it.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Get a wideband a/f, trust me. I have a my regular a/f gauge, and its pretty much a light show on our cars b/c the computer is always adjusting the ratio. I'll try to take a vid of it later this week to show you what I mean. The wideband will let you see your actual rating.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
S281 #39B said:
You'll love it but as they said, you've got to much gear. Once you hit 4k there goes the over priced tires. My husband is having a lot of trouble learning to drive it with the vortech on it but he loves it but now he won't let me drive it.

hey if you cut him off (if ya know what I mean) Im sure he will let you back behind the wheel. :thumb:

94gtstang50

Reaction score

Heres that vid I was talking about, sorry for the crappy quality.

ALITL8

Reaction score
link ======> ProCharger makes a good set up too!

1996-04 4.6 GT Mustang
Description HP Gain Intercooler
8 psi w/ P600B or P-1SC 55-60% 2 Core
10, 12 psi w/ P-1SC 60-80% 3 Core

and dont forget the Paxton NOVI 1000's & 2000's <===== link

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
After talking to some people about the s/c status, i have officially decided to go with the Vortech SQ-Trim Mongoose Kit from Modular Power House. I am also giong to keep my 4.10 gears in becuase it is a centrifical supercharger. I am going to get a powerpipe along with the s/c and this should put me between 9-10 lbs, which is perfect i think. I'll let you guys know the status of everything and I'll keep ya posted. I'm hoping to make around 330rwhp...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, you'll like the mongoose, they do a great job.

Bring on the dyno!
and vids!!!

ALITL8

Reaction score
sounds good and what Dalamar said vids and dyno #'s ASAP!! ;D

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I'll definately post up some #'s and vids for you guys...

Are there any specific A/F and Boost gauges that you guys recommend I get becuase I want to start buying stuff like that soon...I'm going to get the clock gaguge cluster and want to put a boost and a/f ratio gauge, so does anybody have any that they really like or any that they know that work very well

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
people are always telling me to make sure that i get a wideband a/f ratio gauge...how does this one look??

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/aemgauge.htm

I am planning on going with that one and a boost gauge, not too sure on the boost gauge, but they are all the same so I'm more concerned with the a/f ratio one...let me know guys

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Also, for people that have had their s/c's installed by a shop, how much did they charge?? thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online