washing a 4.6L engine

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i don't cover anything, i spray it with a light mist or gentle trickle and then soak it with simple green and let it sit....then rinse it. Anything that is hard to get off i bust out the portable steamer. Then tire shine all the plastic.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I cover my alternator. Mist with water. Spray simple green. Scrub. Rinse with as little water as necessary. Dry with paper towels (especially around the spark plugs since it pools water there). Dress with engine dressing or armor all or tire dressing.

OP
OP

96 GEETEE

Reaction score
so i should stay away from a pressure washer ...............? :dunno:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
96 GEETEE said:
so i should stay away from a pressure washer ...............? :dunno:

Some people who detail for a living have done it to hundreds of engines without a single problem. Others say they have done it once and messed up their motor. I'm a little hesitant of using a pressure washer though. Unless you've got a REALLY dirty engine bay, you shouldn't have too much trouble with a degreaser and the hose.

QwanSanchez

Reaction score
I cleaned mine up pretty well with jus some foamy engine bright and a steamer

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
I cover my alt, cover my filter ( K&N FIPK) and the coil packs. use some simple green, use a brush to get the really soiled areas clean, then rinse with a light mist of water....then i let it run until it gets warm to dry some of the water off and then after that let it cool and dress the engine with some armor all or tire dressing.

MoonlightGT

Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
I cover my alt, cover my filter ( K&N FIPK) and the coil packs. use some simple green, use a brush to get the really soiled areas clean, then rinse with a light mist of water....then i let it run until it gets warm to dry some of the water off and then after that let it cool and dress the engine with some armor all or tire dressing.

exactly what i do to. havent had any problems.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i would stay away from pressure washers since i was washing my 64 chevy c10's engine with one since it leaks oil like a hose, but it got water in the oil..... i think its because it has cork gaskets on the valve covers and such. but maybe different on the new ones.

wildazme

Reaction score
I use a pressure washer on mine just use short bursts when your using it, run the engine while doing it to help dry the water off then hit it with some tire dressing. avoid getting the belt wet, your alternator, coil packs, and air filter. i have read that one of the worst things to use on an engine are a steam cleaner. the steam has a tendency of getting into electrical connectors easier.