water pump replacement

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi I recently bought and 94 GT I'm trying to fix back up to at least running and driving condition but keep finding little things wrong more and more now find out upon taking off the serpentine belt to check the harmonic balance that the water pump is bad see water pouring out the weep hole. Shows in the Haynes manual that I have to remove the power steering pulley I'm planning on buying one from Harbor Freight but wanting to make sure it'll work beforehand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/pulley...not provided&utm_referrer=direct/not provided

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Oh gotcha lol. Didn't look at the link so I'm not sure but if you have an O'Reilly's where you live you can rent a puller from them and return it when you're done.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I don't want to pay to rent one for $30-$40 especially if the one in the link will work I'll have it for future use if need be.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
autozone lets me use their tools for free but they do know me and love it when I bring my dog. I borrowed their puller for a day to do it. I didn't notice it till it was done years later but a mechanic that needed to get down to the power steering pump actually just drilled/cut out a small portion of the pulley on mine that was enough to let you pull the bolt out with out pulling the pulley off.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
No, the idler above the WP can remain in place too. And the PS pulley and PS pump can remain in place too.
I posted a link on the other thread to my TC and WP change from another site

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I see a bolt and the harmonic balance pulley is slightly above it do I need a puller or any special tool to remove and install the pulley?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can rent a HB puller from your parts house.
That bolt can be a booger though. It's super tight. There is a BIG washer under the bolt head too. Don't leave it inside when pulling the balancer.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought you were asking about the balancer.
No, Nothing special needed to remove the pulley. Just the 4 bolts, and it'll fall off.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I just recently took off my old leaking water pump and broke off a bolt and I don't have an extractor kit nor have I ever had to take a broken bolt out so don't know what to do to get it out. My step dad tried drilling through the bolt and use an extractor bit and all it did was twist the threads on the extractor bit. He said I should be able to just use the other bolts and not have to worry about it leaking. Can anyone help me figure out how to either get the broken bolt out and or let me know if I can leave the broken bolt as is and seal it and not have to worry about it until I can afford to fix it right?

lutter94

Reaction score
I just recently took off my old leaking water pump and broke off a bolt and I don't have an extractor kit nor have I ever had to take a broken bolt out so don't know what to do to get it out. My step dad tried drilling through the bolt and use an extractor bit and all it did was twist the threads on the extractor bit. He said I should be able to just use the other bolts and not have to worry about it leaking. Can anyone help me figure out how to either get the broken bolt out and or let me know if I can leave the broken bolt as is and seal it and not have to worry about it until I can afford to fix it right?

Any chance you could change your text color to white?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you have access to a welder you can weld a nut on th end and give it another try. The heat while welding it also helps to release it.

kb1982

Reaction score
Give it a shot. It might work. I had the exact same bolt break on mine. I bought a small propane gas torch to apply some heat, dont even bother with that. In the end, I welded a nut on it. I think the intenese heat of welding the nut on helped alot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online