water pump replacement

87hurricane

Reaction score
If you heat that bolt with anything other than a welder, you'll probably burn up your timing cover gasket. If that stud tool doesn't work, you can always pull the timing cover, it would give you a lot more bolt to grab onto, and you could heat it without worry as well.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
well like I said I don't have a welder or access to one nor do I have special tools I can buy things like pullers etc and have them but I've never had a bolt snap off guess partly because I maintain and service my vehicles. Just hoping I don't have the pull the whole timing chain cover for the one bolt had my step dad and buddy at work say to just put rtv sealant around the bolt and a thin bead around the pump and let it cure and that should keep it from leaking but heard more people say it'll leak bad since it doesn't have pressure on the one bolt. I sure don't have the money to have it to towed to a shop and back and have them fix it especially since the transmission is on its last leg and won't go in reverse anymore.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
If you heat that bolt with anything other than a welder, you'll probably burn up your timing cover gasket. If that stud tool doesn't work, you can always pull the timing cover, it would give you a lot more bolt to grab onto, and you could heat it without worry as well.

I'm worried about doing that since I've never pulled the harmonic balancer off, replaced an timing chain nor had to extract bolts worried more bolts might snap off while trying to get the timing chain cover off. If I go ahead and take the cover off and bolts snap off and I can get them out successfully are all the bolts the same size or different like the water pump?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ask around and I bet you can find someone with a welder to help you and do it right. It would only take a few mins to tack a nut on it and like we said the heat it uses also helps and often after welding its amazing how easy it moves.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I don't know anyone with a welder but one of my friends uncle is a mechanic going to call him tonight and see if he can come tomorrow and help me get the bolt out without having to take the timing chain cover off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online