Weight Reduction

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by cobra4978, Apr 24, 2007.

1. cobra4978

cobra4978 Well-Known Member

Any body know any good tricks to taking the weight down in your car? besides the normal rear seat delete and taking the spare tire out? i'm about to do both to my car but want to reduce the weight even more. any more ideas that wont completely destroy the interior of my car?

2. ReplicaR

ReplicaR Well-Known Member

Got power seats? Dump those for Sparcos. A nice set of aluminium TFS heads will drop a good deal of weight too.

3. cobra4978

Know where there's any at for cheap? (sparcos) and do you hve to have anything special to set the seats on?

4. ReplicaR

Sparcos and cheap never go hand in hand. Their cheapest reclining model is usually retailed at 600 dollars. You can always save money, and just buy cheaper seats off ebay, but they will not be the same quality or comfort as Sparco. Sparco also sells vehicle specific bracketry, but it is expensive as well.

5. cobra4978

Yeah the ones i looked at were real expensive like i could probably be looking into a new set of heads for how much those cost what do you think about the racing seats from summit? i know they're not as pretty but you think they are still lighter?

6. ReplicaR

Pretty much any aftermarket "racing" seat is lighter than stock. By how much, it depends on a seat to seat difference. As long as you remove the power rails of the seat, you will be saving some decent weight. Bumber supports are also good for about 30 pounds each, but I would not touch those, especially the rear one. I was hit pretty good in the back once, and the tank was leaking gas. If the bumper support was removed, I'd probably be a lot worse off. Do you have offroad midpipe yet? That's a pretty good saving of weight, when you drop those 4 cats. I was thinking of changing hood and trunk lid to carbon fiber pieces, but I'm still looking for the weight on stock pieces, and I've got a feeling that the price to pay will not justify the weight loss. Stock pieces feel light already. Some guy on a vert in this forum removed a whole bunch of weight somewhere on his car. I think the thread is in this forum, look for something along the lines of "weighted my vert"

Edit: here is a link

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=9675.0

7. cobra4978

Thanks alot man you've been alot of help i'm gonna work on my trunk some and get my rear seats outta there as well as look for some racing seats for the front then i'll go from there

8. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

Crawl under the car, look at your rear axle. See where the driveshaft hooks up? There is a big cast iron "block" hanging off of it on the underside. Its often called the "dogbone." Ditch it....its there for drive train harmonics only. If you have a convertible, there is ANOTHER big ass piece of cast iron stashed away in the right front fender....toss it. More dead weight. you want light weight seats? Kirkey prostreets. I think the weight of an entire seat with cover is probably 12lbs? They look paper thin and punishing but they are actually very comfortable with the correct covers on'em. Yank the front sway bar. It will drag the door handles from swaying in corners. Thats about it for the quick and fast stuff....

I'm going to swiss cheese the inside of my doors and and other panels here soon...

9. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

yeah the piece in the front fender on verts weigh 20lbs

10. TripleBlack

TripleBlack New Member

where is this 20lb piece?? i just bought my vert in december and got it out and kinda in the same spot.....what is it there for?

11. ga94gt

ga94gt Active Member

Don't know why it is there. But it is behind the front bumper on the passenger side it is painted black.

12. 94 DropTop

94 DropTop Well-Known Member

I heard that there was some things in the rear fenders on verts to??? Im going to make a list of all the weight reduction and weight transfer items I can think of so hopefully we can get this sticky'd for everyone.

13. TripleBlack

TripleBlack New Member

Do you have a picture don't want to remove the wrong thing....

14. 94 DropTop

94 DropTop Well-Known Member

There is a sticky at the top of the page that says weight reductions I will be adding how to's and pics. ry posted a pic of the dog bone.