Weird smells and sounds coming from my 5.0

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, so i bought a 94 gt some weeks ago and things i new from the beginning is:
1) the A/C compressor doesnt work
2) there is this weird noise coming from the rear wheels i assume. Kinda sounds like something is rubbing
3) feels like clutch is going out. or the throw out bearings

Ok so recently i noticed a really weird smell coming from the car, kinda like burning oil when i decide to go fast. But when i popped the hood no visible leaks and oil is pretty much the same as when i changed the oil. And also minimal white smoke coming out but cleared right away. The only thing i noticed was that my master cylinder had fluid around the reservoir, but when i sprinkled some on the headers it didnt smell the same. Also my "Low Coolant" light has been going on and off and finally now just on. But my fluid is full last time i changed. Have to check again when engine is cold. Also my check engine light goes on and off. Not as often but definitely makes me want to know why. and it only stays on for like a couple of miles. And also it sounds like some weird noise is coming from my power steering pump. It only happens once in a while and kind of sounds like a combo of a rattle and bogging out. I find it at times hard to put it in any gear, mainly R and 5th.

The car is all stock with no performance upgrades, it has about 120k miles.

can anyone help me out?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
low coolant light- fill your expansion tank. the sensor is in there.. Your going to have to search to find out where the coolant is going though.
CEL- pull codes. If you have a Haynes/Chilton manual and a paperclip, you can do it yourself. Change plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, clean MAF and air temp sensor.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Burning smell is probably your clutch slipping.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
So i checked where the smell/smoke is coming from and its coming from the passenger side. I will refill the expansion tank and see if it goes out. And i dont feel the clutch slipping. So can it be something else? Or do you think its the clutch still? I dont really here the throw bearings anymore. SO i dont know whats going on with it. The gears still go in a little hard, not where i have to shove it in gear but i have to give it a little push.

if it turns out to be the clutch which one should i go with? and do i just need to do the clutch kit? or slave cylinder? flywheel?

86svo9l

Reaction score
Give your clutch pedal a hard pull towards the drivers seat you should feel it pull slightly back at you. This will allow it to self adjust. Not saying it will fix your problem, but it is free and is easy to check.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Could also be your rear main leaking onto your flywheel and clutch disc then your clutch slipping in the process.

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Give your clutch pedal a hard pull towards the drivers seat you should feel it pull slightly back at you. This will allow it to self adjust. Not saying it will fix your problem, but it is free and is easy to check.

Gonna try thatt tonight thank you

OP
OP
B

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Could also be your rear main leaking onto your flywheel and clutch disc then your clutch slipping in the process.

how can i know for sure without actually taking it apart?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Gonna try thatt tonight thank you

Yeah you'll hear a click if you listen slowly. Also look down there and see if any of the teeth are gone. There just a plastic adjuster and easily break since the cars are 20 yrs old.

There really isn't a way to 100% diagnose it and say that's it. Only think you can do it look and see if you have oil seepage right at your bellhousing. The only problem with that it could be the rear main or could be the oil pan gasket sweating over time.

boss302whr

Reaction score
how can i know for sure without actually taking it apart?

Since it is a five speed, if you lift the front if the car so you can craw underneath it, you can take the "clutch fork cover" off. This should allow you to see the clutch and you may even be able to see if it is wet.

The "clutch fork cover" is on the driver side of the transmission on the bottom, there will be a cable coming from it there is only one bolt( I think it is an 8mm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online