Wet carpet passenger floorboard.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Check the grommet around your antenna wire. Mine was dry rotted underneath and water running off the upper cowl ran over that area and into the crack in the rubber. Lots of dampness from a small crack.

mustang1996gt

Reaction score
The drains are back in front of the rear tires. One on each side. Look like this

View attachment 29074

The convertible top is designed to channel all the water flowing down it into two large pockets under the rear quarter windows, where these drains are. If they are clogged, the side channel under the door fills with water. Often times it comes out in the rear floor, but if the car is parked with the nose downhill, the water can flow up the channel and come out in the front area. If you pull up the door sill and peel back the carpet, you'll see it's wide open int he front.

Clear the drains with a coathanger or compressed air. There's couple rubber plugs in the floor you can pull to help the water drain out in the meantime, and just peel back the carpet and let it dry. You can also get in the car and have someone use a hose on the exterior and see if oyu can ID leaks.

The header seal around the windshield is also another source. Water flows around the windshield and actually runs down a channel in the A-pillar seal on the inside of the window and then crosses over and dumps at the front of the door jamb. Sometimes this seal get filled with leaves and detritus in the channel, which causes the water to dam up and spill over in the area where the mach 460 speaker is. It then flows down the inside of the dash area somewhat out of sight onto the floor. The 01-04 seal is redesigned and compatible with the 94-00 cars, but you need a few seals as they all work together.

I had the same leak in my '00 convertible. I cleared the rear drains, as well as cleaned the inner channels on the header seals (and found leaves). That seems to have done the trick as it's been several months now with no leak problems. I park the car outdoors, so it's always in the rain.
Hi, I have this issue. I could not figure out where these holes are. I look under the car and I thought I found them until I tried to stick something inside it and they are completely sealed up. Maybe on a 96 its little different but it felt like they are not even drain holes. i tried coat hanger and it starts to bend on me as if the holes are welded. I ended up pulling the side skirts off and air spraying every single hole with compressed air there was no leaves or anything like that. but I'm sure its the water that flows over the top and supposed to drain into the body and out the bottom. and pine needles and dust does get in there. I pulled carpet and door sill and looked where the water goes but still cannot find where it supposed to drain out of. I temporarily mitigate the issue by putting a car cover over every time it rains. since this is not my daily. If anyone can give any advise on what to do that would be appreciated. :) My dream is to have car outside in the rain and not have issues. I've had to wake up in middle of the night and put cover on when it starts raining.

Attachments

• 20230507_174224.jpg
    20230507_174224.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230507_142959.jpg
    20230507_142959.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230502_192409.jpg
    20230502_192409.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230502_192335.jpg
    20230502_192335.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 6

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Those are in fact drain holes, all the way down to 1994. You should be able to get something through them. If i pour water on my convertible top, within 5-10 seconds or so I'll start getting water coming out of those holes on both sides.

They aren't really tubes, but more like a kink in the sheet metal from where ford spot-welded the two panels together. Usually there's an corrosion inhibiting paint sprayed as well, which is why i'm hesitant to say run a drill bit up there because now you can induce future rust there.

Do you have something stiffer than a coat hanger? A thin punch you can hammer upwards?

When the pockets under the rear windows fills and cannot drain, the water actually comes out of the seams in the rocker that face the pass compartment. When the water gets REALLY high, it comes out of the open holes in the rocket near the passengers feet.

Really, you gotta get those two holes clear.

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Can you see these holes from the inside if you take the rear inside quarter panels out and the speaker boxes and rear seats?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Can you see these holes from the inside if you take the rear inside quarter panels out and the speaker boxes and rear seats?

Not really. Just cant get a good angle to peer in there. The window mechanism is in the way as well. With good lighting and maybe a mirror you might be able to see it.

This is with the speaker box, and plastic panel that seals this compartment removed. (not my car)

You can certainly get a vacuum in there and maybe loosen up debris with a screwdriver. You can also pour water directly in here to see if it drains

I hesitate to say drill a new, larger hole because that might set you up with potential rust issues down the road, plus it's kinda hack. But i've seen that done. A 1/4" hole might be all that's needed. Apply some good paint inside and out and monitor. I'd leave this as a last resort though and it's not my official recommendation. I would recommend clean and clear the existing drain.

1696960922749.png

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
You can certainly get a vacuum in there and maybe loosen up debris with a screwdriver. You can also pour water directly in here to see if it drains
That is what I'm getting at. I'm afraid if you just blow compressed air from underneath it will blast the anything actually on top of the drain away, but when water runs in there it will just clog again.

Need to get at the top to suck up the debris.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online