Repairable?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The hook that holds the driver side floor mat in place has completely torn loose from the carpet. I’m bone-on-bone in my left knee with less than 45* of rotation, so when I get in I have to lean waaaay in towards the passenger side back seat and shove back far enough to get my leg in. Countless times doing this, especially recently getting the new gauge bezel in, was the final culprit! Thankfully once I’m in I can work the clutch just fine, so at least I can still drive it! But anyway, back on point….

Anyone experience this problem with the torn-off hook before?? And/or have way(s) to fix/repair? As always, many thanks… Cheers!

b1pig

Reaction score
Is the hook broken, or did it tear out the hole in the carpet?
(guessing the carpet tore out)

You might find someone in an upholstery shop with a crafty way of fixing it, but I think most would say the carpet would need to be replaced if it did tear out.

Your other slightly more permanent option is to tie the floormat back to the seat pan with like 550 cord or something. I wouldn't use a ziptie... but 550 cord would be strong, have color options and you could tie knot in it that you can undo.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is the hook broken, or did it tear out the hole in the carpet?
(guessing the carpet tore out)

You might find someone in an upholstery shop with a crafty way of fixing it, but I think most would say the carpet would need to be replaced if it did tear out.

Your other slightly more permanent option is to tie the floormat back to the seat pan with like 550 cord or something. I wouldn't use a ziptie... but 550 cord would be strong, have color options and you could tie knot in it that you can undo.
Hook is not broken, just tore completely away from the carpet. Since posting, I did read where a guy cut a small piece of carpet, flipped it over, glued it inside the hole then glued the hook to it. Used glue again, carefully and accurately, to glue the car to that and called it done! He used gobs of Geurilla Glue, but Contact Cement would probably work too.

Sounds kinda hanky, but might be worth a try.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stacked some milled cardboard, glued it to the floorboard. Slid the thin strip of carpet back into the clip and then glued that to the top of the cardboard. Drying now; see in a bit if it worked…
IMG_1710.jpegIMG_1712.jpeg
Still a little spongy. Doesn’t feel sturdy enough but we’ll see. Let it continue to dry overnight and check again tomorrow

Last edited:

Slice

Reaction score
Hook is not broken, just tore completely away from the carpet. Since posting, I did read where a guy cut a small piece of carpet, flipped it over, glued it inside the hole then glued the hook to it. Used glue again, carefully and accurately, to glue the car to that and called it done! He used gobs of Geurilla Glue, but Contact Cement would probably work too.

Sounds kinda hanky, but might be worth a try.
Sometimes contact cement will fail and start to separate if it gets warmed up. I'm thinking a car sitting in the sun the interior can get pretty warm.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes contact cement will fail and start to separate if it gets warmed up. I'm thinking a car sitting in the sun the interior can get pretty warm.
Had thought of that, but let’s see how it goes. If it fails, I’ll come up with a Plan B, C, D…..

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah, huh? Didn’t think that one through, did I? Got so excited that I had something I could easily trim to fit and got ahead of myself. Doh!

Ok, so what are we thinking? Plastic? Metal? Aluminum? Open to suggestions… and thanks again for looking out for me everyone! Cheers!

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why not get a scrap of black carpet?
Spray the underside of your carpet with 3M adhesive, then stick the scrap piece of carpet to it. The bigger the scrap piece, the better contact patch for adhesion.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why not get a scrap of black carpet?
Spray the underside of your carpet with 3M adhesive, then stick the scrap piece of carpet to it. The bigger the scrap piece, the better contact patch for adhesion.
Yes, that’s actually what I found on yet another Utube. I’d like to try that, but now the his is to find a scrap piece of carpet to fill that void!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No luck. Probably tossed them because they were in shambles. Who knew?!

TrickVert

Reaction score
A larger piece, rubber-backed and secured to the floor pan might hold up better. The hook could just protrude through the existing hole in the carpet.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good suggestions, both. I was able to stop by my upholsterer. He was thinking a 1/8” screw into to floor pan, sealed and rust-treated.
Any thoughts on this??

green5point0

Reaction score
I would probably do a sheet metal screw, but with a little piece of metal instead of your floor pan. The bottom or a soup can would probably be easy to get, flat, and about the right size to not pull through. I would recommend using rubbing alcohol or acetone or similar to remove moisture before applying some adhesive or paint, to create a seal to keep from sandwiching metal together as that could help rust occur.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online