Repairable?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That’s called good ol’ American backyard ingenuity! Hey, it’s worthy of consideration

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would have got some carpet and just glued it to the bottom myself. A screw sounds easy but it isn't designed to be held that way and it would probably just end up breaking it eventually.

TrickVert

Reaction score
He said soup can *bottom*. The top? Yeah, that's just silly. ;)

Screw (or rivet) the hook to the can... piece, and it won't pull up through the hole in the carpet. Better may be to also have a piece of something under the hook to sandwich the carpet.... like a trimmed-down 2-liter pop bottle cap (since we're already raiding the pantry). :D Paint it black, and you'll never notice it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, this is getting fun!

I only have Diet Pepsi cans in the pantry. Would they be too thin compared to Regular Pepsi to use? Maybe I could double them up. ROFLMFAO

OK, back to reality though: IMO, any of these suggestions “would work”, but I think I’m going to first pursue the “cut a piece from under the seat” idea. See if there’s a place under there I’m comfortable doing that to. Damn…Wish I had remembered to ask the upholsterer if he had a scrap piece around. I’ll message him and see.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If I were still working in the install bay and had access to carpet glue like I use to(or your upholsterer should have) it would have been a quick fix. I would cut a small square out and put glue on one side, then put a little glue on the back of the carpet and let it set up till it was tachy like a contact cement and press the two together to let the glue set. Maybe put a brick on top of it for a few minutes but after that all you should need to do is put a new hole in the new piece and then install the hook again. Today with no access to the carpet glue I would probably substitute a super 90 contact adhesive.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I were still working in the install bay and had access to carpet glue like I use to(or your upholsterer should have) it would have been a quick fix. I would cut a small square out and put glue on one side, then put a little glue on the back of the carpet and let it set up till it was tachy like a contact cement and press the two together to let the glue set. Maybe put a brick on top of it for a few minutes but after that all you should need to do is put a new hole in the new piece and then install the hook again. Today with no access to the carpet glue I would probably substitute a super 90 contact adhesive.
Fortunately (for once) I have both: contact cement & Super 90 adhesive! Used it to tidy up the under hood liner before it completely separated from itself. Still holding fast.
And just to clarify (so I don’t F it up like only I can!):

Pull back carpet.
Spray the Super 90 on underside, let set up.
Attach carpet swatch face up(ie, black carpet side) face up or face down??

I would imagine face up to fill in the hole with black carpet but my minds mind is asking how well the carpet fibers will hold to the underside?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Just go to a local craft store for a remnant.
Pull back carpet.
Spray the Super 90 on underside, let set up.
Attach carpet swatch face up(ie, black carpet side) face up??
Yes.

No screws into the floor. No soup can lids. No soda cans.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, thank god! Cutting out a soda can bottom or using a soup lid would put a serious dent in my recycling money! LOL

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It would be flat and strong enough of a base to hold the hook under the carpet without coming through the hole as it would be a bigger base.
Hey, it is still an option and if other suggestions fail, I will surely try it. Thanks again!

green5point0

Reaction score
Hey, it is still an option and if other suggestions fail, I will surely try it. Thanks again!
I hadn’t refreshed the page and thought someone was actually questioning how it would work. I think I’ll go make another cup of coffee…

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found this: hitch cover off the Ram. Could trim to fit, glue it in and glue the clip on top.
Huh? Huh? Huh? Whatcha think?!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmm..... No.

:p
Oh yes, I did! Trimmed the bottom of that bad boy so it set in there nicely. Glued it down; waited 2+ hours. Solid

Then I ran the slice of carpet thru the clip and glued the snot out of that to the top of my makeshift rubber boot.

Came out fine, IMO…

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And here’s a shocker (to no one)…. my attempt didn’t hold, for long. So, it’s off to the upholstery shop to beg (or buy dirt cheap) a remnant of black carpet. Do the glue thing as suggested earlier and see how THAT goes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online