what pads do you like or hate?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
For your heavy flow days what do you use?

A while back my buffing pads were getting worn so I decided to order some new ones. Chemical bros was the first thing that popped up on amazon and knowing how much I use to hear them I thought they must be good. I HATED these things and was never able to get comfortable with any of them to the point I burned through in on spot and just left it looking worse than I hoped. I read here that some others had the same issues so I am happy to hear that its not just me. Yesterday I decided to spend the weekend on paint since I have to wait for monday to get the alignment so I pulled out the old pads and was so happy to see that they were working better than the new chemical bros pads. But these pads are still a bit worn and could use replacing so I am curious what pads you guys use and like?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I posed this same question on a facebook page and I guess I was a little surprised to get a response of 3m products. After hearing about nothing but chemical bros or lake pads on line the searches really do not land on any 3m detailing products. Yesterday I was in my local paint/detail supply store and I saw they had a 3m semi-fine polishing pad and decided to try it. It was an 8" pad vs the 6" I had been using and that bugged me a little as it seems even with the 6" there are just enough curves and negative space areas that I was already having issues with reacing but I thought I would try it but not expecting anything amazing since I figured its just a little different foam. HOLY SHIT I AM AMAZED.... After just a few minutes I was comfortable with it and it was clearing up some of the spots I have had issues with. So amazed I ordered the fine and ultra-fine pad from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036BZ0HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Pad-Foam-...WJD977AESC0&psc=1&refRID=33BXH6BN7WJD977AESC0

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I posed this same question on a facebook page and I guess I was a little surprised to get a response of 3m products. After hearing about nothing but chemical bros or lake pads on line the searches really do not land on any 3m detailing products. Yesterday I was in my local paint/detail supply store and I saw they had a 3m semi-fine polishing pad and decided to try it. It was an 8" pad vs the 6" I had been using and that bugged me a little as it seems even with the 6" there are just enough curves and negative space areas that I was already having issues with reacing but I thought I would try it but not expecting anything amazing since I figured its just a little different foam. HOLY SHIT I AM AMAZED.... After just a few minutes I was comfortable with it and it was clearing up some of the spots I have had issues with. So amazed I ordered the fine and ultra-fine pad from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036BZ0HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Pad-Foam-...WJD977AESC0&psc=1&refRID=33BXH6BN7WJD977AESC0

You do know that most professional body shops use only 3m don’t you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well yea I hang out at them and ask all the time and if you knew this all this time why didn't ya say something?

I worked at one car audio shop that leased its space from a place that did automotive detailing and ran a limo/bus biz. They didn't use 3m, can't remember what it was but just not 3m. Thinking back though the detailing was more of a side biz and the party bus/limo was the main gig. They were not the brightest obviously as no place with half a brain running a detail biz would lease space to us. There was no wood shop and dust everywhere on our end I know from it. It was really just a good-old-boys shop where all his buddy's would show up at 5pm with a 6 pack and see if he would wash/wax their car/bike/what ever.

joe65

Reaction score
try this site: good resource.

autogeek.net

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well yea I hang out at them and ask all the time and if you knew this all this time why didn't ya say something?

I worked at one car audio shop that leased its space from a place that did automotive detailing and ran a limo/bus biz. They didn't use 3m, can't remember what it was but just not 3m. Thinking back though the detailing was more of a side biz and the party bus/limo was the main gig. They were not the brightest obviously as no place with half a brain running a detail biz would lease space to us. There was no wood shop and dust everywhere on our end I know from it. It was really just a good-old-boys shop where all his buddy's would show up at 5pm with a 6 pack and see if he would wash/wax their car/bike/what ever.

Have you asked me before?!?! Most body shops use almost nothing but 3m for all products such as pads, sand paper, sanding blocks, epoxy and binders. They use 3m masking tape and paper.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you asked me before?!?!

well yes I did ask ya about a month ago......

For your heavy flow days what do you use?

A while back my buffing pads were getting worn so I decided to order some new ones. Chemical bros was the first thing that popped up on amazon and knowing how much I use to hear them I thought they must be good. I HATED these things and was never able to get comfortable with any of them to the point I burned through in on spot and just left it looking worse than I hoped. I read here that some others had the same issues so I am happy to hear that its not just me. Yesterday I decided to spend the weekend on paint since I have to wait for monday to get the alignment so I pulled out the old pads and was so happy to see that they were working better than the new chemical bros pads. But these pads are still a bit worn and could use replacing so I am curious what pads you guys use and like?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well yes I did ask ya about a month ago......

You sure about that???? I know I’ve slept, drank, and smoked plenty since then but I think I’d remember a question like that........... [emoji848]

Werecow

Reaction score
Shit... I do good remembering what I did 2 days ago let alone last week... If I don't put shit down here that I did to my car I'll forget it within 2 or 3 days!!!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You sure about that???? I know I’ve slept, drank, and smoked plenty since then but I think I’d remember a question like that........... [emoji848]

WELL GOOOOOOOLEEEEEEY ya know don't worry about it its obviously my fault. If it were important enough I would have written it down somewhere that you would be sure to see it. If I had not been in such a huge hurry I guess it wouldn't have been an issue but you know me I don't like to take my time :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
WELL GOOOOOOOLEEEEEEY ya know don't worry about it its obviously my fault. If it were important enough I would have written it down somewhere that you would be sure to see it. If I had not been in such a huge hurry I guess it wouldn't have been an issue but you know me I don't like to take my time :)

041875dcdbf5a8f78f260df7f54e1b54.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my new pads arrive tomorrow, but today I got another part of the order. The new pad got it a lot better, but not perfect so I decided to try some 3m rubbing compound and it arrived today. I have been super busy today cleaning and organizing the garage that I didn't even notice the bottle arrived but I wasn't really planning on using it till tomorrow with the new pads. After I finished everything I could do in the garage I figured what the heck lets try a dab with the other pad and see what happened. This time was just like the other first 3m experience where it didn't seem difficult to control, keep even pressure or any problems and while it was dark enough the door was closed and the lighting sucked because of a burned bulb but I could tell a difference as soon as I moved the polisher. Damnit now that sunday usps dude better get here early like he likes to do so I can start to really make this thing shine.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the new stuff is amazing and with it I was finally confident enough to lean into it hard enough to get it working. Its still just so much easier to control I can't believe how different it is and the results show it. I still had to use my angle drill and some small pads for all the little areas and that took some time since its slower but it got the job done between the two. Today I started waxing as you can tell in the pic. Make cool shtuff and you get to wax and polish cool shtuff..
bCIvmu7.jpg

I thought I would be able to finish it up today but it took a little longer than I thought. I stated off with the p21s cleansing wax. Its a very light/thin wax with a slight solvent in it that I just worked in with the polisher and the fine polishing pad to clean it. Then I went with the jetseal109 for the sealer wax. It doesn't polish all that well but it does hold up and last. After that I went to the mcgwires techwax. This is still a nice lasting wax but this stuff really buffs up nicely when you take it off with the polisher on low and a super soft pad(fuzzy bastard I can't remember what its made from now). Finally I will go over it all with the p21s carnuba. This wax does not last all that long but its a super easy on/off wax that REALLY polishes nicely. I only did one coat of the cleanser but 2 coats of each other which is why its taking so long.
3nQ4vyO.jpg

It was nice to see the green come out in the polish but its fun to see the DFG slowly get darker and fade to black in some light angles with the wax on it. I think I will have one last coat to do in the morning under good light so I can be sure to get it all off. Then the old girl is begging to have some pics taken out in the daylight...

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm really liking these threads that youse guys have been putting up on this kinda subjects. This one and the others on how to restore your paint have been really cool and giving me a lot of good info that I'm learning for when I actually have good paint in my ride! The paint on it is too far gone for saving and normally I'd be against doing a color change, but there's a maroon/candy I've seen lately on Mazdas that have really cought my eye or maybe one of the deep blues that Ford has out might look good. But that's at least a year or so down the road... Anyhoooooo just wanna say thanks again for the good threads on keeping the shine on!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online