What to do or not to do with fresh paint?

9646gt

Reaction score
So I am having my car painted this weekend. They said it will take a week to finish. I am just curious on what I should or shouldn't do? Like is it okay to use a wax or paint sealent right away? should I not wash it for a set amount of time? Just making sure I don't do anything that can cause any issues.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
rule #1 - don't scratch it.

I was told last year after needing my side done to wait 90-120 days before waxing

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Holy crap that long without waxing?!? That's like a prison sentence for me! lol. But seriously I have always wondered if this were true since the paint is baked basically.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
dont wax or seal it! its not like factory paint where its already fully cured by the time it gets to you...body shops cant replicate that process and it needs to cure for like 90 days, before you seal it up thus not alowing it to breathe.

joekd

Reaction score
When i got my car out of the shop they said one month water wash only, after that normal car washes andquick detail spray only till after 90 days then it's fine to polish/seal/wax it

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
dont wax or seal it! its not like factory paint where its already fully cured by the time it gets to you...body shops cant replicate that process and it needs to cure for like 90 days, before you seal it up thus not alowing it to breathe.
exactly!

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the replies guys. I have been reading about out gassing so I won't seal or wax it. First I have heard of using only water to wash it. Seems like the lack of any soap lubricating the contaminents would cause it to scratch alot easier. Can you not use some type of car soap that doesn't have any wax added in?

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i never heard anything about washing it with soap. when they cut and buff your car they will usec soap to get the compound off so i see no reason not to use soap when ya wash. but yea, try to avoid any kinda soap with protectants/wax

chrisv_10

Reaction score
I used a wax that was safe for painted cars at the shop I used to work at. I would use it on every car that I would buff after I painted it. It was formulated to allow the solvents to evaporate through it. I don't remember the name of it, but I'm sure you can find something on Google.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
in all seriousness truly fresh paint is VERY suseptable to light scratching/marring by simply lightly dragging the back of your fingernails down it. If you can avoid driving it as much as possible for a month or two to ensure that stupid things do not happen to it. Never heard the water only thing either but I managed to avoid it all together for the first 2 months before I finally sealed/waxed it.

188slo50

Reaction score
No type of silicon based sealants wax,sealer.spray wax) for 120 days but you can use instant detailer on it. Be sure to wash it with a quality car wash soap and use the 2 bucket method or atleast have a screen in the bottom of your soap bucket. If the sop did a bake cycle on it it does help with the out gassing process and do not put a car cover on it till it has completely cured.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i know mine is'nt a DD in any way but i never scrub on mine with rags and buckets of soapy water. car wash sprayer and micro fiber towels to dry. start at top and work towards the bottom when spraying and drying.

but i get if ya get mud all over it or dont have a car wash near by the 2 bucket and rags is all ya can do.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
havent read most of these posts but at my shop we always suggest 3 months before waxing.....this gives the paint time to fully cure and release any/all chemicals trying to flash out......similar to when you wipe something down with rubbing alcohol how it takes a few seconds for the wetness to go away....thats actually going down into the paint and drying back out.....same principle with painting

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
All comments noted guys. I will only wash when really needed and will use the good ole 2 bucket method and a soap with no was in it. Won't wax for 3 months. If I MUST wax I will use the optimum wax that is safe for fresh paint.

ChemicalGuys

Reaction score
Most painter recommend waiting 30 days before waxing or sealing the paintwork. This is because the paint needs to breath. Water based paint will need to let out gases and vapor while it cures. As the gases and vapor leave the paint, the paint will shrink and cure properly. You dont wanna seal up the paintwork until it has fully cured.

You can use a waterbased glaze product like Chemical Guys EZ-CREME GLAZE that allows the paintwork to breath. This can be applied within a few days of being painted.

Once 30 days has passed, i recommend placing a coat of sealant or Wax on the surface.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Auto_Paint_Reconditioning_EZ_Creme_Glaze_Acrylic_p/gap_111_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Paint_Sealant_JetSeal_109_p/wac_118_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Nr_1_Grade_Yellow_Carnauba_Automotive_Paste_Wax_p/wac_301.htm

Hope this helps!!!

188slo50

Reaction score
Paint takes a minimum of 20 days for solvents to fully leave(thats also depends on bake/cool down cycle times) but each manuf. is different and you should ask the shop for there recomended time due to the warranty on the paint. Ive used the ^^^ water based stuff before and it does work great until the paint has cured.

Sinned83

Reaction score
My DD was in a collision and when I got it back the shop already had a wax of some kind on it.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
^sure it was wax and not just a hand glaze? or swirl remover...

Sinned83

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a wax but its my dads shop I'll ask him.

OP
OP

9646gt

Reaction score
The makers of the Optimum wax said it's safe to use after one week as it still allows the paint to breakth and degas. Seems some body shops are using this same product as it's waterbased and have had only great results. Was told once I no longer smell paint smell in the garage of the morning the paint should be pretty much done degasing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online