What to do or not to do with fresh paint?

Roy1

Reaction score
Do not wax or silicone polish new paint for 60 days.
the purpose for not using silicone wax is it tends to bake the paint underneath, as paint can take up to 90 days to release its chemicals, this can become stuck and cause cracking or blistering.
Also silicone causes paint to go insane, so if you required to do a touch up, it could cause problems.
I wouldn't use silicone based items for up to a year, just to be secure.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
I do this everyday and you can wax it color sand it and buff it 1 day after its done .. lol lol

I color sand cars with 1000 grit sand paper and fully polish and wax then all the time it will not hurt anything trust me .. If you hand wax it or orbital buff it or even high speed buff it it wont hurt anything ..

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I trust Derek simply from seeing his work . He knows his stuff just look at the paint on his car

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
So most people will say dont wax a new paint job because the paint wont breath but I do all the 2 main dealerships black cars for swirl free finish and what they do is paint the car and i come and color sand buff it and then wax it and detail it for the customer and that is all done in 2 days after the car was painted so its not going to hurt anything i promise you will be fine .. Most of the time paint shops dont want you touching your new paint because they dont want to have to fix anything u **** up so they dont lose money lol lol ..

188slo50

Reaction score
You can use any water based product out there and not have problems its the silicon based products that are your problems. Do as you want but I'd be careful with what you put on it and if you have any doubt call the paint manufacturer and ask them cause there the ones who will decline your warranty request if its the wrong product.

Nacho98

Reaction score
ill go with the dont wax for 90 days crowd.

also let me tell you, new paint is SOFT AS SHIT even after the body shop bakes it at 200 degrees or whatever temp they do it at (factory is like 400-600 degrees). as in, a microfiber with even a little pressure is all it takes to scratch it quite badly. i know because i just went through this with the wife's new beetle after some douche hit it with a piece of furniture when it was three weeks old.

I would do everything possible to not touch it at all for 90 days. I wouldn't even feel comfortable bringing it to a touchless carwash with the unnecessarily high pressure nozzles beating the snot out of the paint. i would just suffer with it and accept youll pretty much have a dirty car for a while. if you ahve a house and can wash it yourself, then i would just flood water over it softly and since its winter you wont really have to worry about water spot etching, i would really just let the water more or less run off it on a cloudy cold day. at most i would blot dry it as gentle as possible with an ultra soft mf, but that's the most i would do.

new paint is a COMPLETE pain in the ass.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
DONT let your kid,wife,girlfriend,mom or day drive it ANYWHERE..if you dont want any more scratches that is..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online