Wheel Pitting

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Any tips on how to get rid of this shit? I've been going at this one wheel for an hour and I quit!! This is the results. Wish I had a before picture but trust me it was bad

498b0f49.jpg

uh0h50

Reaction score
Man that clearcoat looks done on that wheel. I'd try acetone on a rag on a small area and see what it does.

Saint

Reaction score
If all else fails you can do something like this...

5objap.jpg

In your choice of color...

heres what I did

sand with 40 grit, yes, 40 grit....then sand with 100 and 180 grit

wash off with water then spay some cleaner like simple green, I used comet...scrub...rinse ...let air dry

3 coats of self etching primer after last coat let dry for 2-4 hours so it sets in good

2 light coats of adhesion promoter

3 coats of your color of choice silver gloss silver or whater...and the 3rd coat...let it dry over night!....Wet sand with 1000 grit you'll know it's smooth cause the sand paper will just begin to glide on the surface with no effort

now heres where your skill comes in

2 coats of clear coat! the first coat should nearly get full coverage but no look sheeted on the wheel because it will run...let dry 20 minutes and apply 2nd coat in a medium fashion misting it into full coverage...put too much and it may dry with a yellow tinge

...now let cure for 4-5 days...my own definition of cured is that when you put your nose 4 inches away from the painted surface you shouldn't get dizzy...thats cured in my book

wear safty gear and stuff too that metal dust can blind you

dont half you know what it either...paint the back of the wheel too

have fun dont be skurd

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
paint will only look good until that tire is taken off unfortunatly and more then likely you will mar the edges when the tire goes over it.... There is a reason they use powder.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
steel wool should clean it right up

Yeah. I used some Brillo Pads that had a cleared injected into them. I have the same problem with pitting but it did clean it up a lot. I'd love to have my wheels re-done but the cost just isn't worth it to me.

Pictures:
IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Basically I washed the wheel (inside and out)
Dried
Soaked inside with Simple Green (and a few others to see what would work best)
Scrubbed with Brillo Pads
Rinsed and repeated with Simple Green / scrubbing
I was a little worried about Simple Green eating up the wheel since I had never done this before but it came out decent. Still have pitting but looks a lot better.

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
steel wool should clean it right up

That was after using steel wool.... For an hour. I can't hand polish or sand or use steel wool like that anymore, my hands are just destroyed anymore from work I can't physically keep constant downward pressure. My solution was to weave many layers of steel wool on to a drill bit and use it like a polishing ball but it only got it so far then it became too aggressive. I've gotten to the point to where I believe these wheels are not salvageable and they are definitely not getting refinished as its my brother in laws marina truck and he really doesnt care that much about it.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Brillo pad MIGHT work, but will causing marring.

This is what happens when wheels are not cleaned and brake dust is left to eat away at the wheel coating. Brake dust is VERY corrosive.

The best bet for you might be to sand down the wheels and have then re-painted.

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Brillo pad MIGHT work, but will causing marring.

This is what happens when wheels are not cleaned and brake dust is left to eat away at the wheel coating. Brake dust is VERY corrosive.

The best bet for you might be to sand down the wheels and have then re-painted.

For some reason it was just the one wheel. I'm assuming he let the brakes run down to nothing on this side and they spewed rust all over the wheels (at least thats what it looked like). Definitely not repainting them though lol

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no, he just didnt clean the wheel on a regular basis and left the brake dust to eat the wheel away.

A guy at my work just bought a miata with the same issue.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
The pictures I posted were one the three sets of wheels I got when I purchased my Cobra. The previous owner seriously neglected cleaning them. That took me well over 4 hours to do and there was still a lot of pitting but it showed how much did come off with just a Brillo Pad, degreaser, and time. Not saying its perfect but looks a lot better. All four wheels looked like that.

Saint

Reaction score
The pictures I posted were one the three sets of wheels I got when I purchased my Cobra. The previous owner seriously neglected cleaning them. That took me well over 4 hours to do and there was still a lot of pitting but it showed how much did come off with just a Brillo Pad, degreaser, and time. Not saying its perfect but looks a lot better. All four wheels looked like that.

Nice wish I could have done that to mine...Mine were at the point of no return due to being neglected by the previous owner

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
You might want to go to a local detail shop and ask for wheel "acid"

Ive used some acid shit with a brush that could get some serious brake dust that would take sandpaper or a brillo pad otherwise.

If that fails you may need to resort to sand paper/ brillo pad and a respray if it means that much to you

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
3M. makes a headligh repair kit, that can solve scratches in paint and fix all kinds of things ,

Saint

Reaction score
I had to paint my wheels they were so bad. just a temporary fix until I buy some new ones since the only powder coating shop that would do wheels wanted to charge me 130 a wheel....thats the best solution in my honest opinion, brand new wheels no one else has put miles on...then you can take care of them properly and peeling chome, clear coat or pitting wont bug you any more...

if you like those rims that much maybe your local powder coater wont chop your nuts off to coat them

OP
OP
S

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
You might want to go to a local detail shop and ask for wheel "acid"

Ive used some acid shit with a brush that could get some serious brake dust that would take sandpaper or a brillo pad otherwise.

If that fails you may need to resort to sand paper/ brillo pad and a respray if it means that much to you

Oh yeah I forgot about that crazy wheel acid. That shit is intense!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online