Wheel spacers

WarHorse

Reaction score
I just got a new set of tires and i really want to widen my rear stance so i can have my rear wheels flush with my fenders. im running 255's and i think a 1 inch spacer should do the trick, what i really want to know is will a spacer in any way weaken my rear ends stability?

In my opinion you are adding something to the rear axle that doesnt belong there, but i have never heard of any problems with them. Post up some experiences, does anyone running spacers drag race? if so have you had any problems with them? and does anyone running spacers use them while running on a road course? and if so have you ever had anything fail?

Also can this harm my cars everyday driving in anyway? by means of turning radius or handling of any kind.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
I was running a 275 out back and had a 1 inch spacer that I bought off eBay for like $40. Never had any problems with them at all. Went to the drag strip every Saturday. Didn't feel any difference as far as daily driveablity goes. Just make sure that you get a spacer that has the same size bore as your rear hub and you'll never have to mess with them again.

this was actually pretty close to the same ones that i had bought if it helps you out any.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Whee...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
I've ran 1" spacers with my 275s in the back for years. Mine were hub centric though not like the ones in that ebay link. They were also ebay ones though, and I've ran them at high speed here on the Autobahn with no problems.

Mike

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
It really depends on the wheels your using. I couldn't put the stock OEM 17" wheels back on with the spacers without trimming the studs.

Mike

Lee12609

Reaction score
i had to cut the studs on mine with 1.25" spacers. that was with OEM bullitt wheels.

gtorange97

Reaction score
I've 1.25" with Steeda ultra lite wheels and 275/40/17

IMG_0526.jpg

dsg gts

Reaction score
i actually founr mine to be more stable with the 1 inchers on i also run 1/4 up front. i have th 01 cobras on mine. my back tires are 255 45 17. no problems in amy form of racing.i didn't trim anything off of mine.

OP
OP
W

WarHorse

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the info guys, im currently looking at these on american muscle

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1in-billet-aluminum-wheel-spacers.html

However i dont know if they are hub centric, from what i briefly googled, i just read that hub centric wheel spacers are better than i guess regular spacers but i still dont know how or why they are better. can anyone briefly explain this and point me in the right direction?

JJhirsch

Reaction score
AUTOBAHN said:
It really depends on the wheels your using. I couldn't put the stock OEM 17" wheels back on with the spacers without trimming the studs.

Mike

why does the wheels matter it would only be the studs are your hub i they are longer then 1 inch then you will have to grind them down so your wheel doesn't hit them going on

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
JJhirsch said:
AUTOBAHN said:

Mike

why does the wheels matter it would only be the studs are your hub i they are longer then 1 inch then you will have to grind them down so your wheel doesn't hit them going on

No, Some wheels have indents/space for the studs that are a little longer so you don't have to shorten them. Some wheels are just flat in that area, and you have to shorten the studs. I know this from experiance.

Mike

Untame-d

Reaction score
Those are not hubcentric though. I would only go hubcentric.

I have hubcentric ones on the back with 275's also.

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
No, They're not true Hubcentric. They may be hubcentric to the hub of the car, but there is no lip on them to be hubcentric to the wheel.

Mike

adrift

Reaction score
AUTOBAHN said:
No, They're not true Hubcentric. They may be hubcentric to the hub of the car, but there is no lip on them to be hubcentric to the wheel.

Mike

Crazy. I was just looking into spacers again. So would the H&R Trak Hubcentric's at American Muscle be the better way to go? http://www.americanmuscle.com/h-r-spacers-25mm.html

They're more than double the price of those listed by 1stof3 which sucks, but if they're safer...

OP
OP
W

WarHorse

Reaction score
do you guys think i should go with a 1" spacer on a 2003 cobra wheel with a 255 tire? or a 1.25"

Keep in mind i dont want my tires to stick out, i want them flush with the top of the wheel well.

LI98GT

Reaction score
Don't know if I can answer your question fully as I don't have 255s, I have 270/40s on 03 Cobras. Here's how it looks with 1.25" adapters and my configuration. I used these with my stock 17x8s and just carried them over with the Cobras, but IMO, 1" would be more "flush" and not stick out as much.

mystang_no_isos_and_licLarge.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FHCee

Members online