Wheels & Tires questions

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been beat to shit already, but I'd like to think that everybody's car and its looks are "somewhat" unique so here it goes...

My '95 Cobra is black with a black leather interior. The wheels are black. So, it's got the whole blacked out look going, which I'm pretty burned out on seeing it everywhere for a while now.

I have 17x9 wheels with 255/45's in front and 275/40's in the back. All the wheel/tire sets that I'm looking at on LMR come with 265/35x18 fronts and 285/35x18 rears. OK, that's the background info. Here are the questions:

1. If I stay with the current tires I have and just replace the wheels for a new/different look, should I also stay with 17x9's all the way around or 17x9 in the front and 17x10 (or 10.5?) in the rear? Will my 275/40's fit on a 10 or 10.5 wheel? It's obviously more affordable to just replace the wheels ($600 +/-) than get the wheel/tires set for $1500-$1800.

2. Do I "need" that smaller shock on the back? If I remove it, will I suffer any significant handling loss even with my Eibach Pro Plus suspension and recently installed new upper (MM) and lower control arms (MM Sport Series)? If I don't need it and it plays no significant role in the handling, can I fit wider, inset wheels and wider tires?

And last (but not least) question.... and this is an aesthetic question: I am drawn most to the SVE NVX wheel. I like how it's concave and I like the 5-spoke design and sharp lines. I'm leaning hard toward the Bronze wheel with the Anthracite 2nd and Silver 3rd choice. Keeping mind I have a black/black car, what to you all think? Bronze? Anthracite? Silver?

As always, I appreciate all your opinions and input both on the technical and the aesthetic side. Thanks also for enduring my long-windedness!!
Cheers!

Lonnie2

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been beat to shit already, but I'd like to think that everybody's car and its looks are "somewhat" unique so here it goes...

My '95 Cobra is black with a black leather interior. The wheels are black. So, it's got the whole blacked out look going, which I'm pretty burned out on seeing it everywhere for a while now.

I have 17x9 wheels with 255/45's in front and 275/40's in the back. All the wheel/tire sets that I'm looking at on LMR come with 265/35x18 fronts and 285/35x18 rears. OK, that's the background info. Here are the questions:

1. If I stay with the current tires I have and just replace the wheels for a new/different look, should I also stay with 17x9's all the way around or 17x9 in the front and 17x10 (or 10.5?) in the rear? Will my 275/40's fit on a 10 or 10.5 wheel? It's obviously more affordable to just replace the wheels ($600 +/-) than get the wheel/tires set for $1500-$1800.

2. Do I "need" that smaller shock on the back? If I remove it, will I suffer any significant handling loss even with my Eibach Pro Plus suspension and recently installed new upper (MM) and lower control arms (MM Sport Series)? If I don't need it and it plays no significant role in the handling, can I fit wider, inset wheels and wider tires?

And last (but not least) question.... and this is an aesthetic question: I am drawn most to the SVE NVX wheel. I like how it's concave and I like the 5-spoke design and sharp lines. I'm leaning hard toward the Bronze wheel with the Anthracite 2nd and Silver 3rd choice. Keeping mind I have a black/black car, what to you all think? Bronze? Anthracite? Silver?

As always, I appreciate all your opinions and input both on the technical and the aesthetic side. Thanks also for enduring my long-windedness!!
Cheers!

Lonnie2

Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you to just refinish your current wheels a different color to achieve a new look for just a fraction of the cost?

I too am getting tired of seeing blacked out everything.
But hey, I was a kid in the '60s when we had chrome.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you to just refinish your current wheels a different color to achieve a new look for just a fraction of the cost?

I too am getting tired of seeing blacked out everything.
But hey, I was a kid in the '60s when we had chrome.
Actually, I overlooked that as an option. Good call. If I stay with the same size tires I have now, I’ll definitely look into that. Thanks Lonnie!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online