Where did my gas go?!? (long)

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Ok, so my fuel gauge is close to the E so I go get gas at an unfamiliar station. First off, it tells me it doesnt take debit cards, so I run it as a credit because I dont want to go inside. Every time I try to start the pump, it stops. Im thinking, ok, maybe its not in all the way, or I need to reset something, but it keeps doing this. After 10 or so attempts I go inside. They tell me that pump always does this, and the guy comes out to fiddle with it. He ends up having just as much luck with it. When I ask if I should just use a different pump, he insists that we keep trying. The pump is very slow especially since he keeps having to restart it. and a lot of my time is wasted. After over 7 gallons, he then tells me to go to the pump behind me. So I do and get over 5 gallons, adding it up, I usually get 12, but this time over 13! When it stops pumping, gas starts pouring out of my tank! I was so shocked that it didnt pour while it was pumping. Anyway, scared, I put the car in neutral and rolled out of there.

Right now Im pissed. My time was wasted, my money was wasted, and now my car smells like gas. I calculate my fuel economy and get 16mpg, best since the engine swap. Anyway the next day I noticed my fuel guage still read full. I ignored this because I only traveled like 20 miles, and when I filled it up, the needle was past full.

Day 3 and my car still smalls of gas. As I drive home I notice that even though I have only driven 40 miles, my tank is now a little over a half empty. Im thinking thats .15mpg!!! I dont suspect anyone stealing my gas because the car sleeps in a garage, and during the day is parked in broad daylight, in front of several windows, some of which our receptionist would see and notify.

I go home, of course smelling like gas, still. The plastic cover on the tank does have wet gas on it. I wash it off with a towel, and soon there are no spots. I check my engine bay. There is no fuel odor, and the fuel lines and injectors look fine. My husband takes a look at it and notice the seal on the hose that connects the CAI to the valve cover is torn and the hose wont stay in. He tapes up the CAI hole, and the pipe, and now my engine gives off this horrible whistle noise from the valve cover. Though I consider it as bad as nails on a chalkboard, I still got compliments today.

Anyway, so I drive today like that. It still smells a little like gas, but not as powerful. Each time parked, I check the tank, and its dry. And my fuel needle barely moved. (pointing to better fuel economy)

I have no idea whats wrong with my car. If I fill up full again, will the same thing happen? That station sucks and I will never go back again, but I still cant see what could have happened. This has been a TX car all its life, so I dont expect a rusty tank. Is it possible that if you over fill you could burst a seam?

switch96

Reaction score
I suppose that it's possible if your tank had a leak towards the top for all of the gas above the leak to drain quickly (simulating terrible gas mileage) until the fuel level is under said leak.

wytstang

Reaction score
We have 15 gallon tanks but you really have to run them dry before you can actually get 15 to go in. At most I've been able to squeeze 13 gallons in. Also our cars have an anti siphon filler necks, the only way to drain them is by removing the tanks. If a seam split fuel would be every were, literally gallons would have poured out over night or in minutes depending on the size of the split. Just make a mental note of it and keep an eye out next fill up.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
With this scenario and the cars age, could the seal between the filler tube and the tank itself give way, leak and be an issue? She never mentioned whether the trunk was opened during this. Seemed like it smelled like fuel for a while.

GT

wytstang

Reaction score
Those seals normally go bad after the tank has been removed for say a pump swap. Thats the only time I've heard/read that they start to leak. And when they do leak it's normally a big leak, like losing 3/4 of a tank of fuel. It's easy enough to check to see if it's wet with fuel.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
With this scenario and the cars age, could the seal between the filler tube and the tank itself give way, leak and be an issue? She never mentioned whether the trunk was opened during this. Seemed like it smelled like fuel for a while.

GT

Trunk was never open at all during and after this fill up. The area that had the wet spots was on the side where the fuel spilled. I naturally would assume it was wet because of that, but after 2 days wouldnt it be dry from driving and the TX heat? We're looking at a 5-6 gallon loss here, which didnt occur until a day after the fill up.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
wytstang said:
Those seals normally go bad after the tank has been removed for say a pump swap. Thats the only time I've heard/read that they start to leak. And when they do leak it's normally a big leak, like losing 3/4 of a tank of fuel. It's easy enough to check to see if it's wet with fuel.

The fuel pump is original. Ive had this car since 1998, so Im pretty sure nothing fuel related has been removed or changed with the exception of whats in the engine bay. But this is TX and plastic, vinyl, rubber really doesnt age well here. I have a 21yo car that can back me up on this.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
Well, at least your '98 has a lot of UV stable plastics in and on it. You'll never see the "plastic rot" like the rear quarter window seals on the Fox body cars, or my sons '95 Taurus.

GT

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like this :)

LRS-9072A.jpg

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-9072A

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
GDTrumbo said:
Well, at least your '98 has a lot of UV stable plastics in and on it. You'll never see the "plastic rot" like the rear quarter window seals on the Fox body cars, or my sons '95 Taurus.

GT

Its a 94, I only got it in 98... ...and anything rubber plastic, or vinyl on my 88 BMW needs to be replaced

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
OOps. Wasn't thinking. You still have a lot of UV stable plastics that manufacturers didn't have earlier.

GT

El_Diablo

Reaction score
sounds like you also have a vacuum leak...... which explains the car being down on power and "whistling"

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Win said:
El_Diablo said:
sounds like you also have a vacuum leak...... which explains the car being down on power and "whistling"

Well I got the part shown, but the ford parts place didnt have the grommet for the tube so I'll hafta see if some autopart store has something that will work.

Despite not leaking at all, when I arrived home I checked again and there was a very small leak. I also notice that one of the bolts was missing, is this tank solid, or held together with bolts?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
The tank is a solid piece. It has a rubber surround on the bottom that just lays up there held up by the tank straps. The bolt that is missing could be causing the tank to lean more and causing your gas to slosh around and get out the filler neck gromit.

Call around Ford still makes the gromit for our cars. If not just keep the tank below half and order a gromit and throw it in when you get it.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Win said:
Call around Ford still makes the gromit for our cars. If not just keep the tank below half and order a gromit and throw it in when you get it.
MyLittlePony said:
Well I got the part shown

The old grommet was indeed all chewed up. Im guessing when it over filled, the pressure made it worse, and after losing almost all my gas, it would only leak when I made hard fast turns on my way home. I still blame the station for my issue though. Thankfully it only cost me the part and 3/4ths of a tank of gas. I cant even imagine if I had to hire someone to fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online