Which strut tower brace route should I go?

Discussion in 'Suspension and Brakes' started by PinkieT, May 14, 2018.

1. PinkieT

PinkieT Well-Known Member

I have a 98 ragtop. It did not come with the threaded holes for the strut brace from the factory like earlier cars. I got a $160 Kenny Brown KB-29501 strut tower brace cheap in a parts deal. It’s an 03-04 cobra brace built to fit around the blower. It requires a raised cowl hood like the factory Cobras. On the good side, it slips under the camber plates so requires no drilling of the strut towers. On the bad side, I would have to have the cross bar cut and re-welded lower in order to clear my hood. My alternative is to pick up a factory or aftermarket brace that fits a 98 GT and drill the crap out of the strut towers for mounting bolts. I did that on my wife's car before I put on the lowering springs and I know it is a really tight fit trying to put a nut on a through-bolt around the spring then. I was thinking of Marson threaded inserts, but wonder if they are strong enough and is spending $100 on a kit worth it vs. just standard old nuts, bolts, and washers.

Gotta decide which direction to go. Any opinions?

2. OLD H2S

OLD H2S Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

Cut and reweld, you already know the results from the other way.

3. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

I would probably try to trade the one you have for a stock one and some $$$. Probably not too hard to find and come out ahead with.

4. PinkieT

One opinion one direction, one another. Any more input???

5. SnakeBit!

SnakeBit! Well-Known Member

cut and weld.

6. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

cut and weld = time into drilling and tapping the holes and to weld it make it into basically a stock brace.
    trade = Money in your pocket and other then making the holes, it is ready to bolt in. Yes it might take a little while to find a trade or to sell/buy but if it saved me time cutting/welding as much as I love my welder I would trade.

7. PinkieT

Local Craigslist ad has a Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace, brand new with hardware, for $75. That is at least half price, and it looks like they don't make them any more. I like the design, and if I can get it for half price, might get the drill out and flip the Kenny Brown. Of course, tomorrow I may change my mind...

8. 96blak54

96blak54 Well-Known Member

I got a stock 96 strut brace. It doesnt do me any good. My engine is to big. If you can use it and can find a 95 brace, ill swap you.