whippy

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] Question for you dude. I got my bumper sprayed, wing and mirrors about 3 weeks ago. I compounded, polished and waxed the shit outta all of it after the shop wetsanded it. I just realized today that on the sides and front of the bumper you can still see the wetsanding marks and the sides look hazed. Maybe i didn't use an aggressive enough compound? My buddy has some compound that he used on my wing and it took most of them out. Should i try the more aggressive compound on the bumper?
80250257-4D41-4BB2-BF8B-76739182C16D-14650-00000DCC3CCE6FD3_zpsd5d7e131.jpg

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You might have to do more wetsanding with a finer paper.

Compound can only do so much.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What grit paper did you use? Also with the paint being 3 weeks old it's pretty hard now and you're gonna have to really lay into it to get that haze gone.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
What grit paper did you use? Also with the paint being 3 weeks old it's pretty hard now and you're gonna have to really lay into it to get that haze gone.

The body shop did if, 1500 grit. I got an orbit buffer so that should help.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright let me ask this before I forget, why the hell are you touching it? You payed a shop to spray it you shouldn't have to do shit besides enjoy your smile in the reflection...

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Alright let me ask this before I forget, why the hell are you touching it? You payed a shop to spray it you shouldn't have to do shit besides enjoy your smile in the reflection...

Thanks dude. I'm doing it because I paid $200 to have all the shit sprayed, I went back they wetsanded and the guy said I could compound, polish and wax it myself. I didn't mind then but after I originally compounded, polished & waxed the parts they came out really good no hazing. Now today I see the hazing. The body shop owner knows my parents, didn't wanna take anything for doing the work. The parts came out pretty good, but you can see spots where there's dirt underneath on the spoiler and bumper, and some spots where it looks like the paint didn't sit right. Can't really complain for $200.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Getting out 1500 scratches is gonna take a 5gal bucket of compound and 17hrs. Get some 2500 or 3000 and wetsand it (a lot, you'll have to cut through all the compound you just put on) and buff it back out. Polishing is gonna take some muscle like I said before because at 3 weeks old that paint is cock solid now. Don't wax it for 3 months either, by the way.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Getting out 1500 scratches is gonna take a 5gal bucket of compound and 17hrs. Get some 2500 or 3000 and wetsand it (a lot, you'll have to cut through all the compound you just put on) and buff it back out. Polishing is gonna take some muscle like I said before because at 3 weeks old that paint is cock solid now. Don't wax it for 3 months either, by the way.

****. Those mother****ers told me, yeah just compound it and polish it'll look like glass.. I did that, it looked fine. Now its hazing and i still see the wetsand marks. I'll have to see when I can get to vatozone and get some sandpaper. Yeah i busted my ass doing it the first time, 2nd time should be even more fun -____- I'll just do the 2500 or 3000 grit, than compound than polish. Thanks man, hopefully it ain't too cold tomorrow so I could give it a shot.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the colder it is the harder it's gonna be, too. Hate to burst that little bubble, but you'll be fine.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah the colder it is the harder it's gonna be, too. Hate to burst that little bubble, but you'll be fine.

Yeah i bet lol, and the fact that I can only do it outside, winning.. lol. Should work out. Those guys gave me like 5 sheets of 1500 grit wetordry after I asked them about myself wetsanding other shit. And they gave me that small thing block thing that you put inside the sandpaper to keep it flat and squeegee the crap off. I'll get the 3000 grit if I can, I'm gonna ask my buddy for his compound and try that out, than hit it with a stage 2 polish like last time. Thanks again bud, ill let ya know how it turns out

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah you've got it down, that's what I'd do if you brought the car to me and asked me to fix it. Yeah post up when it's done too.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
*sigh*

This is why I told you to leave it right when you got the parts back from the shop.
They're idiots for telling you to try and make it shiny yourself. When I got my rear quarter panel re-sprayed I didn't touch it for a whole month and it still looks brand new.

Good luck with getting it back to being shiny. It's going to take quiet some time lol

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
*sigh*

This is why I told you to leave it right when you got the parts back from the shop.
They're idiots for telling you to try and make it shiny yourself. When I got my rear quarter panel re-sprayed I didn't touch it for a whole month and it still looks brand new.

Good luck with getting it back to being shiny. It's going to take quiet some time lol

What did I know lol, they're the body guys. And i really wish they would've just polished everything themselves but what ever lol. I couldn't complain, $200 for all the parts. I've never wetsanded or tried to go over fresh paint and get out wetsanding marks. This was the first time. My buddy does detailing like I do, gonna have him give me a hand fixing this. I do agree that it was obviously wrong if i see the marks still.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
:happy1:

EDIT: wait...thought this was a "road rage" thread :p

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I see a thread with my name in it I think it's a road rage thread.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 4S

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
good advice there whipy whiperson :)

hey the5.ohh can i ask ya a couple ??'s

1) are you sure that you haven't burnt through the clear already man? on the edge in that pic i see light grey. hope its just compound build up lol.
2) when you said you brought it from a haze to a shine before...were the sanding scratches visible then? or are they only showing now cause of the haze?

i ask because if you can get away with just repolishing rather then wetsanding then ya should simply because you dont know without the right kind of meter how thick your clear coat is. easy as HELL to sand right through clear on edges!!

the pic seriously just looks like you didn't buff and polish it out enough. the wax shined it but then wore off showing the haze again. before you waxed it, it should have looked like glass already from buff and polish.

also the pic doesn't look like it was left at 1500 gritt lol. maybe it was but just looks a tad more smoother than what a 1500 would look like.

where i'm wondering if you burnt through the clear and maybe even paint is here:

or i that compound build up????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online