OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
null_zps8e5932db.jpg

Anyone notice the table of Ferrari engine parts? I didn't think so..

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
look at you using big words like cam phaser. ;) lol.

well im glad you're digging into it! Sucks that it took out a whole cam tho.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Keep it up on the mods man . hate the wheels though lol those new roush stage 3 boss 302 with the chrome roush wheels oooosh would look amazing on that car ! Nice work though !

99GreenStang

Reaction score
She hates chrome, you're even then!
Think about this LOL just stay with me here . Your stuck on the side of the road in the dark or you run off the road and wreck whatever either one and you have black wheels ( I mean come on ..) no one is gonna see you !! BUT !! BUT ! FEAR NOT! if you buy chrome wheels ( the prettier shiny ones) people are gonna say oh hey look at that guy with those awesome wheels and stop and help ! So in technicality CHROME WILL GET YOU HOME ! :)

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
So THIS is what you've been doing all this time NOLA huh?? First time I've seen a 3v without covers on it... Any ideas on what you guys are gonna do about the lifter issue? TFS heads???? :)

Wichers123

Reaction score
Every 3k, religiously. She turned 56k miles today.
What oil? Also it could also just be a bad spot in the metal that just gave up. At Toyota we see issues like this when people just don't change the oil, parts coke up and stop doing their job. If your changing regularly then I would say lash adjuster just couldn't pump up and excessive clearance ate the cam.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Wichers123 said:
What oil?

I've used Motorcraft 5w20 syn. blend and a FL820s filter since day #1 with no issues and the used oil still has a some transparency when discarded. Not clean, it is used oil but not burnt looking like our 190k miles Z71.

Wichers123 said:
If your changing regularly then I would say lash adjuster just couldn't pump up and excessive clearance ate the cam.

That sounds like what happened. The single lifter that failed wasn't oiling the follower and it seized. Apparently, this is a very common issue with 4.6/5.4 3V's. It happened regularly enough that Ford put out a TSB on certain 2005 models. The needle bearings in the followers have a 'glass jaw' so-to-speak.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
So THIS is what you've been doing all this time NOLA huh?? First time I've seen a 3v without covers on it... Any ideas on what you guys are gonna do about the lifter issue? TFS heads???? :)

Perhaps down the line but we're gonna swap the stock cams for some Hot Rod cams. They're only 1mm over stock in terms of lift, but the duration is longer for that juicy, lopey idle some of us crave. My wife heard our friend's GT [with these cams] back in March and has wanted them ever since. Hubby delivers!

Wichers123

Reaction score
I've used Motorcraft 5w20 syn. blend and a FL820s filter since day #1 with no issues and the used oil still has a some transparency when discarded. Not clean, it is used oil but not burnt looking like our 190k miles Z71.

That sounds like what happened. The single lifter that failed wasn't oiling the follower and it seized. Apparently, this is a very common issue with 4.6/5.4 3V's. It happened regularly enough that Ford put out a TSB on certain 2005 models. The needle bearings in the followers have a 'glass jaw' so-to-speak.
Oh okay we don't see it too commonly, we have vvt lock problems. When the car shuts down the cam should lose oil pressure causing the cam gear to slide in the full retard position, then as the car starts oil pressure builds up and the cam gear gets pulled to full advanced and locks but the locks get stuck closed and they rattle their asses off till vvt command goes into full adjustment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online