Why do you like the 4.6L?

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
I see your point lol. To the OP just stick with a 4.6 if you want simplicity man

Lee12609

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
I see your point lol. To the OP just stick with a 4.6 if you want simplicity man

well, i think the OP is saying "why do you like the 4.6L" compared to the 5.0L pushrod motor (or thats what i was thinking). i dont know many people that given the chance to go from a 4.6 to a 5.4 for nothing that would say no.

OP
OP
L

Lilkicker

Reaction score
I like the 4.6L! I never owned a 5.0L or a 5.4L, so I can't compare. I will have some money soon to upgrade, but I just want to be sure the 4.6L is worth my time. It's only a 281ci motor. How much power can you get from it compared to a big block?

adrift

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
just an fyi this will not be a 5.0/4.6 bashing

Do we have any good threads that are? I always like to see a good internet fight.

I'm teasing. I'm teasing.

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
Woooooow someone got a little offended with the little engine comment. Congrats you win the internet bench racing! Take a joke man. and btw a more realistic comparison is a stock gt500 engine vs a stock 03 cobra engine.

No, no offense at all. I enjoy having an intelligent debate with someone.

How is a GT500 engine vs a stock 03 Cobra engine a better comparison? They have different heads, cams, intakes, superchargers, and amounts of boost. How is that a good comparison?

My comparison was two motors with the same heads, cams, and similar intake setup. I didn't specify, but the car I was thinking of has the Tork Tech manifold with a stock Lightning supercharger on it. Two vehicles, with same/similar everything, except the displacement. Doesn't get much better for comparison.

1996mustangGT said:
And for the truck statement...thats with a shitty truck manifold. a n/a 5.4 with a comparible intake (hps hardball`r) would run all over a stock 2v pi engine. Is the fact that more cubic inches makes more power that hard to understand lol? not trying to be nor sound like a smart butt but its just simple physics man. if you want me to pull formula`s i can

I know the physics behind it. And you are almost correct. More cubic inches may make more power at a certain rpm. That's what's being left out of the equation here: rpm. Will the 5.4 make more power at 2000 rpm? Yes. Will it make more power at 4000 rpm? Yes. Will it make more power at 5000+ rpm? Not necessarily. 6000+? Probably not. Even a supercharged Lightning begins to run out of breath by about 5500 rpm. You can't turn a bigger motor as fast as you can a small one. That is simple physics. And if you have two motors with identical torque curves, but one of them makes it at a higher rpm, that one will win in a race every time. That is a fact.

We are trying to compare stock to stock (or identical setups minus displacement), and you're already talking about aftermarket intakes. Put a regular PI intake on it, and I'll bet that the 5.4 makes more power up to 4500, and the 4.6 makes more from then on. And where do you spend most of the time at during a race? Yea, 4000ish rpm and up.

Lee12609 said:
is anybody really arguing that a 4.6 2v will make as much or more power than a 5.4 2v?? all else the same the larger motor will ALWAYS make more power. the 5.4 manifold design and tune are what determine its powerband, put equal intakes and spot on tunes and the 5.4 will ALWAYS make more power, no if ands or butts about it.......

See above.

Lee12609 said:
1996mustangGT said:

well, i think the OP is saying "why do you like the 4.6L" compared to the 5.0L pushrod motor (or thats what i was thinking). i dont know many people that given the chance to go from a 4.6 to a 5.4 for nothing that would say no.

Oh and the big curve ball is thrown in. "for nothing?" Well yea, if I could have a LS7 for free, I would put one in my car, even though it is a GM product. For the amount of money it would take to make a 2v 5.4 go fast, I could have a nasty Trickflow setup, or 4v setup, or blower setup, or something with way more potential than a low revving 5.4 2v.

Lee12609

Reaction score
Wow you act like the 5.4 is a 500ci motor with heavy rods/pistons/valvetrain. Like I said powerband is determined by a lot of things Ford tunes the truck motors to have a lot of torque down low because who revs a truck past 4000 rpm... honestly a sbc 305 should be a lot faster than a sbc 350 since the big 350 can't Rev as high.

You already lost the argument.....

Hey everybody quit boring and stroking it will make you slower!

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
dude im not arguing the 4.6 revs faster...hence why im a fan of the 289 vs the 302. anyways moving on...sorry to sound a little pissed on my above post`s, i definately came off as sounding like a butthead.

Lee12609

Reaction score
I'm not arguing with you I'm siding with you....

MORE CI. = MORE POWA

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Lee12609 said:
Wow you act like the 5.4 is a 500ci motor with heavy rods/pistons/valvetrain. Like I said powerband is determined by a lot of things Ford tunes the truck motors to have a lot of torque down low because who revs a truck past 4000 rpm... honestly a sbc 305 should be a lot faster than a sbc 350 since the big 350 can't Rev as high.

You already lost the argument.....

Hey everybody quit boring and stroking it will make you slower!

Compared to a 4.6, the 5.4 does have quite a bit more rotating mass and pretty good bit more stroke, a little more than half an inch, IIRC, and that's a lot in motor terms. And it's not entirely that it's a heavier rotating mass and longer stroke, but also that the heads, cams, and intake don't flow enough in stock form to benefit from the added cubes.

And also, IIRC, the 350 has both a longer stroke, and a larger bore. Apples to oranges here...

Equal heads, cams, and intake, the 5.4 will run out of breath WAY before the 4.6, probably close to 1000 rpm before. For as long as I've been around cars, I've ALWAYS been taught that you make power with the top end of the motor (heads, cam(s), intake), not with the bottom end. And while at the same time I've been around the "no replacement for displacement" crowd, the guys that tell me that won't skip a beat saying that the better H/C/I setup will win a race, every time. Displacement isn't everything, as a lot of people like to think it is. I'd still love to see a 4.6 and 5.4 side by side, all other things equal.

I never said that boring and stroking will always make you slower, but until I see evidence otherwise, that's the assumption I'm going to make about the 5.4. I can't count the number of very car-knowledgeable people I've heard say that the 5.4 is a waste of time and money. A member on another board I'm on poured tons of money into a 5.4 build: heads, cams, intake, etc, etc, and got like an 8.4 in the 1/8 out of it. I know guys with bolt on/geared 4.6 2 valves that do that all day long. And like I already said, until I see otherwise, that's what I'm going to assume is the limit of them. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm honestly ready to see the results of 1996mustangGT's build; I've been keeping an eye on it for several months now. Maybe he'll disprove me. And if he does, then that's great. It'll be a revelation to the 4.6 crowd out there, and it'll probably change some minds. But no one has really done it yet, and till someone does, I'll keep my current opinion.

Lost the argument? No, I think I got that under wraps in my first response to 1996mustangGT. Y'all say that there is "no replacement for displacement". I'm making more power than a lot of cars with much larger motors than mine. Therefore, I have proved that there IS a replacement for displacement.

1996mustangGT said:
dude im not arguing the 4.6 revs faster...hence why im a fan of the 289 vs the 302. anyways moving on...sorry to sound a little pissed on my above post`s, i definately came off as sounding like a butthead.

:eek:ccasion14: Yea, same here. I have probably come off as caring more about this than I really do. I just really love to ruffle the feathers of the "no replacement for displacement" crowd sometimes. Different motors all trying to get the same thing accomplished: go fast. And we ALL have a good time doing it, regardless of how we go about doing it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oh, the punnage. I'm sorry; I couldn't help myself. :laughing4:

Whistler98

Reaction score
I love the 4.6l or all the mod motors for that matter they are for the most part extremely reliable motors. If you guys saw what I do to my cruiser at work. The motor goes from a cold start to wide open throttle and then idles for sometimes the next 8hrs with short hard runs here and there. The crown vic never complains it just keeps on running lol some of are vics run for all 3 shifts. and when we are done with them they go to smaller departments or ppl make taxis out of them and keep them going.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Sneaky has a point.

However - all a positive displacement blower (or any other power adder) does is add 'effective dislacement'. The saying itself stands, however there are deffinately different methods to effectively raise your displacement/force more air in without haveing a bigger engine per se.

Lee12609

Reaction score
Yes but put the same PD blower on a bigger engine and you will still have an engine with more power potential so the saying still applies. No replacement for displacement.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I like it because after 140k, my 4V now has a knocking noise in the bottom end.

ftl. lol

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
badass98svt said:
I like it because after 140k, my 4V now has a knocking noise in the bottom end.

ftl. lol
Just saw that thread man :( sorry to hear about that...hope everything works out well

badass98svt

Reaction score
It will, I'll be puting it in the shop next week most likely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online