Why don't I see more 4.6 Cobra motor swaps?

Bouncer88

Reaction score
It just seems that for the price you would see more S/C 4.6 Cobra motors in our cars, but how come people just keep putting tons of money into the stock motors instead of swapping in the ones out of the cobras.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
thats because the $ factor, it cost about 5-10k depending new or used for stock 03/04 cobra motor, then you need to swap out almost everything thats diff from 03 cobra, to much work and money for the swap alot just rebuild stock motor or slap a power adder on there car and call it day!

OP
OP
B

Bouncer88

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
thats because the $ factor, it cost about 5-10k depending new or used for stock 03/04 cobra motor, then you need to swap out almost everything thats diff from 03 cobra, to much work and money for the swap alot just rebuild stock motor or slap a power adder on there car and call it day!

I could have the swap done in my V6 for less than 6000 , rear end (8.8 junkyard special), wiring harness and pretty much everything you'd need. throw a pulley on it, open the exhaust and the intake and a tune and see over 430 rwhp for 6500-7000 with the ability to throw far more power than that into the engine easily.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
thats way to cheap the stock 03-04 cobra crate motor is $9,500 from ford racing or the shelby gt500 crate engine is $14,990,now motor mounts, pulleys, k memember .ect everything needed for the swap, + labor if you pay some 1 to do it all+ tune, and if you need a new engine harness / transmission etc.

OP
OP
B

Bouncer88

Reaction score
95gtjeff said:
thats way to cheap the stock 03-04 cobra crate motor is $9,500 from ford racing or the shelby gt500 crate engine is $14,990,now motor mounts, pulleys, k memember .ect everything needed for the swap, + labor if you pay some 1 to do it all+ tune, and if you need a new engine harness / transmission etc.

I didn't say buy it new, and I did make a mistake, I did not mean to include the transmission in that. There is a guy in Worcester, MA about 20 minutes from where I live with two motors with ecu and wiring harness selling them each for 4000, thats with accessories (powersteering , etc. , etc.) but if you look around you can get it done for far less than you guys are making it out to be. I am new to the SN95 as I said in my first post here so I am taking what you are all saying into consideration as you know more but I mean I do not see why everyone says the cost is too much for what you get.

Oh and labor is no issues, I would be doing the work myself.

Oh and another thing, why don't people swap in the cobra motors of the same year for less? That seems to be well worth the money versus upgrading the 2v, I don't know I guess I just don't see the potential of the 2v.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
I WOULD MUCH rather you be right than the rest of us

the thought of affordable termy power in a snive makes it hard for me to walk, if you know what i mean

OP
OP
B

Bouncer88

Reaction score
RICK FOCKS said:
I WOULD MUCH rather you be right than the rest of us

the thought of affordable termy power in a snive makes it hard for me to walk, if you know what i mean

haha I do know what you are saying, maybe I am just underestimating this project and underestimating what it would cost with little odds and ends, I guess I will just go with the super coupe m90 swap in my car.

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
perhaps

there's a member by the name of wldtang...one ROTM...has a termy swap clean enough to each fish off of...THAT'S CLEAN!!! check it out!

hottwheels04

Reaction score
ive seen what guys do in foxes and sn95's to do termi swaps and they all have easily 10-30k+ into the build, not every 1 has 10-30 k to drop in 10-30 year old cars lol, so the alternative is do h/c/i or bolt ons, or rebuild ur stock motor, or buy a prebuild 5k motor, now like i said see your doing the labor urself that savesa big chunk, doing a termi swap labor if some 1was doing it for you, would easily be like 5-10k of labor, now add in the transmission and all little things that add up, +that 4,000 u said you found a used 1 for , thats easily 9-20k for everything. and thats going cheap route like your wanting to do, now buy new add that extra 5k along to that total you easily have 10-20+k right there, which = worth more than are cars, not every 1 spends that kind of coin on there cars!

Jetsetter

Reaction score
I know this will be covered in other posts, but in a nutshell, what is limiting our motors? How much would you have to spend on a rebuild to come up with a comperable motor in terms of internals?

I missed up the opportunity to buy a flipped 97 Cobra with a running motor for 1000 dollars. I'm still kicking myself. Just thought I'd throw that bit in there.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
Jetsetter said:
I know this will be covered in other posts, but in a nutshell, what is limiting our motors? How much would you have to spend on a rebuild to come up with a comperable motor in terms of internals?

I missed up the opportunity to buy a flipped 97 Cobra with a running motor for 1000 dollars. I'm still kicking myself. Just thought I'd throw that bit in there.

I hear you man, I myself would love a 03 / cobra motor into a fox or sn95, if you get the oppurtunity cheap and you can do the work yourself thats a sick buildup! i love when guys do termi swaps, just I dont have tools or time I would have to pay for labor and my car is a pushrod car, with all labor and parts I could buy 2 of my cars + a termi, so its not cost effective or a budget build in any means lol esp without deals or buying new / paying labor, because I would need all the termi parts / full motor, k memeber, transmission, wireing harness etc. so you wont see many of theses, people rather just go buy a termi its self, but over on svtp, theres a few guys selling theres in sn95's cars . foxbodys / a few 96-98 cobras with 03 motors, and they all list mods and money into there cars they all have big $ like 10-30+k into them and cant get more than like 7-15k for the cars tops, so its not cost effective @ all so you will see few but I love the idea :thumbsup:

rick focks

Post Whore
Reaction score
Jetsetter said:

what motor do you have 4.6 or 5.0?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon