Will an SCT iTsx work with a 96 SVT Cobra?

Spiney

Reaction score
I want to use a SCT iTsx tuner with my iPad or iPhone 5 and my 96 SVT Cobra. My concern is because the 96 has a mechanical speedo I wasn't sure if the performance tests would work, IE: 0-60, 1/4 mile etc. I called SCT a few months ago they said yes. Vim ready to pull the plug so I called on Friday to make sure, the tech told me the iTsx won't flash my ECM and I should buy the basic hand held tuner. Has anyone used the iTsx with a 96 Mustang? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

BigBore96

Reaction score
The guy you talked to is stupid. It will work. But honestly is not the way to go. They are more expensive than a handheld. Still need a custom tune to work at optimum (which youll pay extra for and wont do yourself), and if you decide youd like to change vehicles away from a 96 to 98 cobra you have to pay to unlock another "pill" so to speak. Other 96 cobras it would work, but you wouldnt be able to use it on a 03 cobra without paying more money.

If you are wanting something to give you bs 1/4 mile. 0 to 60 etc. Get one of the apps that do it that link to a bluetooth plug in device. But the

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
The guy you talked to is stupid. It will work. But honestly is not the way to go. They are more expensive than a handheld. Still need a custom tune to work at optimum (which youll pay extra for and wont do yourself), and if you decide youd like to change vehicles away from a 96 to 98 cobra you have to pay to unlock another "pill" so to speak. Other 96 cobras it would work, but you wouldnt be able to use it on a 03 cobra without paying more money.

If you are wanting something to give you bs 1/4 mile. 0 to 60 etc. Get one of the apps that do it that link to a bluetooth plug in device. But the

Can you explain more on the Apps that will give me performance results?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Spiney,

We will be closing this area as soon as I'm done shoveling all the threads into their new homes :)

So, I'll move your's to a better location to get more eyes to see it!

Welcome to the site. :-D

Also, I had the SCT Livewire in my 96 GT and everything (speedo-wise) worked fine.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Can you explain more on the Apps that will give me performance results?

Sure, though like I said they are crap. And buying a ITSX for the purpose is a huge huge waste of money.

http://hemorrdroids.net/torque-obdii-bluetooth-unit/

But to clarify, the mechanical speedo is jsut a gear in the tranny. NOTHING to do with those performance tests. Those tests use G sensors and gps tracking generally. Mechanical speedo doesnt matter. But, the only part that is relevant for handheld tuners of any kind is they cannot change teh gear ratio/tire size of a mechanical speedo car.

Your best bet if you want to know what the car does, is take it to the track.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Btw if your looking for ease of use. the Itsx is not the way to go. Loading tunes to and from the car takes longer and is more annoying to deal with.

Just get the handheld and be done with it

OP
OP
S

Spiney

Reaction score
Much belated response, but thanks for all the replies. I bought the SCT FS3 XT Handheld from AM BAMA. Glad I saw the last 2 posts. I hadn't used it yet and talked to AM at the show about exchanging for the XSTI. But I'll put the extra $100 towards suspension upgrades. I can test until October at Maple Grove Raceway. Already got my baselines with using the Superchip on board.
Best run was 14.24, but I'm still gaining seat experience.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Much belated response, but thanks for all the replies. I bought the SCT FS3 XT Handheld from AM BAMA. Glad I saw the last 2 posts. I hadn't used it yet and talked to AM at the show about exchanging for the XSTI. But I'll put the extra $100 towards suspension upgrades. I can test until October at Maple Grove Raceway. Already got my baselines with using the Superchip on board.
Best run was 14.24, but I'm still gaining seat experience.

I am glad you listened to us. The iTSX would work. But the SF3 for ease of use is the way to go. I run the Livewire TS in my 96 cobra.
You talked to BAMA at the show? Do you remember what the guy looked like? There was only 3 of them there. I was one of them lol.
But yea I would stick with what you have and put that money into suspension mods man. So good idea and hopefully youll like it. It really made the power curve on my car very linear.
Of course we have been doing some fiddling with my car as well..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online