Window Regulator Bolts

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Vettn71, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Vettn71

Vettn71 Member

My 95 GT has a bad regulator, but I can't get it out. It's supposed to have rivets, but seems to have a screw and nut. The nut is a half round type thing and the screw (from the inside so I can't see it) seems to have a crows foot type head. The nuts are super hard. Thought I'd just grind the nut off, but no way. Any help would be appreciated

jim

2. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I just took my windows out of my 94 and can confirm they are supposed to be rivits(and a ***** to get out). Can you get a pic of it? Almost sounds like a Riv-nut.

3. Vettn71

Vettn71 Member

Well, they are rivets. Never seen anything like them. Look like rivnuts or something. Took a punch and knocked out the centers, then drilled the heads off. I bought a rivet gun that handles those type rivets from Harbor Freight for $15 ( on sale). Course, my regulator is crapped out, but I found one on the bay for $49. If it lasts a couple years I'll be happy. Thanks for the help

jim

4. ttocs

ttocs Legend

by the sound of it you should have been able to take the screw out, and then put it back in. Was there something stopping you? I actually just bought a threaded rivet gun as well as just removed my window and been wondering if I would us it on the install.