Reattaching a separated convertible rear window panel

GTamas

Reaction score
The rear window of my 94 Convertible started to separate from the rest of the top. The same happened a few months ago, then I re-stapled them, but I think I used to sort staples because it started to come apart again.
I will post here since pubs and description how I (try to) fix it, maybe it will be useful for someone.

Unfortunately I have very little time lately to work on the car, so it will take several days to finish... But I think I could do all of it in one day if I had a free day...

The window looked lik this before I started:
20230722_195910.jpg

Here is a nice video which I followed, but there might be some differences. For example there are 3 screws on each side holding the metal trim on my car, not just one as shown in the video.
Here are the front two:
20230724_223837.jpg
I didn't remove the interior panels completely because I was lazy. You only need to dislodge it enough to put a screwdriver under it. There are two cuts in the metal which help to place the screwdriver square with the screw heads.

A note on the dislodging of the panels: you still need to remove the back seat and pop the plastic pins of the panel to move it. There is also a screw fixing the panel from the back side of it near the top. You can reach it (easier) if you drop the top.
20230724_223759.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Once the lower tackstrips have been unscrewed from the trunk area (twelvepoint 13mm nuts, very uncomfortable to reach them) and removed from the studs, I got a better view on the problem area:
20230724_223741.jpg
The staples came lose from the tackstrip. I think I used too short staples. I used 6mm ones because this is what I found in it when I first fixed it, but the top was not original, so I think it was installed with wing staples also back then.
I found a staple somewhere in the strip that seems to be probably the oem type:
20230724_231957.jpg
It is shaped like a blade, and the advantage of it is that the two legs bow in opposite directions when shot to the tack strip, so they hold very well. I couldn't find such staples to buy in stainless steel, so now I will use 10mm stainless steel staples. It's important to use stainless steel, otherwise you will have trust issues.

So then I removed on the bottom the staples which hold the outer flap of the top to the strip, so I can fold it up to reveal the window vinyl material completely:
20230724_224824.jpg
I put two carton boxes under the glass to support it. Then I removed all the staples that (still) hold the window to the top rail strip.
20230724_231351.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Next will be to start stapling back the window with the longer staples. I still did not decide yet to keep the original tackstrip or to replace it.

Before starting to shoot the staples, be sure to close the top latches on the A pillar. First time I forgot to do it and ended up fixing the window panel too tight. I even tore a textil when I do just closed the top. Luckily this textil is only a cushion between staples and the top layer, serving to protect the top layer. I will use some sort of other fabric instead.
20230724_223639.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
If you are just reattaching the existing parts, it's not difficult. Installing a new window could be a bit more complicated due to having to measure correct alignment.
Still I would do it myself. Local upholstery shops are asking hell of a money for such work.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
I finished the top today. I kept the old tack strips.
With staples I think more is better here. 10mm staples fit well. I hope they will last... I will update the thread of they don't. Try to aim the staples on the middle of the strip, otherwise they get smashed on the edge.
20230729_140253.jpg
Don't put staples on the marked part. There are multiple layers of fabric there and the back of the staples will be visible through the outer shell of the top at the end.
20230731_001610.jpg

When done stapling, put everything back together in reverse order of disassembly.
20230730_221622.jpg

Note that my window alignment is not perfect, it sits too low and the seams above the glass are not covered by the outer shell. It was installed like this by the PO. I can't raise it because then the holes on the bottom of the fabric would be visible. Probably the isn't enough material left on the bottom either. I would have to buy a new window element, but it doesn't bother me enough to relieve it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online