Wondering if itll be worth it still..

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Well, I debated long and hard about the PI swap and have read many of the reviews and how to's on how to get it done. I have the knowledge and the tools to do the job, and am looking at how much I am to spend for how much hp/tq im to pick up.

First off, I havent heard much about patriot cams. I cant seem to find a video with these cams installed, wondering if anyone knew anything about them?
https://www.patriot-performance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=88&cat=61&page=1
Not sure if I can use my stock cam gears on there, I plan on getting new springs even though I heard you dont have to with those..

I will be getting PI heads somewhere, hopefully cheap..and will try to do a port and polish, along with the PI intake.

I also have all my bolt ons done for the most part, just missing headers, will probably do shorty's since I already have a brand new upr X pipe.

With these modifications I'm hoping to run 8.40's, to lower 8's in the 1/8th, since I run 9.1-9.2's now on street tires. What do you guys think? Will it be done?

Thanks

PS--- Just found this deal, but listened to teh xe262's, and didnt really hear much from them as far as "loping.." coudl be wrong..I know this is a pretty good deal though..--
http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1283/Heads/post/1448789/Ford-4.6-Windsor-P.I.-Heads-w-Comp-Cams-XE262.html
Thanks

OP
OP
T

Tbuck07

Reaction score
I guess I'm not really debating it, figuring Ill spend 1400 bucks for the swap..Im just wanting to know if I'll hit those marks in the 1/8th and whatnot..maybe 12's in the quarter. Saw a video of a cammed gt with bolt ons runnin 12.80s.

I just had questions about those cams as well that I provided in the links

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would go with the hitech or cnc ...a lot of people have been having good results with them

OP
OP
T

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Ya, the patriot cams are 415 dollars a pair..the hitech ones are 599, comp wants 625..Id rather not have to change out the springs but heard the gains are worth it for 200 bucks..

NosLaser

Reaction score
I personally am a bigger fan of doing a complete PI motor swap. You can find them all day long for the $700-$1000 range for good running motors. Granted, you don't get the compression gain of the non-PI shortblock with PI heads, but it opens up two possibilities. One, you can buy a used supercharger kit for under 2 grand and make more power than any ported heads/cam/crazy intake (and for a LOT less money.) And Two, you can keep your non-PI shortblock and put forged internals in it so if you damage your stock PI motor that you swapped in down the line, you'll have a forged shortblock ready too rock n' roll. Or even further, you can do what I mentioned, and buy another set of stock PI heads, get them ported, put nice blower (or turbo) cams in them, and have a full motor waiting to swap in with minimal downtime. Just my $.02.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tbuck07 said:
Ya, the patriot cams are 415 dollars a pair..the hitech ones are 599, comp wants 625..Id rather not have to change out the springs but heard the gains are worth it for 200 bucks..

First of all, ever wonder why that might be? I have no idea what Patriots cores are made of. And there are much better deals on the Comp cams, an Hitecs... Shop around. Hell a PI swap isn't 1400 either.

Marvin97

Reaction score
I could see it costing him $1400 if thats parts and labor for a shop to do the swap.

97GT4.6

Reaction score
I can see this swap EASILY costing 1400 bucks. If you don't do the work yourself, get ripped off on heads, and get custom ground cams, your there.

Get it done though man, you'll love it.

OP
OP
T

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Update::

I got my heads for 270 bucks shipped with 60k miles. My plans are to go with VT stage II cams, upgraded springs, have the heads decked..

I will be doing the work with a few buddies of mine, and will have to get the car tuned, of course. So I'm underway.

I will be changing the timing chain kit as well, as one of my buddies said it would be stupid not to do so, thats another 200 dollars there...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online