Wtf!?

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
Upon gutting the mach 1 the other day I stumbled onto this under the driverside of the dash. Any ideas why its there and what its for?

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
At some point ...Someone had to replace the Ignition setup?...Back when I got my Mustang in 97...Strattec....is a Company in Troy MI that was promoting Chip keys to the ford dealerships as a Insurance discount..But from what I heard when the SN95 Edges came out..It was a standard thing for the Chip key..? Maybe when the dealership got your Mach 1..They took out the Chip key to make a reg key setup? Service guy left it under the dash on accident? What type of key do you have now?

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthrea...Gals-Post-Up-Those-Keys!/page2&highlight=keys

RichV

Reaction score
I bet if you take that key off the contraption, your car won't start.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The chips in those keys are RFID and work by proximity. It's a way to "trick" the PATS system.

OP
OP
SMOKEDYA

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
Would this be worth anything? Are you guys saying this is a "master key"?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its a cheap way to do a remote start system to bypass pats. See if the key fits the ignition or if its only the RFID works with the stystem. If it fits the ignition either mess the key up so it will not fit the ignition so its a little harder to steal your car then to find the hidden key you just showed us all where it is.

RichV

Reaction score
My guess is that either the locks got changed in the car/ignition and the PO didn't want to pay for the PATS programming. Or they wanted spare keys, but didn't want to pay for the programming. So they just cut 2 new keys and left the original rigged for the proxy sensor.

The remote start scenario also makes sense.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
can't trick pats nope nope ah ah can't happen its a passive transponder sytem with 29 katrillion possiblilites to mess up and get around it. At least that is what I was told ya know.... :)

OP
OP
SMOKEDYA

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
I don't think it's going to matter and besides that you're going to need more than that key to steal this car

null_zps5bb33b6d.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thought you had a pic of my driveway there for a 2nd but mine is a 95 with no fenders/bumper ect.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its not a master key, just one that has been programmed to your cars vats system. By tying it up under the dash now any key used in the car, with or with out vats will work in the car. As I said above some car audio shops(cheap ones) will do this because the alternative is a more expensive module that maybe they didn't have, maybe they didn't care... But now you can also remote start the car assuming its an automatic

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I agree 100% man :icon_salut: sucks when shit like this happens it seems like you never really get over it. Like 5yrs down the road you'll be like "**** I wish I still had my Mach..." I do that all the time with my old cars lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online