You no good '98 "Bastards"

Goldmember

Reaction score
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

What should have been a simple 10-minute gauge cluster swap turned into a 2+ hour ordeal. I got a used gauge cluster from a wrecked '98 GT, because I wanted the black-face gauges. Now, as we know, 98 was a bastard year in some respects as far as some hardware is concerned.

Who would have thought Ford went through the trouble of retooling the electronics in the gauge cluster for one friggin' year? 99 went to the electronic odo so they must have changed some stuff...

Here's what happened:

Take 1- Straight-swapped clusters ('98 piece in my '97)- Tach, volts and oil pressure work ok. Fuel gauge pegged on E (and I have half a tank), water temp pegged past H.

Take 2- Pulled fuel gauge/temp gauge (they're one unit), reseated them thinking bad connection (the donor car was hit LF maybe something got rattled loose). Checked harnesses to cluster, we're looking good, I hook up gauges and hit the key. Same result as Take 1.

Take 3- Took a look at the bus on the back of the cluster. Turns out 97 and 98 are radically different... Orange bus is from my 97 and the green is from the 98. Maybe this is the cause of some problems.

DSC01960.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

Well from here, the problem is easy enough to solve- simply transfer the gauges over to my 97's cluster. In other words, swap all the gauges from one cluster to the other. Home free!! But NO!!

Take 4- Hook it up- now volts and temp aren't reading.

Take 5- I pull the little "motors" off teh back of these two gauges. Guess what? EVEN THESE LITTLE JFK HALF-DOLLAR-SIZED SHITS ARE DIFFERENT! Swap motors, put needles back on, hook up cluster to check it all out. The needles do not move on either gauge! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

The battlefield:

DSC01959.jpg

Take 6- Upon closer inspection I see I got a little too happy with putting the needles back on and they're right up against the gauge faces. If I move them back to their resting (key off) position, they'll move when I turn the key on. I notice the needles are sitting pretty much on the gauge face- got a little overzealous putting them back on. Re- seated the needles, and tested again. BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Now it all works fine. Test-drove to verify all gauges are working well and I'm good to go.

So... 96-97 if you're using gauges from a 98 donor car- the gauges must be transferred over to your old cluster, and you have to swap those two little motors on those gauges.

Ahh you 98 Bastards... you're why I'm gettin :happydrunks: :happydrunks: :happydrunks: tonight!!

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
Wow, looks like a nightmare. Way to stick it through to the end. It looks like you are atleast getting your potassium

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
Wow, looks like a nightmare. Way to stick it through to the end. It looks like you are atleast getting your potassium

yeah lol... though, having been through it I'd call it more of a pain in the ass. I was laughing toward the end at how ridiculous it was

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate when I underestimate a job, then I get halfway through and contemplate giving up and putting everything back to how it was. Usually end up trudging through, finishing, and being happy that I did.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
lol... I prefer C&D to MT and always have, we just happen to subscribe to both. And it just happened to be on the table at the time haha

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
98 is the coolest year of them all. The only difference between 98 and all the other years is a different tune, fuel system, and a larger tailpipe (only from above axle to the end tho) from what i've seen so far and from those things other things had to change because of it i guess

so i guess the tune was from a different fuel system, and the different gauge cluster was because the fuel system read differently cause it was a different tank and fuel pump type :dunno: and well I can't think of anything that would be different than that unless a wiring harness going to the rear tank is different?

name more changes!

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
sounds like too much work for what you wanted to accomplish but atleast you got it done. by the way, those bananas look tasty

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
fastgtfairlane said:
sounds like too much work for what you wanted to accomplish but atleast you got it done. by the way, those bananas look tasty

Maybe... but the result was well worth it :thumb: Never did like the white-face gauges.

ThePope

Reaction score
I put a Cobra cluster setup in my 98 GT. All my gauges work except the voltage. I'm about to try what you did. :crazy2:

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
i see....................98 FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dancing6: :hammer: :happydrunks: :bunny3: :banana: :boink: :knuppel2:

95 svt cobra

Reaction score
yikes sounds like a nightmare i dunno why ford did that with the 98's maybe they were getting to jumpy about another body change?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online