6k to spend what do you do?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I thought the remote tuning was only done after installing aftermarket ecu's? Do they do them with stock ecu's now?
Yes, you can do remote tuning with stock computers. They’ve been doing that for a long time. It’s the same process as being in person. You load a tune and datalog it, send them the log, they make a change and send a tune back to you. Rinse and repeat.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes, you can do remote tuning with stock computers. They’ve been doing that for a long time. It’s the same process as being in person. You load a tune and datalog it, send them the log, they make a change and send a tune back to you. Rinse and repeat.
The remote tuning I did I connected my pc to the ecu and then allowed the tuner to make adjustments live via a program he had while the motor was running. He made adjustments to the timing and we watched the rpms if I remember the details but it was all done live. Is this the same with the stock ecu?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I was having some fun poking at you guys choices of electric motors. But yeah I suppose I did ask, to be clear you would take out a good runing 2 valve 4.6 and replace it with an electric motor ?
I don’t know what your fuel economy is currently. The EPA ratings back then were a joke, and that’s with it being completely stock. My 5.0 sounds nice, but it gets 10mpg and incredibly slow compared to anything made in the last decade. 4 and 6 cylinder mustangs are faster. I like the 5.0 for the sound and heritage, but that’s where it ends. Yours is just a 4.6. Faster, modular, and it’s own handful of vulnerabilities. Naturally everyone, me included, thinks that a coyote engine would be the best solution, but then I look at our 2015 Model S, our 2014 RAV4 EV, the 55 GMC with 2010 Leaf batteries, and the memory of the little 2017 Chevy Volt started it all and think, wow. So much torque. Stop light to stop light, this thing would own even brand new mustangs. They wouldn’t even hear me coming. I have no intentions of drag racing, but if I did, where are the quarter mile tracks? They’re all an eighth. That’s too short for anything serious to catch up with me. And autocross… …it wouldn’t matter if I made complete stops at every turn, as I’d have the torque to bring me back up to speed. Plus, the ability to precondition the car with the garage door closed, that’s its own added benefit.

The thing is, your car is a GT, so I understand wanting to keep it a v8, but this isn’t a Saleen, or Roush, Mach, Bullitt, Terminator, Cobra R… …any low production variant that is museum worthy. No one cares what I do with my car because on paper, it’s not special. Yours is just slightly nicer because of the VIN, but they made several hundred thousand, and you can daily drive it without fearing that you’re devaluing it.

You can always keep the 4.6 in the garage somewhere, or sell it off to someone who really wants, possibly even needs it. I sold my old 3.8 to someone who needed it after the v8 swap. In fact, one car I sold, I was able to see live on in a 24 Hour Lemons and Chump car. I was very proud to see how successful my engine made the new vehicle.

EV conversions aren’t for everyone. You do lose that epic sound. But for some, its one of the best mods you can do.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
Blankenship might be able to remote tune it.

There are some others that do remote tuning, but I cannot remember them right now.
I have the mpvi2 from hp tuners, but I have been reading the datalogging is really bad for these particular ecus. The local tuner I did find did not want to tune a boosted setup in part because he said the datalogging was so poor, also he did not like tuning using the maf setups these mustangs have.

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
You could email 5 star tuning and see if they will do it. You’re probably going to have to get a SCT device and do the tuning that way.
I do own an sct x4 handheld tuner. The guy who does my major work is looking into it next week to see what all he can do with scts software. So fingers crossed he likes what he sees and can tune it for me.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The remote tuning I did I connected my pc to the ecu and then allowed the tuner to make adjustments live via a program he had while the motor was running. He made adjustments to the timing and we watched the rpms if I remember the details but it was all done live. Is this the same with the stock ecu?
Stock computers don’t tune live. The data has to be recorded, changes made to the tune, then the tune loaded back in and logged again.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes, to clarify it is a 2002 2 valve 4.6. My biggest issue right now is tuning there is not much info out there on what people are using to tune boosted 4.6 2 valves, the only guy that would mess with it wanted to do a complete stand alone system at a hefty price.
You just get a sct and get kurgan to do a mail order tune . A Vortech is a simple tune for him . He did my 4v cobra and it was on the money

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
That will work bob kurgan , kurgan Motorsports
Found a local guy to tune it with the sctx4, fingers crossed will get it back next week and see how it feels with the new tune. Thanks to everyone for the advice so far. If this goes well I will ask him about boost!

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
SCTX4 is out thanks to our good friends at the epa my tuner wont touch sct. I do not blame him at all after reading what they want you to sign to tune using them. So standalone it is, alot more than I wanted to spend but it sets me up for future mods much better and he says he can get 30 or so whp with just tuning and my current mods. Here is what he is putting in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006_120401_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_120401_Chrome.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231006_120417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_120417_Chrome.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231006_120440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006_120440_Chrome.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
SCTX4 is out thanks to our good friends at the epa my tuner wont touch sct. I do not blame him at all after reading what they want you to sign to tune using them. So standalone it is, alot more than I wanted to spend but it sets me up for future mods much better and he says he can get 30 or so whp with just tuning and my current mods. Here is what he is putting in.
Now that is interesting! I haven’t heard of them. What software does it use for tuning?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
What year is your car? Any reason you’re going with this ecu over getting a plug and play megasquirt unit?

OP
OP
unterstutzung87
Reaction score
What year is your car? Any reason you’re going with this ecu over getting a plug and play megasquirt unit?
Mainly because its what my tuner is comfortable with. I had never heard of it before but he swears by it and said he has tuned many cars with it, so good enough for me. If this goes well I will be getting him to tune my twisted wedge kit or blower I want. Glad to finally be getting somewhere as this Bama canned tune is absolutely garbage!

garrittpwl

Reaction score
6k is not enough money in the long run for boost IMO
Now that is interesting! I haven’t heard of them. What software does it use for tuning?
They use Advantage III. The same software they've used for 20 years. You have to buy their "Pro Racer Package" to get access as an individual as oppose to their dealer license and when doing so you sign their agreements stating that you'll only use it on race cars and won't use it to turn off the EPA required sensors or to bypass any EPA regulations in a street car. I have this package and have been tweaking on a tune myself for my turbo car. Only because I'm stuck with SCT since I'm using a 96 ECM. If you have a 99+ ECM its my understanding that certain HP tuners will work with it. The SCT package also has to mail you a dongle that is required to be plugged into the laptop for you to even access the software, that dongle is married to your cars ECM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online