96blak54 on going projects

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to my on going projects thread!
Thought id share with you guys

To start this thread ill give a preview of a camshaft grinder that ive been building on for a couple of years. I have most of it CAD drawn up, but have since changed some of the design for simplicity and cost. Needless to say, like most projects, they take a turn down a different path. The first design was set for rigidity, but rigidity comes with a cost. So lighter and smarter ways to achieve what i want and still make it to produce what i need.

The initial design was to be able to grind multiple types of cams by locating on the centers at the ends of the camshaft and be driven with a dog clamp.(this was rigid) Although my main purpose is to grind modular cams, i didnt want to waste not being able to grind other types.

Ill be using towers to hold the cams, like you see the brass pieces in the pic. Also the pivot shaft the brass towers are functioned with, would have been 2" steel bar ground and polished, but instead i used some available 25mm (.984") ground and polished. The 2" materials would have been sturdy enough for the "between centers" disgn i was shooting for. I like this design better. Actually feels very rigit.

I grabbed a $50 harbor freight 8" pedestal grinder for the grinding. I unbolted the foot mount, machined some mounts with the same body radius to sit snug on the Y axis cross slide. Ill wrap some 1/4"-20 all thread around the body to strap it down. I also had to chuck the entire grinder in the lathe (without grinding wheels...duh) to turn the ends back alittle bit. This will bring the wheels closer together. Doing so will allow the one wheel to clear in between lobes while the other is grinding a lobe.

I still have alot to do, but all in time. Ill keep this thread updated as i proceed.

27ebde945b35aee7338869a47254ef96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So your doing custom grinds now?!?! Can't say I know too many others doing this on their garage!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No custom grinds yet! Getting closer.

Really though i plan to market the grinder to hobbiest. Like hard core motorsport folk that dont want anyone to know their cam specs.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The cam grinder will be made universal towards all type of motorsports. Small engine especially.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Well it has been a minute!!

FINALLY! Finally got to the point of grinding steel!

And i have to say i am impressed. I initially thought their would be some resonance through the machine from the grinding but their isnt. Solid!

Subscribed! Would love to see more vids!

PinkieT

Reaction score
I've cobbled together a few simple out of the box fixes in my day, but nothing like this. Nice work, my man!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Started this project in 2016 with sketches and cad drawings.

Started this thread in 2017

Today

20210513_122626_HDR.jpg

Its been a minute for sure! Wow...5yrs!

Although i must say, ive managed to keep costs next to nothing by cobbling this together mostly with scrap and scavenged materials. I did buy 2 HF pedestal grinders and a mini belt grinder, totally almost $200.

The grinders didnt work out well at all. Nothing with their function. They performed as expected. It was the ability to dress the wheel square after a lobe grind. A diamond wheel dresser, making a holder, and then the function of dressing the wheel wasnt appealing to me.

As you can see in the pic, i swapped the grinder out in favor of a belt grinder. This way, after a lobe grind, if needed, i can just swap out the belt to a new one and be ready to grind. An added benefit to using the belt grinder over the wheel grinders is surface roughness. The grinding wheel left the surface very rough and not uniform. On the other hand, the belt grinder does on awesome job, leaving the surface darn near stock like. And the grind pattern is very smooth. Ive been using harbor freight belts and has worked fine, one belt per lobe, but i plan to get some aluminum oxide belts. One belt will probably do all the lobes no problems.

So who wants a performance regrind on stock cams?

Last edited:

d.garza18

Reaction score

Today

View attachment 10399

Although i must say, ive managed to keep costs next to nothing by cobbling this together mostly with scrap and scavenged materials. I did buy 2 HF pedestal grinders and a mini belt grinder, totally almost $200.

The grinders didnt work out well at all. Nothing with their function. They performed as expected. It was the ability to dress the wheel square after a lobe grind. A diamond wheel dresser, making a holder, and then the function of dressing the wheel wasnt appealing to me.

As you can see in the pic, i swapped the grinder out in favor of a belt grinder. This way, after a lobe grind, if needed, i can just swap out the belt to a new one and be ready to grind. An added benefit to using the belt grinder over the wheel grinders is surface roughness. The grinding wheel left the surface very rough and not uniform. On the other hand, the belt grinder does on awesome job, leaving the surface darn near stock like. And the grind pattern is very smooth. Ive been using harbor freight belts and has worked fine, one belt per lobe, but i plan to get some aluminum oxide belts. One belt will probably do all the lobes no problems.

2 please

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

Today

View attachment 10399

Can you do a 4 cam 4.6

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Time for a yearly update!

I have regound a few set of cams since the last update. No real feedback results from them yet. They all went to project cars. But we are talking stock cams tho. Maybe adds 20hp. I got a few guys wanting 4v cams reground. They wont be the normal grind like 2v and ill have to rethink how i approach the lobe. Im thinking removing material from the intake base circle and almost reshape the lobe to gain more duration. This means shims will need to be added under the lashers. Not a big deal. Figuring it out and time is the problem. As for the exhaust cam, i wont touch it. The builder will need to degree the cam relative to the reground intake.

The switch to a belt grinder over the grinder wheel was a good move. The surface results are night and day. The grinding wheel couldnt produce a smooth enough surface and redressing the wheel surface edge to be square with the cam posed a problem too. A wheel that could produce a smooth surface added to operational costs and the time to dress it after gringing each lobe...it was a no brainer to swap it in favor of the belt grinder.

Grinding belts were $10 for a 3 pack. That was almost a year ago. Who knows how much they are now. Its time to buy a round of them again.

i can get 2 lobes per belt. The belts are wide enough that i can grind offset from the center towards the edge. A left and right side of the belt and one lobe per side is about all itll last then it becomes a polishing cloth.

I have discovered the base wheel that the cam pattern traces against needs to be smaller. I have found im not able to get the details from my pattern. The base wheel was figured in for the grinding wheel and is the same size as the grinding wheel. Now that im using the belt grinder, i have found needed changes.

Im still wanting to automate the cam rotation. Use some pulleys and a power window motor mounted up somehow. Something strong and slow to keep a smooth rotation so that i dont have to stand there rotating it by hand untill the grind sparks out. Very time consuming. I could be doing something else while the camgrinder does its thing. Although i knew this would eat some time grinding because its a small machine. Its either time or ridged horsepower when it comes down to getting work done with a machine. Costs choose time for me.

Last edited:

joemomma

Reaction score
I think you'll have a bit of sticker shock when you go buy new belts. My dad does woodworking for a hobby and I've heard him comment on how much more belts and such are now.

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
cool stuff. What ever happened to your rods project?
Ive put it on the back burner. Stupid me thinking i could produce results with inadequate tooling. I was trying to save $200. Now i have to machine a work holding fixture so that i can remove material from the rod and cap. Give it another go. Only this time ill just get the hole size close and then spend the $200 to get it done right

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Many many many many ....many times its humbled me. Especially when a $100 endmill gets broke cause i programmed a decimal in the wrong location

d.garza18

Reaction score
Will give you updates on mine soon! Glad to see you still making progress!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online