drag radials??

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
MuscleInc1320 said:
i kinda do need something that is going last some kinda distant so most likely i will end up getting the 555rs

I think you'll like them, i loved mine and I would have bought them again if they weren't stupid expensive in 18's.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
the 555r arent that expensive from what i seen there only like ten to twenty bucks more then the regular 555s

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I run the Nitto 555 R's for the street and they hook very well. I dont use them at the track anymore b/c they dont hook that well at the track, some people have good luck w/ them others dont. Once they get warmed up on the street then they sick.

ram360

Reaction score
nittos don't hooks for shit at the track. I ran there 315/35/17 and their 245/45/17 drag radial on 3 different cars no traction. If you looking for a decent hooking "street tire" w/ ok lifespan they aren't too bad. I wouldn't consider them a drag tire at all. My friend borrowed them one day and was cutting better 60' on his kuhmo streets...go figure.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
thats one of the few reasons I'm just against the 555rs. I also have friends that try to take these tires to the track and have no luck at all with them. Especially when you get into cars with decent hp and high stall converters

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
more or less i do need a tire that still has somewhat of a decent lifespan. i use to go to track a lot more a couple years back but the drag strip closed down and the closest road coarse is like 60 miles away lol so i dont hit it up very much. thats why i am thinking for the cost and life span the nitto 555r's are going to be the best choice from what i have read. i do appreciate your guys inputs tho =)

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was letting the clutch out around 4500rpm on my Nittos and they didn't even let out a chirp :dontknow:

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you giving me a hard time? after the Nittos are heated they let out a very loud screech when they spin. I was launching high RPM all night and the tires never once broke loose.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
hmmm... i DO know this for a fact.....

MT et streets, are slick as greased eel shit in the rain.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
you must have had a good sticky track w/ good temps for traction b/c Nitto's suck more times then not. They are a really hard compound to be considered a drag tire.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
are you giving me a hard time? after the Nittos are heated they let out a very loud screech when they spin. I was launching high RPM all night and the tires never once broke loose.

dont take this the wrong way but you launching at high rpm is ALOT different then Venom or my self launching high rpm... a stock b head car makes power but not as much as a 351 at a launch so there is a power difference here.

My whole arguementfor this is why would you buy a drag radial and worry about how long its gonna last, thats HONESTLY the same shit as saying well i didnt buy a corvette, the oil changes are too much money WTF PAY TO PLAY you want grip get M/T , you want long gevity and great wear life, buy Nitto

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
they might be hard compared to the MT but they are still really soft rubber, you can sink your nail into them pretty easily. Dunno, maybe a lot of people don't heat them enough.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
duff daddy said:
OnyxCobra said:

dont take this the wrong way but you launching at high rpm is ALOT different then Venom or my self launching high rpm... a stock b head car makes power but not as much as a 351 at a launch so there is a power difference here.

My whole arguementfor this is why would you buy a drag radial and worry about how long its gonna last, thats HONESTLY the same **** as saying well i didnt buy a corvette, the oil changes are too much money WTF PAY TO PLAY you want grip get M/T , you want long gevity and great wear life, buy Nitto

not sure why you mentioned a B headed car? in theory I would think a sticky tire should be more important to me than you, seeing as you have a LOT better weight transfer than I do and your car should make more out of a tire than mine could. Also I wouldn't exactly consider Venom's car a powerhouse, a local guy here was running a 393 Cobra with Nittos and was having huge luck with them even on stock springs.

At any rate people care about drag radials lasting because like a lot of other people my car is driven on the street 95% of the time, it may see the track once or twice a year tops. This means i don't want to be putting a new set of tires on it every year especially when they aren't seeing the track more than one or two nights, i'd rather have a tire that grabs better on the street than a normal radial but it still gets quite sticky when heated.

Inspector13

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
duff daddy said:
OnyxCobra said:

My whole arguementfor this is why would you buy a drag radial and worry about how long its gonna last, thats HONESTLY the same **** as saying well i didnt buy a corvette, the oil changes are too much money WTF PAY TO PLAY you want grip get M/T , you want long gevity and great wear life, buy Nitto

in theory I would think a sticky tire should be more important to me than you, seeing as you have a LOT better weight transfer than I do and your car should make more out of a tire than mine could.

Right right. My friend ran his 10 second fox body on Nittos no problems. That is launching a 347 stroker motor on nitrous with 4:10's on an automatic trans and no trans brake. Yes the MTs are stickier and hook better but the difference between the two tires on his car is a tenth of a second. He ran 10.7 with the Nitto 555Rs and 10.6 on the MTs.

There is nothing wrong with the Nittos. No they don't hook as good as the MTs, but they last longer, cheaper, and are better in the rain.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
there is a lot more then a .10 in that time, you need to make sure track temp is the same, prep, launch, trans fluid, d/a alot of other things that go in to it then just the type of tire...

and onyx yea your true on that, look at like the 10.5 tire guys in nmra, so oyu are right there but thoes guys have a pretty consistant track prep unlike us

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
track prep is huge when it comes to which tires work on which tracks. I never tried the Nittos on anything other then a street night and thats the night of the worse prep but Im also not going to waste my time using Nittos on a test and tune or a track rental when I have MT DR's and Slicks. All I know is that from what I have seen the best I could do was a 1.9 on Nitto's w/ different RPM's, with the slicks I can just dump the clutch at 5,800 RPMS and the hook like nothing else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online