gt's camaro build thread

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
blown1981z28 said:
Looks like you are going to have some fun with that one. WHat are your plans for the drivetrain. I have an 81 with 50,000 miles. I am currently trading it for a built 95 SN95 vert. Here are some pics of mine.

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

:behind:

Dairy King said:
Whoa...Your gonna leave the 10 bolt in there? ??? ??? ???

probably, there's nothing really wrong with a 10bolt, as long as it's built right.

blown1981z28

Reaction score
The 10 bolt will take quite a bit of hp. The Z has run a 10.90 but was shut down for not having a full cage.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
i had about 400-450 horsepower in my 97 z28 (i know i know) and it had a 10 bolt.. even with a auburn diff, richmond gears, good axles, and all the works, it would ring the ring gear and destroy the innards.. so go with a 12 bolt

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The old school 8.5" ten bolt look's suspciously like a Ford 8.8 that it pre-dates.... They are tough enough. The newer 7.5"ten-bolt's, and 7.625, totally suck monkey ball's and aren't even worthy of being in the back of the lame 3.8l 77 monte Carlo's they were designed for.

Nice build BTW! However, where I'm from, all you'd need is Cherry Bomb's and air shock's, maybe some Kelley Charger's, mounted white letter's out of course, and you'd be swimmin in sweet poontang!

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
^ lol, the new 10 bolts are too small, it's the weak point of newer camaro's/t/a's and will usually wear out very fast anyway. My cousin has a v6 camaro with 80 k miles on it and she's already had to replace the rearend, luckily under warranty :)

I'm hoping to be ordering all body panels pretty soon, then soon to come after that will be reupholstered seats and dash, then will come drivetrain.

I'm going to get some more jackstands so I can take the body off the frame and drop the rearend and gastank, replace all brake lines, fix emergency brake and replace brake pads and paint brake calipers :) probably tuesday or wednesday I'll have an update with pics

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
this car is turning out to be more trouble than It's worth, I'm trying to sell it now for what I paid for it, $400 or I'd even take a loss on this

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Rust repair rarely is, unless it's a collectable or just worth it to you personally.

To play devils advocate, you can go on with what you have, knowing exactly what is in it, or buy a nicer looking car that may still have major problems, albeit hidden ones...

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
well i found an 80 z28 with only 2 small rust holes on fender with orig 350 rebuilt .030 over 18k miles ago 4 spd with a 12 bolt rearend and t-tops for 1000

and over on the right side of the title it says "rebuilt" so I think that it was at one time totaled and salvaged and then "rebuilt" I learned all about this in my stang.

and if it is that, then the car will be worth nothing anyway!

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
True... Your call dude, personally, I wouldn't bother with the rusty one anyway, I just figured I would bring up the counterpoint...

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
I know what u mean and thanks for some advice anyhow. I think I'm just going to get rid of it soon because I just realized the thing on the title... I was told it was a clear title and never looked back... that kind of pisses me off, but u get what u pay for :/

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
lol if i had the money i would tt ls1 in it, but tomorow im having a guy come look at it he says he's really interested and he would give me the 400 for it and come get it so really i don't think im gonna be out any money.

for my next project I'm for sure going to get a car that runs or atleast has a great body. I really want a 496 :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've done just what your doing to my 67.
props for going all out old school. :santa_afro:

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
old school ftw. I wish i could find an old fastback, but you can't find one with an engine and transmission for less than 15k and in terrible condition and without an engine and tranny it's still about 8k with a terrible body.

I'm looking now for a nova or chevelle mainly, but I'm looking at almost anymuscle car

o ya i sold that camaro for $200 and parted some other stuff out for $50 so im only out like $150 but still, im glad to be rid of it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnnyOctane

Members online