Tickning noise from engine

Benne02

Reaction score
Hi guys, maybe this noise is nothing to be worried about, maybe it's catastrophic. Might just be the valves working? Or the injectors? I don't know. But when I'm driving I'm hearing a tickning noise from the engine, I only hear it while there is load on the engine.

From watching other people's cars on YouTube I can't hear this noise. So I'm thinking it is supposed to be there...
Any feedback would be appreciated

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That's nothing serious I really could not hear it
You would know if it started ticking it gets noisy

07GtS197

Reaction score
It sounds like an exhaust leak to me but if it’s only there under load it could be pinging. Doesn’t really sound like it though.

leearnold.1122

Reaction score
Hi guys, maybe this noise is nothing to be worried about, maybe it's catastrophic. Might just be the valves working? Or the injectors? I don't know. But when I'm driving I'm hearing a tickning noise from the engine, I only hear it while there is load on the engine.

From watching other people's cars on YouTube I can't hear this noise. So I'm thinking it is supposed to be there...
Any feedback would be appreciated
I believe it could be "VERY SERIOUS"!!!

I had a similar noise in my '04 mach 1 that wound up being a big mess. It was the two piece timing gear on the crank. The front gear drives the passenger side cam gears and rear drives the drivers side. Well the rear gear was wearing the keyway loose and causing the tapping noise I heard in my engine. (This was due to a poor design from Ford on making the two piece gear. The new replacement is a one piece.) Everyone said "it's no big deal". Most experts would say " it's the timing chain tensioner". I listened to them and it cost me two weeks down and I had to replace my drivers side valves due to them getting bent when the rear gear finally gave way in Knoxville TN, when I was on my way to Chattanooga TN. The tow bill was $450 to Chattanooga then another $750 to the machine shop. Bottom line is I would pull the front cover off and check everything out. You'll have the valve covers off and can see pretty much everything except the bottom end but I don't believe it's deep enough to be the bottom end.

Just a note If you need to replace the crank gear which I would if it's a two piece mach 1: Make sure you have the correct one piece crank gear. They make two because the crank wheel comes in two different thicknesses. Therefore the two different depths for the gear for clearance.

I really need to hear it better. I'm just saying it could be serious.

Attachments

• 0312181624b.jpg
    0312181624b.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Slice

Reaction score
It was hard to hear anything ticking in that video. Did you have your windows down, all I could hear was a lot of wind or road noise.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to agree. try with the hood up and see if you can narrow down what is doing it. A tick could be a number of things depending on where it is coming from on the motor.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That was the motor ticking when I put it together
And I had no faith in it
But a few of these guys told me leave and see what happens
Glad I let it go
I was about to rip the motor out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members