What suspension Mod should I do next?

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the information, I appreciate it all. I will now go read and do some more research on this. I kinda now which direction to proceed in. This post helped me out a ton. So thanks again!

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Another question! Which rear LCA's brands are exceptable and which are not?
MM is having a sale on the XD ones, both adjustable and fixed.
I have heard good things about the BMR, UPR ones too..just so many choices.

I just don't understand the difference in this type
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-...e-lower-control-arm-kit-urethane-bushing.html

or this type..which is better?
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=432

vs this type...
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...o&cPath=514_21_91_426_441_446&products_id=529

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Another question! Which rear LCA's brands are exceptable and which are not?
MM is having a sale on the XD ones, both adjustable and fixed.
I have heard good things about the BMR, UPR ones too..just so many choices.

I just don't understand the difference in this type
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-...e-lower-control-arm-kit-urethane-bushing.html

or this type..which is better?
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=432

vs this type...
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...o&cPath=514_21_91_426_441_446&products_id=529

People will say that mm is the best and others are crap. But idk.. i got J&m lcas and love them. No problems at all.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the difference is that the MM extreme dutys have spherical bushings (no rubber) whereas the heavy dutys have prothyne bushings.

they suggest XD for 500+ rear *wheel* horsepower and HD for anything less.

The XD send alot of noise and vibration into the car.

I got the HDs, they said with my power output (500RWHP) that i'll be fine with the HDs. Just check the bushing when im under the car, and specifically check the bushings before and after each trip down the track.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i suggest avoiding UPR products. there is a wealth of information on the internet about the ethics, quality, and type of company that UPR offers.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I run the MM HD adjustable arms in the rear, they are a very nice piece. in case you didn't realize the MM XD ones will only be on sale until midnight, if you want the HD ones they'll probably put them on sale another day.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Onxy I did know that and I kinda wanted to jump on those. But I won't be racing anytime soon, so I can wait for the HD's ones. I might get the adjustable just for the ability for future use and for dropping the backend a bit more. Well see..

MC, thanks for letting know about UPR , I would guess some people love them and some hate their stuff. I was on another Stang forum and saw a few members there prefered them. I am also nervous about that company, for my own reasons. Stick with what ya know!!!!!!! again..

What about Sway bars??? which brand...Eibach or Hotchkis or other ( like steeda ) I'm going to install my LCAs along with my swaybar

http://www.hotchkis.net/1994up-mustang-sport-sway-bars.html
They say at Hotchkis
Our redesigned bar mounts to the quad shock brackets allowing for more efficient sway bar action, translating into improved traction and added strength.
But the cost alot more!!!!

Thanks again for all the help on this...It is appreciated very much!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what are your goals for the car? your final suspension set-up?

do you want to auto-x? do you want to drag race? ???

are you sticking with coil-on-arm suspension? or are you going with coil-overs?

MM suggests leaving the sway bars in place (the OEM ones) if you plan on doing auto-x with coil-overs the beefed up sway bars will over-transfer to the inside and the outside wheel loses traction.

A budget-friendly idea: get cobra sway bars (96-98), these are cheaper, and still give you a performance bump.
If you are sticking with drag racing: stick with OEM sway bars, as they are not heavily required in straight-line performance.
If you want to do auto-x and/or fun street warrior, let us know what your final goals are for the car and what kind of budget you got.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
I prolly will never drag it. I just want a nice peforming street car ( you know like a fun drive through the Rockies Mtns ) with a chance of autoX. I'm sure I am good for right now even with the mods I have, but I want it to be better.
I thought about a coil over kit, since I have Blisteins, but I just bought springs and lowered this last spring. I thought my last mods for suspension would be LCAS and Swaybars and I could be done for awhile. Then I could work on headers and gears.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay. well the R&D on our cars has pretty much come to a stop over the years... so all of the best is out there and the best has been re-made by discount chinese shops... lol.

so, I'd suggest eibach kit. Name brand, known quality. I suggest avoiding Steeda (as I *hate* their customer service) and UPR.

MM, griggs, eibach, steeda, they all have quality products. and not much can go wrong with sway bars in a street car. lol. in a high-performance car they can warp or break. but in a street rod, any of them should hold up fine.

RichV

Reaction score
+1 for J&M, www.hotpart.com

Good quality and they don't break the bank. They have survived on my race car for many years, bushings are still together even running r-comp tires.

I don't know why you feel you need swaybars. Stock Cobras are just fine, specialy with stiffer springs. But Suspension Techniques has some nice kits.
http://www.stsuspensions-store.com/products/st-anti-swaybar-set-8.html I ran them on a E30 BMW and the kit is definitely nice, bushings and mounts included.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
+1 for J&M, www.hotpart.com

Good quality and they don't break the bank. They have survived on my race car for many years, bushings are still together even running r-comp tires.

I don't know why you feel you need swaybars. Stock Cobras are just fine, specialy with stiffer springs. But Suspension Techniques has some nice kits.
http://www.stsuspensions-store.com/products/st-anti-swaybar-set-8.html I ran them on a E30 BMW and the kit is definitely nice, bushings and mounts included.

I guess I felt like I needed new swaybars, because I feel a bit of lean in the car still. Maybe I can just do as you said before and upgrade the bushings.
I for sure need rear LCA's as I have experienced the wheel hop. Plus have you looked at those stock ones...eeeeww.

Can you recommend or give me a list of all the bushings places I would need to replace. Maybe I can get a kit of some sort?

RichV

Reaction score
You're going to lean a little no matter what. As a matter of fact, I've found these Fox chassis do better when they are allowed to move a little.

If no movement was best, why bother with springs and shocks. :) It needs to be balanced, but you also need to know what is lacking. If you're curing oversteer or understeer.

Anyway, on the bushings, replace the rack, front CAs, and swaybar. Do some X2 balljoints, poly motor mounts, poly trans mount, new rear lower CAs, and new OEM stock upper CAs. It's a little bit of work, but the reward will be good. Specialy if you run it hard.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I was leaning like a cholo before, then i got the eibach anti roll kit and it is very firm and planted with VERY little lean

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Ok well I order my R-LCAs today..screaming price. From MM, I got the HD adjustable ones. I will add some swaybar bushings and a few other bushing once I get the LCAs and put them in. I am not going to buy new swaybars..just the bushings. Since the diameters are basically the same..I guess they are smaller on GTs but my Cobra has upgraded ones already....Thanks Rich V for helping me understand that.

I also heard that replacing all the bushing to poly type will give me alot more noise is this true?

RichV

Reaction score
No problem! I'm sure you got some quality pieces.

Yea, you will get a little less ride quality in trade for a stiffer chassis. But, that's ultimately up to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online