What suspension Mod should I do next?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
Some good info in here. Rich V needs to post more often.

bonestock3.8DTH

Reaction score
I run front and rear sway bars from a company called Hellwig Products, the front one is HUGE and the rear one is like 25.4 or 25.5 mm thick so its only a little thicker than the stocker. I honestly do not know pricing for them, but they are awesome quality and came with bushings end links and grease for the poly bushings, they made a huge difference in the way my car handled. I got the 03/04 Cobra control arms from MM and I really like them. I also have MM full length subframe connectors in the mail and next will be MM LCAs except I will probably just got with the regular HD ones. I just run my car through the curves and go autocrosses whenever I can.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I didnt read the whole thread but do this next:
Poly or Solid Rack bushings
Poly sway bar bushings and links.

Then LCAs or a panhard bar.

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
Ok So I bought only 1 set of new rubber bushings for the Stock Rear UPPER control arms.
This set..... http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-88-axle-install-8604.html
But now I think I need another set...if I want to do both sides. Dang it! I thought I was done buying bushings...
I need a total of 4 bushing to replace the old wore out one.

It is the same bushing on each of the ends? Correct?
uppercontrolarms01s.jpg

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
So I got off the phone with MM and they said ( regarding Upper control arms )the axel bushing is NOT the same as the bushing in the arm!!!!!! and said there is no way to remove the arm bushings. So now I am kinda stuck and have to buy whole new uppers arms. They said I could try and remove the arm bushings, but that I'd destroy the actual arm.

Or is there another way around this? What should I do now?

RichV

Reaction score
2 bushings are in the rear end. Those are the ones you have. The upper CAs you replace as a whole, how do they look? Can you just reuse them?

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
2 bushings are in the rear end. Those are the ones you have. The upper CAs you replace as a whole, how do they look? Can you just reuse them?
I'll have to crawl under and have a peak. BUT if I do have to only replace the bushings by buying new UCA's, then which ones should I get? Do both need to be rubber, to prevent binding, Or can I have a combination of the two..the axel bushings rubber and the in the actual arms have the Poly??

Actually I think maybe Adjustable spherical UCA would be the best choice..but who makes good ones??http://www.americanmuscle.com/qa1-tubular-uca-7904.html

Brands I have looked into, which seem good to me..but maybe I am misguided..
Stockers from MM
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...=product_info&cPath=514_21_98&products_id=544
Hotchkis
http://www.americanmuscle.com/hotchkis-upper-controlarms-7904.html

I don't think poly boxed UCA's ones are the way to go, beacuse I have seen those kind crack.

Or should I just skip the UCA's completely for now??

RichV

Reaction score
Dump them, go TA and PHB.

Lol, go stock replacement on the UCA. The MM ones are the way to go if you want to replace them. If they are not falling apart, just don't do them yet.

RichV

Reaction score
I haven't, my race class does not allow changing the UCAs from stock. Reading on CC however, the UCAs being too stiff causes torque box damage and is really beneficial for straight line vs street/open track.

Are you doing this project now? Or still buying stuff? Is that pic of your rear end?

OP
OP
Darhawk

Darhawk

Reaction score
I haven't, my race class does not allow changing the UCAs from stock. Reading on CC however, the UCAs being too stiff causes torque box damage and is really beneficial for straight line vs street/open track.

Are you doing this project now? Or still buying stuff? Is that pic of your rear end?

I am not doing the project this minute, ( haven't started yet ) and No that isn't my car in the picture. I got it off YouTube. UCA's are my last purchase and I thought I could just buy the bushings and then I would be done buying the parts and be ready for install. I still need to crawl under and have a look. I just thought I'd be safe and just install the bushings while I was updating the rear suspension. Because I didn't want to have to get back in there twice. My car has the low miles, but since it lived at the Ocean for most it's life, the rubber tends to breakdown.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
If you want to make a huge improvement in the way your handles, brakes, accelerates and added stabilty at high speeds get a Torque arm and couple it with either PHB or watts link. If you run bigger tailpipes a PHB will be easier to clearance. By adding both a TA and PHB you will be able to remove your upper control arms and save on all the hassles of buying and installing them.

Now, please excuse my ignorance because I didn't read the whole thread but if you're like me and want a vehicle that drives as smooth as an BMW M5 and handles like a ZR1, then adding a TA and PHB is a step in the right direction. I went your route of replacing upper and lower control arms and while it did make a improvement it was not a noticeable as adding a TA and PHB.

Good luck with your decision.
Michael Plummer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online