'03/'04 Cobra engine/trans swap in SN95?

96GTvert

Reaction score
Hey I'm pretty new to SN95's, I have another thread floating around about a 96 GT Vert I am pickin' up soon and I was just doing some thinking... the engine in my GT has pretty high mileage but is in really good condition but I am just doing some thinkin' about the future just in case anything happens to the engine. My guess is that the '03/'04 Cobra engine and trans would fit in a 96 with no problem because it is a Ford 4.6 V8? I was just wondering if I am correct in this assumption. Of course I'm sure the axle's and suspension would have to be upgraded to handle the extra horsepower and torque, but as far as just dropping the engine in, would it fit in the 96 engine bay fine? Also, does anyone have any rough ideas of $$ for 03/04 Cobra engine and trans or how easily I could come across that setup?

96GT

Reaction score
Straight forward swap. You may need a new hood, but I am not 100 percent certain on that one.

The entire Drivetrain cost 10k+ used. You need to hunt hard for a deal. IMO, its not worth it, just build your own, its cheaper and will yield more power.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
There's one for sale in the classifieds for 6500 right now...

It bolt's in the same as any other 4v swap, and a quick search will turn up all you need to know about 4v swaps

OP
OP

96GTvert

Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for the info and yeah, unless my engine were to suddenly blow up for some strange reason, I will be building the stock 4.6 thats in there now. In fact, even if my engine were to blow up, it might be unlikely that I would end up going with an 03/04 Cobra engine and trans. 10+K is steep for a used Cobra engine and trans.. if I could find one for around 6500 (for a good mileage engine and trans) then it might be more practical. The only reason I would go with that setup is because of the insanely high horsepower you can make for a couple K worth of mods.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
A Cobra engine? maybe. The issue arises from them having super tough components, but pistons on the tighter side of tolerences as well as teh rings for longevity in a stock application.

People start whacking them with 20 spi and doing 170 mph pulls down the freeway in 6th, and that's when the issues arise. Almost every Cobra engine problem comes from heat, which comes fromt heir tight ass pistons and little ring gaps.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
firstonraceday said:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._compound_boost_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

stock motor and stock pullied eaton with twins. They compounded to 60 POUNDS!!! on a stock motor mind you (The heads started to lift). So yea basically the termi motors came in a box with a label from Heaven. :hammer:

That is the hellraiser from hellion systems

here a vid of the car on the dyno and a pic of the set up

SICKEST COBRA EVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpSMlo7pN8

[attachment deleted by admin]

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
ıʌɐɾ said:
firstonraceday said:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._compound_boost_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

stock motor and stock pullied eaton with twins. They compounded to 60 POUNDS!!! on a stock motor mind you (The heads started to lift). So yea basically the termi motors came in a box with a label from Heaven. :hammer:

That is the hellraiser from hellion systems

here a vid of the car on the dyno and a pic of the set up

SICKEST COBRA EVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpSMlo7pN8

Sounds like a supra killer to me

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Their goal is to get as much as HP as they can with the stock motor and as far as i know the motor hasnt ever been taken apart.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I might be wrong but does that pic show that the system is run off the stock headers? it looks like it just comes off the stock headers and under the k member.

firstonraceday

Reaction score
yup its run off the stock headers. There was another cobra on mod fords a while back maybe someone on here can dig up the thread but, it was a re manned 03 cobra motor that made something like 999 horse through an auto as well. Like I said these motors are Jesus like.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea they are almost on par with a ls1 but still kinda lacking... without a supercharger they are still just reg old 4v's

firstonraceday

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
yea they are almost on par with a ls1 but still kinda lacking... without a supercharger they are still just reg old 4v's
Im confused on the lacking part. Show me some 1000 horse stock ls1s please :thumb:

OP
OP

96GTvert

Reaction score
I heard that some Terminator motors have belt slip with an upgraded pulley and that some get piston slap, as well? Has anyone ever had experience with this? I've seen some videos of Termi's street racing and having really bad belt slip that causes them to lose. 1 video in particular, a modded 03 Cobra (I think it had somethin' like 519 rwhp) in several clips racing a TT C5Z and then later on in the video racing a C6Z that, I think, was stock. The Termi should have definitely won the race, but due to really bad belt slippage, it lost. It was insane, you could hear the supercharger, plain as day, spoolin' up to 15psi and then the belt starts to slip and the whine from the supercharger goes from sounding really loud to sounding like the guy drivin' it beginning to let off the throttle. In the video they say every time the Cobra raced that it got belt slip in 3rd. I don't think they ever did any runs from a dig, I think they were all 2nd/3rd and maybe a couple 4th gear runs from 60mph and as soon as that 3rd beep of the horn the Cobra would take off, pullin' on both the C5Z and the C6Z until it would get belt slip (from what I can remember about the vid). Has anyone ever seen this video? I believe the Cobra was black, the TT C5Z was dark blue and the C6Z was black or dark blue, but I can't be sure about the C6Z color. I will try and dig up the link to the video and post it up, but if anyone else has the link, feel free to throw it up. It's a badass video.

Also, I'm tryin' to decide on the exhaust to get for my 96 GT Convertible. If anyone has any idle/rev videos of their cars with nice sounding exhaust could they please post or pm me with vids or link to vids? I would much appreciate it.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The smaller the pulley the worse the belt slip, since there's less surface area for the belt to grab onto. They usually add an extra idler pulley at some point.

But crying belt slip is just someone losing and looking for an excuse. I don't care if the other guy's car get's struck by a flying piece of space poop, a win is a win.

And the poor little Eaton, really shouldn't be spun as fast as some guy's are trying to spin it. You hit a point of diminishing returns, where you are past the peak of compressor efficiency. You'll see, in Cobra's with the 2.7 and smaller pulley's, the dyno curve, and boost will fall off rapidly in the upper ranges. It's because they are spinning the blower so fast, it's heating the air more than it's compressing it.

Personally, when I had mine, I intended to not do a damn thing with the Eaton, except sell it to some chump, and drop a box-stock Whipple on it, with a cherry on top, 600 rwhp at 15 psi, done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online