04 Hood Latch

slant6forever

Reaction score
Have an 04 Mustang, the hood latch is not working. I've tried everything I know of, any ideas?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does it pop the hood but the secondary does work or does it not do anything?

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

OP
OP
S

slant6forever

Reaction score
It's a rebuilt car. It had a front end wreck before I bought it .But for the most part, it's a stock hood, or at least stock rebuilt.

I opened the hood on Friday because the air conditioner is having trouble - but that's another problem - so when I went to close the hood, it will not completely latch, the secondary latch is catching, but not the primary. I sprayed the latch with wd40, but that didn't help and it doesn't seem like the cable from the handle is the problem either.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The latch may need to be relocated up a little bit to get it to catch. That would be my guess since it's been in a front end collision

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried dropping it from a couple feet up? Our hoods don't like being pushed shut, they like to drop into place.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ what monkey said.

The hood latches can also be adjusted slightly up and down (like killnthrill said) or even side to side. You can try playing with this to see if it helps.

Also on my 94 I had an aftermarket hood that closed really rough for a few years. Then last year it wouldnt close at all, I tried playing around with it and no help. The cable then broke one day so I went looking for a new one. It ended up that I had the wrong style of latch? The hooks were on the wrong side to latch properly but somehow were able to latch on the wrong side good enough. No I can close my hood with a small push.

So check to make sure it is the right latch... if it was rebuilt, the wrong latch could have been put on. It seems there was a few style of latches on these cars.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got my latch on the red car from CJ's. If I remember correctly they had the best deal on a latch and cable set