180 degree headers?

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
On a thread revival spree here because I've been away from the forums for a while. Busy with school and stuff.

180* headers are a no-go so far. I have however done a LOT of reading about it. I even had a conversation with an automotive engineer about it. I picked up a lot of info and will probably dump some tech about it in another thread if anybodys interested.

However... This plan is not abandoned. So far my plan goes as follows:

- Get a set of long tube headers

- Chop them up before the collectors

- Use flexible tubing and some duct tape to map out the route for the headers

- Get a header kit from Summit

- Fab up my own exhaust of the opposing primaries and run them wherever I can meanwhile trying to keep the length constant.

This probably won't happen until I am done with the school year. But I still REALLY want to do it. My biggest concern will be making them as close to equal length as possible. Also I have some worries about ground clearance from running pipes underneath the subframe where there isn't exhaust routing already. But thats where the flexible tubing will help.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good luck to you on being origional.
As you already know, there's not much clearance under the stock K member. A tubular might help this some.

maybe some of that "flexable exhaust repair tubing" you can use to mock up the routing without having to cut up perfectly good headers.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well im glad to hear you're not abandoning it...

and I'd love to read a 180* tech thread stickied in the exhaust section ;)

you could always try and go for a square-shaped pipe on the bottom, instead of round...... just a thought.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Well I already know I won't be able to fit much underneath the K member, I'll most likely have to run them more near where the X pipe already crosses over now. Which is why I could keep the longtubes the same except for cutting off the collector. But we will see! I'm also going to do an experiment on changing the sound of my 4 banger first. If that works, then I'll tackle the Mustang.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyUWHozAvM

The R1 uses a cross plane crank in its I4 rather than a 180* crank. Since it has this crank, it has uneven firing intervals which gives it that sound.

FoPmaZO.jpg

So by this theory, I could alter the lengths of the individual primaries to have the final pulses exiting to mimic that firing order. Haven't done the math, but in theory I feel like it would accomplish something similar. It would suck performance wise on the 4cyl because it would kill exhaust scavenging at low RPM, but I dont care! lol

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Did the math for this, I would have to add .62 meters of pipe to the 1 and 4 primaries, so roughly 2 feet of piping to mimic an extra 90* of timing on the exhaust note. So it doesn't seem that bad and in theory should improve scavenging, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I want to do it to my 4 cylinder first before I were to do it to the mustang I think. Seems like a cool project though.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
It could get hard trying to shove an extra 2' in a already tight engine bay. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking too, but they would be running under near the oil pan, but the stock K member might get in the way too.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
This is one of the few threads I actually check on randomly. Good luck. Keep us posted.
About the best advise i got. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

WhiteFaleen2001

Reaction score
interesting idea for sure. i have never heard of 180 degree headers before but that gt40 sounded pissed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online